Looking at buying a Viper

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ok, so I'm looking, but I've got some questions. I want to get a car that fits what I like to do and is reasonable (price wise). I always end up modifying a car so buying a Viper that is already modded or doesn't lend itself (newest model) probably isn't what I'm looking for. Like the hardtops so what would be a good fit (year) and price?

John

H

HHGT

Call Bernie at www.bjmotors.biz If he can't help you, no one will.

BTW, ask him if the American Made SnatchMobile is available for a test drive.:wink

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Bernie does know his vipers......

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
i am not a site sponsor just a member but i do have the following for sale (i'm down sizing)

1996 GTS 8K miles original owner, all docs
1998 GTS R 940 miles, all documents
2006 VOI 9 5 miles, all docs, still wrapped
2008 ACR Orange/Black solid Hood, 5 delivery miles
all docs, still wrapped.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
If you want a car that is more civilized, but still can be modded, then you have to go with an 06 SRT10 coupe. The newer 08-09 Vipers are harder to mod. Otherwise you can go with a Gen 2. I would stick with a 97-99 since they have forged internals. The Gen 2 Vipers are a little more hardcore, but will hold their value well, and are considered the best looking, most desirable Viper. If you want to road race the car, go with the new ACR.

BJ Motor

*Supporting Vendor*
Jan 15, 2007
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
I am happy to help with q&a. Rocman is corret the 08/09 (Gen IV) cars have all new technology, cam in cam, new pcm, new transmission, more horse power. About the only mods right now are headers, exhaust and upgraded pcm. Call me 1-804-784-7208.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Go with a convertible, this way you double your enjoyment. I have a supercharged 04, I call the GT my winter car and the Viper my summer car, even though there's only a 5 degree change in SanClemente. The Viper is an easy car to work on and responds well to most of the usual Mods.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I have owned a 2001 Gen II Viper for many years and it is heavily modded. There is an endless supply of mods on the market for Gen 2 cars. There are a couple of things to consider...1999 model year and older have forged pistons that hold up well to mods. Of course, the Gen 2 - 2001-2002 model years added anti-lock breaks. Anti-lock would be expensive to add so I would recommend if you are interested in modding anyway, go with a 2001-2002 if interested in a Gen 2 car. Swapping to forged pistons is cheaper than adding anti-lock breaks. Once you are making mods and taking off the heads (which you will want Gregg Good to port/polish), swapping the pistons is a piece of cake. In todays market, I would look for a car that has low miles and the mods already done if you will be modding anyway. Many of these modded cars have low miles and have added power for bragging rights and have never been raced. Buying a car with the mods already done will allow you to pay pennies on the dollar and save. Feel free to PM me if you have questions...