Leather Care

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
My GT is 1 year old and ready for the first service. The manual says to treat the leather with a "premium" leather conditioner twice a year. The leather on other Ford vehicles is a completely different, very heavily surface pigmented type. The GT leather appears to be a semi-aniline type that would require a different conditioner. I am thinking of using Connolly Hide Food, especially on the dash as I can see the dash leather shrinking in a short time period. Does anybody know what the leather manufacturer recommends? I am concerned that most readily available conditioners are loaded with silicone that would give a "shiny" look.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Research any chemical first!

gwbartlett said:
My GT is 1 year old and ready for the first service. The manual says to treat the leather with a "premium" leather conditioner twice a year. The leather on other Ford vehicles is a completely different, very heavily surface pigmented type. The GT leather appears to be a semi-aniline type that would require a different conditioner. I am thinking of using Connolly Hide Food, especially on the dash as I can see the dash leather shrinking in a short time period. Does anybody know what the leather manufacturer recommends? I am concerned that most readily available conditioners are loaded with silicone that would give a "shiny" look.
I remember from about 25 years ago, a company that did leather for Rolls Royce said never to put anything on quality leather except for a little bit of water on a cleaning cloth. The chemicals sold at the time would do nothing except slowly damage the leather.

Personally, I feel that there is too much aftermarket crap that is not scientifically tested. It's there to see how much money they can extract from your wallet. Product testing is too expensive and very time consuming.

Also, be real careful when having auto detailers clean you car, as they will sometimes put anything convinient on your leather to change it's appearance, to make their cleaning job "look" better. The same goes for your tires, NO CHEMICALS, as they damage the anti-oxidants within the surface of the rubber! Just water with the slightest amount of soap.

One other quick note. I sold my DeLorean a few years back and it was 23 years old at the time. The leather in it was in nearly perfect condition. It had no cracks or stiffness anywhere.

Now, there may be some real chemicals / conditioners that really do work, however, I have not seen anything. I do intend on keeping my GT for the "long haul." How about you guys?

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Look at ingredients and use a conditioner cleaner with no alcohol.

As to the need for a different conditioner for the GT I do not think it is required or necessary.

Dave

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Dirt is the most harmful thing for your leather. Keep it clean, and you will not have to do much. If you need to condition it, Leatherique is one of the best.
I also hear you should not do anything with dash leather. It is usually treated and needs to stay dry to avoid cracking. I know that was the case for my P-Car.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've used Lexol for years without bad effects. Haven't tried in the GT yet, but summer is coming.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
fjpikul said:
I've used Lexol for years without bad effects. Haven't tried in the GT yet, but summer is coming.

I just used lexol on my car! The leather seemed to like it.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I rub the leather with a damp cloth - that's it. I'm not great with interior cleaning though - most of my efforts go on the engine and paintwork, by which time I get bored. How does Michael (Magwheels) manage?! I've only got 5 cars!

Jay, do you have many pictures of your DeLorean? I've only ever seen it from the outside - I'd love to see a few 'owner' pictures, the engine, instrument panel, that sort of thing. Also some insights of what it was like to drive.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Lexol ruined the Nappa leather in my benz. I got a lot of cracking and hardening from using it. It works good with cheap leather, but for higher end leather, I do not recommend it. I think it even says not to use it on Nappa leather on the bottle. The leather in the GT is very similar to Nappa, so I would be careful. You should not condition your leather more than 2X a year.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
More leather care

That is why I mentioned originally that the leather in the GT appears to be a semi-aniline. Semi-aniline leather does not have a lot of surface pigment and is therefore more susceptible to abrasion and shrinkage/moisture loss. Professional baseball gloves by comparison are aniline or not pigmented. A Navigator's leather is very heavily pigmented or actually surface painted, usually BASF, to make sure it survives the warranty period and longer. This leather requires only cleaning as necessary and is bullet-proof. The RR leather mentioned in another post was Connolly Autolux. Very soft (called hand) compared to what is in a Lincoln Navigator.In places like Florida RR had huge warranty claims.

On Connolly Autolux and Connolly Vaumol I always used Connolly Hide Food with good long term results.

I am not sure about using it on the GT leather, though. I am very concerned about long term shrinkage!

Who is the leather manufacturer and contact info?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Help!