Lexus LFA

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
for that kinda of money id get a CGT all day, pretty sure those wont go down in price anytime soon.
:agree:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
It's still a f@cking Lexus...and while they may sound great, we're talking about a Japanese "supercar", not an Italian exotic, or even an FGT. By standards in 2003, that may have been an outrageous car, but today, it's just an outrageous price for a car that IMO, will just sink in value and what does it do that it's so special. It's cute, but it hasn't got the appeal of a Murci /Aventador or an FGT - and for 380k??????

The MP412C does everything better - for over 150k less.

I think the LFA is a glorified GTR...and it's worth maybe 75k more than the GTR, just because GTR's are 100k and are fugly, whereas the LFA is actually nice looking. If I had a spare 400K, I'd have a good look at a lot of other cars long before an LFA. CGT/Aventador/Murci etc...but, I digress...

I am a Lexus dealer so you might believe that I am a bit biased. I am far from a track driver but following are my thoughts:
The V10 power plant is one of the best attributes of the vehicle. From start right up to the red line this car sounds as impressive as it drives. My experience with the car took me to a Lexus sponsored ride and drive at the Palm Beach Motorsports Park where Scott Pruitt took the attendees on some hot laps prior to letting us behind the wheel. The LFA delighted and surprised me at every turn. One of the thoughts I was left with is that you can drive it hard on the track, pull out on the street and drive it like a commuter car with little or no additional effort, as I also did on the highways around Tuscon. The price on the car may be hard for some to swallow, but with only 500 produced it may pay off in the long run...but only time will tell. I watched the video on the LFA/NSX to the end. Initially, I was surprised at his comments regarding the steering on the LFA which he did softened toward the end of the video. John Scanlon

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So........why does he keep saying the transmission is so bad?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Way overpriced by a TON.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Not sure why all the negativity on the LFA. I would love one. A high powered exotic made by perhaps the highest quality manufacturer in the world with crazy customer service. And 500 made?

Unless Lexus decides to jump in with both feet in exotics world, I have a hard time imagining this car doing anything but going up.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for your post John. The LFA does sound awesome. I think the car gets a bad rap because its performance stats weren't mind blowing when it came out. I recall reviewers panning the single clutch automatic too. I don't have enough experience with automated manuals to know if they were just nitpicking. I am likely never to have the experience either since I drive cars with 3 pedals built for men. :lol

I hope you post more. You are averaging only 1 post every 2.3 years. You sell cars so I know you have lots to say. :)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure why all the negativity on the LFA. I would love one. A high powered exotic made by perhaps the highest quality manufacturer in the world with crazy customer service. And 500 made?

Unless Lexus decides to jump in with both feet in exotics world, I have a hard time imagining this car doing anything but going up.

I don't really see it, but I could be wrong. There were plenty of limited-production vehicles throughout history that ended up in the junk pile as a worthless hunk of metal.

I think they decided to pull a "Ford" with a very limited production supercar, but stopped well short of making it something really spectacular. Ford did a much better job IMO, but that's just my opinion. For me, it's just way overpriced for what it is - but that being said, i wouldn't want one even at 100k.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Transmission shifts very smooth and works great. I have driven everything under the sun, including 2 different Veyrons. The Lexus is definitely a great car. FBA, how much seat time have you had in the LFA? Are you commenting on looks, stats, other people's reviews or first hand experience? I'm sorry buddy, but I think you are being a little harsh and close minded on it because it was produced in Japan... :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Transmission shifts very smooth and works great. I have driven everything under the sun, including 2 different Veyrons. The Lexus is definitely a great car. FBA, how much seat time have you had in the LFA? Are you commenting on looks, stats, other people's reviews or first hand experience? I'm sorry buddy, but I think you are being a little harsh and close minded on it because it was produced in Japan... :)

Change "Lexus" to "Ford", "LFA" to "Ford GT", and "Japan" to "America", and just like Yogi Berra said, it's déjà vu all over again.

Personally, I always thought my old man had it right when he said to never buy a car from a country we fought a war against. I guess a Mexican built GMC isn't in the cards for me.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Change "Lexus" to "Ford", "LFA" to "Ford GT", and "Japan" to "America", and just like Yogi Berra said, it's déjà vu all over again.

Personally, I always thought my old man had it right when he said to never buy a car from a country we fought a war against. I guess a Mexican built GMC isn't in the cards for me.
...or any German or Italian cars either.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
...but Chinese and Russian cars are fair game. Can't wait to sample the next communist supercar.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Agree with Shelby. There are lots of cars that I wouldn't want. The Veyron, for starters--hideously expensive and to me, not great looking. But hey, different strokes, right?

Don't know if the LFA is going down in value or not. They only made 500 of them, so out of the 7.103 billion people in the world, you don't need TOO many takers before that price begins to look pretty stable...

