Leather Seat Wear from Seat Belts Running Through Guide Strap

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I believe there is a distinct possibility of the seat leather wearing where the shoulder belt slides through the upper seat strap guide. Given the cost of new seats and the cost of repair, it may pay to put some protective material in this area for the belt to slide through. I have done so with a sleeve of material supplied by the local Ford/Porsche/Exotic Car interior repair shop. I had to have a faulty seat back replaced, and noticed the rolled seam in this area on the old seat back was shiny from the belt sliding through it. With only a few miles on the car, it seemed this circumstance could eventually cause seat damage. Also, as a matter of interest, it took two seat back shipments from Ford to get a seat back that was not flawed: One had a cut in the leather and the other had a serious leather scuff. Both seat backs were in unopened boxes. When they finally shipped the "good" seat back, they only showed one seat back left in inventory...so this might become an issue as you use your car. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Could you post a picture of the sleeve you are using ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP never had a problem with this.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP never had a problem with this.

:bang :slap :tongue

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you have any interior /leather problems ;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would share .
Their is a man Named Steve Hemstock who is truly a master craftsman .He does high line upholstery ,restyling, lowering kit for head room and reproduction work . Steve has done all the GTX1 interiors,from custom seat work to dashes .( See the studio thread on the forum) If you need seats fixed or new leather skins ,custom stitching , Steve is a great guy to know .I can attest to him being a real down to earth good guy !! Very passionate about his work .A real pleasure to know and do business with .Also very well known and respected in the industry!His company name is Knights auto works
His phone # is 715-702-2727.
Hope this helps those in need !!

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
How to Make Protectors

It was a simple deal...just attach velcro to a black strip of soft material so when you roll the material the velcro attachment creates a cylinder shape out of the material. Wrap this around the shoulder belt and snap the seat belt guide over the material-wrapped shoulder belt. Place two other pieces of velcro on the material tube on either side of the leather guide strap. Cut an elongated material strap from the same material as the wrapping "tube", and attach the opposing velcro pieces to the ends of this material strap. Attach the material strap to the tube with the velcro, and it holds it in place as the shoulder belt slides back and forth through the material tube.

Could you post a picture of the sleeve you are using ?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
It was a simple deal...just attach velcro to a black strip of soft material so when you roll the material the velcro attachment creates a cylinder shape out of the material. Wrap this around the shoulder belt and snap the seat belt guide over the material-wrapped shoulder belt. Place two other pieces of velcro on the material tube on either side of the leather guide strap. Cut an elongated material strap from the same material as the wrapping "tube", and attach the opposing velcro pieces to the ends of this material strap. Attach the material strap to the tube with the velcro, and it holds it in place as the shoulder belt slides back and forth through the material tube.

Old Chinese proverb - A picture is worth a thousand words..

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I actually received a new passenger seat through warranty because of this very same problem.
Just before my 3 year was up, I brought her into Galpin to take care of some warranty stuff and my advisor said, "Lets request everything and see what we get" So we put the seat down because of the wear and Ford approved it.... vuala!!!! New seat...... I'm outta warranty now but HAPPY!!!!

H

HHGT

I'm calling Billy Mays. I can just hear it... The Seat Belt Condom...

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Speaking of warranties, I had my FGT in for service yesterday at a local Ford dealer and the OASIS report shows that I have a 2 year extention added to my original warranty. My original warranty is due to end in November 2009 but now has a 2011 date. Pennies from heaven or has anyone else noticed this? Ed

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dang, reading this thread is like having Mrs. Spirit providing commentary on ramdom unrelated subjects as I attempt to appear attentive.

So, what was the solution?

How bout a pic of the Seat Belt Condom?

I still can't visualize this thing, maybe I'm illiterate.

:sleep:

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
I would like to see a picture too. Thanks

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Say what?