Local Dealer messed up lifting my car. How can I know what damage was done?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I took my GT in for the half shaft change out today. Dealer is SVT, and has a GT certified mechanic. I asked to be in the shop when they did the work and they said OK before I took it in. Long story short, they made me wait in customer lounge until car was on the lift. When I looked under the car, I told the mechanic that they did not use the factory lift points. He showed me the service print out, I showed him the lift points and he said "Oh."

Got the service manager and the dealership GM and told them they had messed up and showed them where inner rear wheel well was crunched and that car was sitting whopper jawed onthe lift.

After some more discussion, they put the rear wheels back on, put the car down and arranged for me to take it to another dealer with a drive on lift, said they would replace the inner rear wheel well.

My concern is bent frame due to how the car was sitting on it. Took a number of pictures for records. How do I determine if the extent of the damage beyond the belly pans (which I found on my lift when I got home) and the wheel well?

They used 2x4s!!!!
GT on Lift 001.jpg

Shows crunched inner wheel well
GT on Lift 004.JPG

GT on Lift 007.JPG

GT on Lift 012.jpg
Note how far from the front jack points they lifted the car, and how the car seemed to be twisted some sitting on the lift. I pointed that out to both GM and Service Mgr.

Needless to say, I am sick about this. I looked in and around the rear part of frame where they jacked it and the inverted L-shaped piece extending from the frame is not bent.

Given where they lifted the car and how....should I be contacting Ford myself about this, and if so, who?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
HAVE A PRO INSPECT IT. That's the best way.

And, if this "GT certified" mechanic didn't even know where the lift points are on the car, I'd have serious doubts about the quality of the work he did on the bolts. I'd have THAT checked out as well.

(Krymuny ...I'm steamin' and it's not even my car...)

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What part of the country are you in? Need experienced people to look at this. Probably best with theGTGuys near Detroit.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I live in SW Missouri, between Springfield and Branson. They did not do the bolts. After I saw the car on the lift, I took pics and told them to put it back down and lift it correctly. Their lift could not reach the lift points, so that is when they arranged to transfer the work to Friendly Ford in Sprinfield, MO. Does anyone have any input on them and GT service?

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The rear I would say you are OK other than the marks in may have put in the belly pan as there is a part of the frame that goes across the bottom of the rear belly pan. The fronts I am not so sure about. I cant believe the front is even holding and not buckling....

Once the wheels are back on and the car can be lifted CORRECTLY, lift it back up and inspect. Look closely at the lower rocker panels as it may have cracked the paint.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Without everyone on this Forum giving advise I would suggest that the GT-Guys who are experienced and originally built these cars can give better advise from the pictures than anyone. There may or may not be damage to vital parts of this vehicle but speculation on members part I don't think is what this owner needs. Please experienced members only give advise. If I were the owner I would be upset enough and would want expert advise only and not a wild guess. Tomy Hamon PS I wouldn't want my own GT mechanic guessing.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Although I wouldn't do it, I believe you can lift the front at other points across the front of the specific frame section without damage, but the back end is a different story.

The damage is likely mostly cosmetic, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

The dealer tech didn't know wtf he was doing.:confused

Sorry,
mardyn

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Without everyone on this Forum giving advise I would suggest that the GT-Guys who are experienced and originally built these cars can give better advise from the pictures than anyone. There may or may not be damage to vital parts of this vehicle but speculation on members part I don't think is what this owner needs. Please experienced members only give advise. If I were the owner I would be upset enough and would want expert advise only and not a wild guess. Tomy Hamon PS I wouldn't want my own GT mechanic guessing.

I would say my advise is pretty good as we lift these cars almost EVERY day on our lifts and remove the belly pans on a regular basis. Again, you are right as it is really impossible to tell until you have dropped the rear belly pans and looked at the damage. It will be very clear and easy on the rear to asses the damage. The front is a different story although there are several places under the front belly pans that meet or touch the frame and would be OK to lift on other than scratching or denting the belly pans on the front. Sorry for your misfortune :frown

Last edited:

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Make them replace whatever ends up damaged and the car will be fine. Drive it hard and this unpleasant experience will soon fade from your memory!

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I hate to see things like that. That's a real shame. Another way good GT techs get a bad name.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Have the GTGuys take a look at it. They know these cars inside and out and, in my opinion, are the only ones I would trust to evaluate the damage. PD

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
HAVE A PRO INSPECT IT. That's the best way.

And, if this "GT certified" mechanic didn't even know where the lift points are on the car, I'd have serious doubts about the quality of the work he did on the bolts. I'd have THAT checked out as well.

(Krymuny ...I'm steamin' and it's not even my car...)

GOOD POINT. GET IT CHECKED!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Shelby, What lift do you have that will reach?

I would say my advise is pretty good as we lift these cars almost EVERY day on our lifts and remove the belly pans on a regular basis. Again, you are right as it is really impossible to tell until you have dropped the rear belly pans and looked at the damage. It will be very clear and easy on the rear to asses the damage. The front is a different story although there are several places under the front belly pans that meet or touch the frame and would be OK to lift on other than scratching or denting the belly pans on the front. Sorry for your misfortune :frown

I have about 10 different type's and none of them work, so we use drive on's. Anybody else have info on above ground lifts that the arms will hit the lift points?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Macjec,

I will be passing through your neck of the woods early next week on my way to Michigan. I'll be going up I-44 right through Springfield. Maybe I can swing over your way and take a look at the damage. I'll have most of my GT tools and equipment with me.

Rich :thumbsup

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Most general use two post lift pads will not work. I had to make my own to lift them and they work perfectly. It's the best way to do it. You must get the lift pads in the rear on the square section of frame in the belly pan opening only.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have about 10 different type's and none of them work, so we use drive on's. Anybody else have info on above ground lifts that the arms will hit the lift points?

Our lift is a drive on with rolling air jacks. I will take pics tomorrow of a GT on the lift and jacks. Our lift also is a lift that can be moved easily. Has these cool castor wheels and brackets that install in about 1 mintue and 2 people can easily roll it around the shop. It has worked perfect for everything on the GT. There is nothing that we cant do on this lift yet with the GT.

blownaway

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2006
Lift

Looks like the lift may be an asymetrical lift and they had to crowd car over to the far right to exit out of car. That will in itself make car look crooked on lift because arms are extended all the way out on one side (which will cause that side to sag) and in closer on the other. I have seen this on several occasions when cars are lifted and are not truly centered when picked up. Also if lift cables are not adjusted periodicly they wont pick up evenly. Dont think you have a problem as far as being a little out of plumb on lift ... still that hurts to see someone not going the extra mile to make sure car is lifted correctly. Sorry to see it happen to car and you.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
GT Tech
Thanks for the offer. I am about 30 mi south of I44 and Hwy 65 Junction. Depending on what day you are coming through, it may work. I am supposed to take car to the other Ford dealer on Tuesday but the forecast is for thunderstorms, and if that happens, I will reschedule the 1/2 shaft fix.

I plan to pull off belly pans tomorrow and look for any obvious problems from the jack fiasco today.

What is best way to contact you to discuss?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
PM sent :thumbsup

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Recommended provider list.

It just goes to show that the certificate on the wall does not always equate to talent in the the pits. I would like to see a FAQ on experienced service providers giving the dealer name and the qualified technician's name. We should compile list from owners experiences of good work and lsit those as a reference for owners seeking service. I have not yet had my shaft bolts replaced and am concerned about taking it in with out a solid reference. It's obvious there are dealerships with SVT certified techs that don't have a clue.