Lift Help

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a 2008 Ferrari Scuderia. It is a very fun car to drive. Had it a little over a month and already have installed headers, custom exhaust, more CF bits and a tune. Car screams! Unfortunately, my garage is not big enough to store my wife's truck and both my fun cars.

Wife will not park outside (tried to bribe her, but she isn't moving.

I am storing the FGT and want to bring it home. Drive it the other day and it blows away the F-car.

Looked at many different lifts and the one I am thinking the most about is the Bend Pak PLT-6s. It's a very cool cantilever style lift. No way I can fit a 4 post lift and I will not be servicing the cars, so under car access isn't an issue. Space is.

My question is, does anyone have this lift? Any thoughts on this lift?

The platform width of the lift is 79.1".

The width of the FGT is 76.9" (according to Google, since I don't have the FGt with me). I am worried the FGT will be too wide for the platform.

If anyone has this lift I am interested in hearing if you have any problems.

The F-car will have about 1.5" on each side of clearance. The FGT is wider.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The 76.x" dimension is the overall width of the GT, including the mirrors. This dimension doesn't help you determine how much room you have on the platform. You need the overall width of the car at the height of the platform side rails. I think the track of the GT is roughly 63-64", so I'm guessing the width at the height of the side rails is about 65". It's still a very close fit.

You should chalk out the patform on the floor and set up soft stanchions (paper towels rolls, etc.) to see how comfortable you feel about parking between the platform rails.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
A wise man once told me to get the widest possible lift you can fit in the garage. If I had not listened, I would not drive the car as much due to parking difficulty. Also, my wife implemented the same no parking outside when I picked up my scud, the lift was the perfect solution.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The ramps on my Bendpak HD9 are 76" outside edge to outside edge. The GT rear tires are 77". The sidewalls bulge a bit more.

The GT is ~82" wide at the mirrors.

You need to ask Bendpak if the mirrors will clear. I do not see a spec for that. Maximum width above the platform appears to be somewhat greater than platform width.

You also need to confirm that platform width is an inside measurement.

Assuming the mirrors fit, the question is how comfortable are you with only 1" clearance on each side? With wheel edges and side splitters below the top of the "curbs."

I didn't see a spec for ramp angle. The ramp looks a bit steep for a low clearance car.

It's a cool idea, but I think I would be freaked out even with a ground guide. Heck, your ground guide would be freaked out too.

Last edited:

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I would just build a bigger garage or get a new wife who does not drive.

Or even less expensive, just hire a chauffeur to drive her wherever she wants to go.

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
I dont think this lift is going to work. It's too close for me.

I currently have the FGT in storage and have 24/7 access. It's not that expensive to keep in storage. I would hate to get this lift and have it not fit or be too close for comfort.

Looks like I am stuck not having both cars at home.

Bummed out in dallas!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Regarding BendPak's factory-supplied measurements...especially their max lift height clearance measurements: check them out in person.

I learned the hard way what they claim, and what actually IS, can be two different things...and in my own experience were.

Seriously, I'd make an effort to find someone in your area who has a PLT-6 (maybe a B.P. dealer in Tx has a demo) and head over to his place with a tape measure in hand. 'Might be best to drive over in your GT and see how/if it adequately clears every little piece, part, and doo-dad on the hoist itself, because, looking at demo videos, it appears there could be clearance 'issues' here-and-there during the lifting process that one might never have thought of/considered:

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/parking-lifts/plt-6s.aspx

'Just my $.02.

:cheers

(Edit: Well, I see that, during the time I was working on finding video links, etc. - you'd already decided! :lol :thumbsup)

Last edited:
I have a friend who got one a couple of weeks ago, In fact, I went over to see it last Sunday. If you would PM me your specific questions, I'll get the answers for you in a few days. My impression was that the GT would fit under it OK, but I didn't take many measurements. I did measure the distance between the floor supports - I believe it was 87 inches, and the overall depth of the thing on the floor (not the lift platform) was 10 feet.

Last edited:

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
This should help you:

My GT fits just fine under/on this lift. It is an Atlas Garage Pro 8000 and I bought it from Greg Smith Equipment Co. I have had these three lifts for two years now without an issue. Assembly took a folk truck and two guys about 3 hours.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have the BP HD-9XW-B.
Works for everything.
Take a look.
Best,
Mark

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Sorry, missed the point that you don't have the room for a 4 post.
Best of luck.
Mark

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry, missed the point that you don't have the room for a 4 post.
Best of luck.
Mark

Oops, me too. But, I also had a two post and it took up more room than the four post b/c it was wider. Be careful with the two post, nothing but problems for me.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Oops, me too. But, I also had a two post and it took up more room than the four post b/c it was wider. Be careful with the two post, nothing but problems for me.
I looked at two-post before I got my 4-post (direct-lift). I find it curious when someone does not have room for a lift.
If "room" means height, I have 9 foot ceilings, but even with 8' I would still do it in a heart beat. Depending on the depth of the garage, I would off-set it from the door (to mitigate door impact) and also this allows you to nose your daily driver's hood under the car on the lift...reducing the overall footprint of two cars.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
i recently purchased a 2008 ferrari scuderia. .

WHY ?????????????? :facepalm:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I recently purchased a 2008 Ferrari Scuderia.

WHY ?????????????? :facepalm:

Why else? Because he wanted it.

'Good enough reason for me...Jeeeeeerzee.

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
I looked at two-post before I got my 4-post (direct-lift). I find it curious when someone does not have room for a lift.
If "room" means height, I have 9 foot ceilings, but even with 8' I would still do it in a heart beat. Depending on the depth of the garage, I would off-set it from the door (to mitigate door impact) and also this allows you to nose your daily driver's hood under the car on the lift...reducing the overall footprint of two cars.

Can you post a picture?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Why else? Because he wanted it.

'Good enough reason for me...Jeeeeeerzee.

Larry,

To me it sounds like..

Pay more.............Get less.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Value is in the eye of the beholder" - Pocket's Pontification #2001

Happy Turkey Day 2U2 - and a Merry Christmas, too! :biggrin

To do this requires a very deep garage - I would guess at least 1 1/2 car lengths (vehicle dependent of course). My garage is 23 feet deep and I don't think it would quite deep enough to do that.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think if the OP had posted a pic, it would all be clear. It sounds like he has a standard two car garage. And his wife has a truck. Given that, there is no way any kind of lift will work to get him an extra space.

"Room" here doesn't mean height. It means width. Unless the OP has misrepresented his situation.

Given the facts presented, he is ****ed.