lift points for jack stands...

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Hey sorry for the "dumb" question, but where exactly is the best place to lift the car to pull the rear wheels off? Without a standard rear-end housing, its different underthere then I have ever seen.... thanks for the help!!

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
Hey sorry for the "dumb" question, but where exactly is the best place to lift the car to pull the rear wheels off? Without a standard rear-end housing, its different underthere then I have ever seen.... thanks for the help!!

Contact jay at gtsavor.com. He has a kit and instructions.

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006

His phone # is 1-949-412-8889

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

If you lay a yardstick down on the floor ACROSS the tire tread in FRONT of the rear tire (in other words, lay the yardstick down 90 degrees to the car's direction of travel ) ...and measure INBOARD 26" FROM THE OUTSIDE SIDEWALL, you'll see a square hole in the belly pan. THAT'S the lift point. (You'll pbly need to lay a mirror under there to see it ... or back the car onto something that'll LIFT the car up a bit so you can see under there.)

There are corresponding holes in the front end too measuring in from the REAR of the front tire tread the same way. (Don't remember the EXACT distance "inboard" up there.)

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Just hit the nearest curb going 50MPH and that will get your rear end up in the air!:biggrin :rofl

Yes, contact Jay at GT Saver.:thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
lift points

My dealer that sold me my GT gave me the "Ford GT Dealer Handbook" which I believe is an info booklet for dealers & salesmen. It's probably in the large maintenance manual I bought also. It shows a diagram of the lift points. Just don't lift it on any plastic. The lift points are black painted metal with a hole. They are around 2" square. You can see them when laying on the floor. They are much closer to the midline of the belly than one would think. I use a small piece of soft pine wood on my jack to lift the GT. My friend uses a hockey puck. Jay's plastic pieces have the tip to fit into the lift point hole. I haven't had any slippage problems using the soft wood. It would be cool to use Jay's, but I've done it this way for years with no problem. There is another past thread if you search on this topic. Put it into the search feature of this site. Good luck.

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My dealer that sold me my GT gave me the "Ford GT Dealer Handbook" which I believe is an info booklet for dealers & salesmen. It's probably in the large maintenance manual I bought also. It shows a diagram of the lift points.

Ed

Someone here on the Forum (waaaay back) pointed out that the SHOP MANUAL drawing ('don't know about the "handbook") actually shows the 'points in the WRONG place! Dat's nice!

ftmyersgt

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Ft. Myers, Fl
Contact the Ford GT Hot Line, they'll fax you info on raising the car, right from service manual.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Lift points w/image!

Someone here on the Forum (waaaay back) pointed out that the SHOP MANUAL drawing ('don't know about the "handbook") actually shows the 'points in the WRONG place! Dat's nice!
EP is correct,

Here is what I use for my car. Ford's lifting points are wrong in all manuals that I have seen. If followed, the rear section of the car could end up with thousands of dollars worth of body damage. As far as know, all documentation is still incorrect!

See GTsaver products at: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Thanks all, Jay

Lifting%20Points%20updated%20with%20dim%20small.gif

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Service manual updated?

Contact the Ford GT Hot Line, they'll fax you info on raising the car, right from service manual.
Hi ftmyersgt,

I think that the service manuals are still incorrect on lifting the rear section of the car. Please advise is this has been updated. Thanks, Jay

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
lift points recommended by Ford

I just checked again. The 2005 Ford GT Workshop Manual shows different rear lift points than in Jay's diagram but it shows 4 lift points for the front "Either lift point for the front is acceptable to use." See pages 100-02-1 to 100-02-2. Actually the diagram/drawing in the manual looks like the same as Jay's minus the 2 additional front lift points & more inboard rear points. I looked under the car & found the metal lift points that I've always used. I never really used the manual. Jay's points are the same as the ones I use.
Thanks Jay.

Ed