Left Turn signal - front.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Driving back from our Ford Executive Engineering car show today in Dearborn with the FGT.
LH Turn signal starts flashing on the IP at 'double rate' vs the RH signal
At home.
Seems the LH Front bulb is not working.

Is this a simple fix? ( Just a new bulb or major inner fender removal, tire , wheel , headlight removal etc ?
Advice .

andy (ajb)

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

redfish28

GT Owner
Sep 23, 2010
I slap that left light everytime before I drive it.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
damn... after reading 5 pages of posts dating back to 2011... including Ralphie's '2000 mile plan' and Frank's 'just go ahead and slap it" and now you guys that 'slap it before every drive' , I have come to the conclusion that it is just going in to Milliken Ford for a replacement whenever ....and I will signal my turns with my left arm out the open window until then...

Is there an 'engineering spec' on the 'slap".. ie velocity of the hand , all palm open or just partial open, tip speed of the longest finger etc cause I WILL try that this evening...
andy (ajb)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've had the same ongoing problem with my passenger side bulb. The firm slap used to work but now only rarely. I actually had the bulb removed and the contacts cleaned the last time it was in for service. Passenger side is apparently more involved as more stuff needs to be moved out of the way. Still doesn't work[emoji35]
I know it's functional since it works intermittently. What else could it be??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
You guys are engineering geniuses. !
1. Went out to the driveway,
2. put a microfiber towel on the LH Headlamp lens
3. one quick , medium ' spank '.
4. IT WORKS>
5. Drove down Woodward and back home..
6. Made a lot of LH /RH lane changes...works fine now.
7.Fixed !! (for how long ????)
Thanks to all.
andy (ajb)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Drove the car yesterday, got caught in a torrential downpour. All of a sudden left turn signal going 2x as fast. I checked today, and the rear was working front wasn't. I seemed to recall "the slap", and just tried it...............voila, works again. Just came in and used the search, and see that my memory isn't as bad as EP's!!! Now, I guess the question is, is this going to be an ongoing problem, or two slaps and done!!!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
You need to hire a "slapper", preferably a Ferrari owner who will enjoy the task.

Howard

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If the clickers are the same as older cars they work with a bimetallic switch the turns the lights on and off at a paced determined by the current flow. Faster clicks would indicate a higher than normal current flow. Because this happened after a downpour of rain I would suspect a short somewhere in the wiring due to the water. Not dead short (almost zero ohm) but a lessor short that increases the current flowing through the switch without opening the fuse. I would look for dirt combined with water at all connectors included the bulbs sockets used for that circuit. Dirt containing any soluble salts combined with water will conduct electricity.

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Just how many parts of our cars came out of the Lucas parts bin?

Gauges?

Turn signals?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I don't think any of the GT parts came from Lucas but I totally get your point!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Mine is still working after the 'slap ' several weeks ago. The Dealer tech told me it is actually the internal bulb filament rather than the contacts.
Anyway, a fairly involved process to get to the bulb for replacement.
I will do at my annual Oil Change .

andy (ajb)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Dealer tech told me it is actually the internal bulb filament rather than the contacts.

He's wrong. The filament itself is a very delicate piece of wire. When/if the filament breaks, its lights out. Naw, it is the contacts and it is plain to see if you remove the bulb which isn't THAT difficult. The contact wire loops will be black with oxidation. A new bulb along with a healthy dose of di-electric grease will give them at least another 10 years of life.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks Kendall.... I will print and show the Technician..
andy (ajb)