Life inside the electic fence

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82755

I'd love to see it first hand, if I thought I'd ever live to tell anyone about it...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wow. Those pictures remind me so much of a trip I took to Cuba right after the fall of the Soviet Union. If you threw in a few palm trees and changed the people it would be exactly like Cuba was. Strange lack of cars on wide streets.

Most ironic thing about my visit to Havana was that the price for admission to the National Revolutionary Museum (complete with captured Bay of Pigs US tank out front) was shown as $3.00. Yes, that is right, three US dollars, no Cuban pesos accepted, hard currency only.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, looks like just Iron Curtain countries until the Wall came down. A lot of Eastern European places still look this way away from the bigger cities. These are the "Worker's Paradises!"

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have seen similar in Eastern Europe. Berlin was an amazing city while the wall was up, West Berlin was thriving with musuems, theatre, culture, fine restaurants and East Berlin looked like the war ended five years earlier.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Fantastic link Dave. What a shame-all those people living under the thumb of that fruitcake. I thank the Almighty God every morning that I was born in a free country and can enjoy the fruits of my hard work.

Let's face it, communism sucks the big one.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
bony said:
...East Berlin looked like the war ended five years earlier.

Pretty much the same way now. Same city; different worlds.

You really have to wonder just how little your average north korean knows about the world. Or how little we really know about them. The few westerners that see it all recognize that they are seeing an elaborate show preprogrammed into the citizenry from birth.

It's all the more shocking given the extremely sophisticated nature of South Korea. One of the most technologically advanced countries in the world.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sinovac said:
I thank the Almighty God every morning that I was born in a free country and can enjoy the fruits of my hard work.

Let's face it, communism sucks the big one.

I'm with you on both counts! :usa

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Whoa, no one told me the matrix was in fact NK...

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
So..... who wants the '08 rally to be there????? Yeah... I'm kidding :lol
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting... :frown

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Prnk

Thanks for this link.
Very brave man that took these photo's and did the related commentary.
Well done and informative.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bony, I spent lots of time in both Berlins. We'll have to swap stories sometime.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
Bony, I spent lots of time in both Berlins. We'll have to swap stories sometime.

Hey Frank, I would like that. I had the rights to all the beers from the DDR for the Americas. Lots of great tails to swap, I remember crossing over the border, I had a German employee as a liason guy and worked with a Swiss Company, SCHENK, and one of the directors would often times help me with negociations. We all met in Berlin and each of us went through another border crossing. Then we would stay in the National Palace Hotel which was had world class accomodations. The folks that we worked with stayed in a hostel, they were not allowed to stay in that hotel.

There was no other city in the world where you could see positive growth and excitement on one side of a wall and on the other a war torn slum... made me grateful for what we have, freedom and democracy.