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Shelby, no, I have not driven one - and my opinion isn't based on that either, obviously. I am harsh on it, yes, because it was built in Japan? Probably has a lot to do with it - but I just don't see the appeal of a Lexus for close to 400k...nor do I see the value, for me. That's only my opinion, but it's how I feel. Given 400k, I'd buy 3-4 different cars that I would enjoy and will probably own at some point, but a Lexus isn't in the picture...even if it is a great car. Ferrari's are high in demand and many want them; I don't like them - have had a few and will never buy one again. I'm not brand loyal, in fact I can't stand Ford, and don't much like Ford cars and especially Ford Trucks, but love the FGT. I would buy a CGT/ Aventador/ MP412C and a few other cars. I won't buy a GTR, I think that's got the rear end of a late model Malibu and the front of a 370...it's ugly to me. Many say it's a great car, but at any price, not something I'd bother with.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
So you can't stand Fords, GTRs are ugly, will never own another Ferrari, and don't like LFAs because they are made in Japan. Not to be confused with a car guy eh lol?

Shelby, no, I have not driven one - and my opinion isn't based on that either, obviously. I am harsh on it, yes, because it was built in Japan? Probably has a lot to do with it - but I just don't see the appeal of a Lexus for close to 400k...nor do I see the value, for me. That's only my opinion, but it's how I feel. Given 400k, I'd buy 3-4 different cars that I would enjoy and will probably own at some point, but a Lexus isn't in the picture...even if it is a great car. Ferrari's are high in demand and many want them; I don't like them - have had a few and will never buy one again. I'm not brand loyal, in fact I can't stand Ford, and don't much like Ford cars and especially Ford Trucks, but love the FGT. I would buy a CGT/ Aventador/ MP412C and a few other cars. I won't buy a GTR, I think that's got the rear end of a late model Malibu and the front of a 370...it's ugly to me. Many say it's a great car, but at any price, not something I'd bother with.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
It's still a f@cking Lexus...and while they may sound great, we're talking about a Japanese "supercar", not an Italian exotic, or even an FGT. By standards in 2003, that may have been an outrageous car, but today, it's just an outrageous price for a car that IMO, will just sink in value and what does it do that it's so special. It's cute, but it hasn't got the appeal of a Murci /Aventador or an FGT - and for 380k??????

The MP412C does everything better - for over 150k less.

I think the LFA is a glorified GTR...and it's worth maybe 75k more than the GTR, just because GTR's are 100k and are fugly, whereas the LFA is actually nice looking. If I had a spare 400K, I'd have a good look at a lot of other cars long before an LFA. CGT/Aventador/Murci etc...but, I digress...

I just drove one. I have owned two gtrs, a 10 and a 12. It is by no way at gtr. Its a great car. If its overpriced thats a personal opinion. If you have not driven either car then you really don't know. Lastly, I also own a german supercar and an italian one as well and I can tell you they have their flaws as well. Dont kid yourself about that.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
My 2 cents ... I'm sure it's a fine car with excellent build quality given it's a Lexus. However its Japanese heritage comes through loud and clear in its design ... which I find not particularly pretty or agressive looking for a supercar. The rear end in particular looks strange to my eye. Of course, that's why they make ice cream in lots of flavors ... to each his own.

usmcfred

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
One mean sounding machine .....

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I just drove one. I have owned two gtrs, a 10 and a 12. It is by no way at gtr. Its a great car. If its overpriced thats a personal opinion. If you have not driven either car then you really don't know. Lastly, I also own a german supercar and an italian one as well and I can tell you they have their flaws as well. Dont kid yourself about that.
I have owned several German and Italian cars prior to today...and by no means am I saying they're flawless, in fact quite the opposite. Every car has flaws. All my cars and trucks have some stupid issue with them, but I deal with that; no issue there. I've also driven GTR's more than once but it's still not a car I'd ever want to own.

This is a personal preference - and nothing more. I do however feel the LFA is still nothing more than an expensive GTR and isn't worth 400k and that's my opinion, nothing more. It's no match in performance to many other cars at half that price so, what is it supposed to be all about, looks and luxury? Why is it so great? Because it sounds good? What does it do so well at 400k that a McLaren can't for more than 100k less. At least I like what the McLaren looks like.

As usmcfred said, you can see its Japanese heritage easily. It does absolutely nothing for me (I find it ugly and cheap looking as well) even if it's fast and furious, which it's really not in any case. Is it because it basically drives itself that it's so great? No, I haven't driven one and have no desire to either. I won't buy one even if they go to 100k...the car really does nothing for me, it isn't any kind of speed demon, doesn't really have exceptional handling characteristics...etc. If I want a cheap fast Japanese car that drives itself, the GTR is quicker, and I don't want one of those either. So yes, I really do know! I know what I like and what I don't like...

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
So, how do you feel about the heritage of your 08 Ninja?