Leather Care Question.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
OK guys, what product do you use on your leather and how often do you use it? Do you treat the seats any different than the dash or door panels? Thanks.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I'm using Eagle 1 leather care on my GT and Shelby but not sure it is good enough. You really need something with a leather conditioner in it and I don't think the Eagle 1 has a conditioner

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
Maguires Leather Foam. Works good and its cheaper.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
I have used Zymol and Leatherique for some time on my cars-every 4-6 months. I prefer Zymol's Treat only because of the ease of application and smell.
An important consideration as to frequency is how you get in the car. If you put one leg in, twist, turn as you slide into the seat before you pull your left leg in, you will rub the left side bolster on the driver's side. This will wear that part of the seat to a greater extent and require a more frequent application of leather conditioner. If, however, you sit down with legs ouside the door and swing both legs in at the same time, this will require less frequent use of whatever conditioner you use-and be better for your back!:thumbsup

DBP

Jan 28, 2007
Central Florida
Leather Care

Over the last 25 years have used any number of products, Connally Hide Food in particular with fairly good results, but a couple of years ago discovered "Leatherique." It came with a lot of hype but has really lived up to it. It comes in two bottles. The "pristine clean" can reallly bring dead leather back to life. The "rejuvenator oil" would be the only one necessary for hides as fresh as the typical Ford GT. Very easy to apply and requires no buffing or rubbing after application. Can be ordered directly from Leatherique.Com. Have recommended it to a number of friends and they all use it exclusively now.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
I have a background in selling and installing high end leather aircraft interiors - I tend to favor a soft, damp terrycloth towel. We see a lot of people putting all kinds of stuff on seat leather with detrimental results. Car seat leather, like that in the GT, requires no conditioner or "stuff" to keep it nice. Essentially, it's a myth that products like conditioners will help your seats, extend the life, or make them supple. More likely, you'll coat them with something that will make them slick, build up or discolor them.

If they were natural leather, I might suggest otherwise. The leather in your car has a topcoat that is, basically, paint. Unlike the exterior, waxing it doesn't make it more attractive imho.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Chris,
You do not need to condition the leather much. The #1 enemy to leather is dirt. Using a damp rag, just clean and scrub the leather. Keeping dirt out of the wrinkles in the leather is what keeps it looking good. Conditioner should not be used more than 3 times a year, unless you live in a very dry climate.

As far as the dash or doors, that leather should be specially treated already and should NEVER be conditioned. Conditioner hydrates leather, and dash leather is usually specially dried so it can withstand the sun. Hydrating it will screw up the PH balance, and will eventually cause shrinkage :wink .

Leatherique is one of the best conditioners, but also one of the most expensive. It really shouldn't matter if you have multiple cars (or planes :biggrin ), and a little goes a long way.

I hear that the makers of Zaino car polish has a leather conditioner also that really smells good. I think I will pick up a bottle and report back.

Stay away from Lexol. It will destroy your leather. It's good for crappy leather, but not a soft leather. It even says so on the bottle.:lol

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I'm always nervous about putting anything on my seat leather, for many of the reasons I've heard mentioned already. It's a double-edged sword -- do you mess with how the leather was set up at the factory and risk screwing it up, or do you leave it alone and hope it just lasts a long time without any assistance?

Twenty years ago (when I young and stupid) I put Armor-All on my 1970 Plymouth GTX's vinyl seats. I noticed that it looked better immediately afterward...and then it seemed to look dryer and cloudier. No big deal, just put more on, right? Yeah, and after a few days or weeks it needs more again.

Kept going with that nasty cycle and eventually the vinyl dried out and cracked like a Lays potato chip (side note: this was when I lived in Denver, a notoriously dry climate). I subsequently had people telling me, "Oh, don't ever put those treatments on your vinyl or leather. It just dries them out." Thanks for the newsflash.

I haven't put anything on any of my cars' interiors since. I would love to treat the GT's interior to effective leather care (price be damned) if I could confidently do it. The Leatherique you guys are talking about sounds good. I also got a bottle of leather conditioner with my complete car cleaning kit from Zaino (the paint polishes have already proven themselves!!), but I have yet to put it on my seats or dash.

What can I say, old scars heal slowly... :frown

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Chris, did you try the seatcovers yet?

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Very informative thread. Thanks everybody.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I sent Sparco several e-mails a year ago asking for info on treatment, but never got any response.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I tend to put nothing on leather - particularly black leather which stays looking better for longer. As mentioned previously, you can do more harm than good by fiddling with it.

Dirt is the only thing that needs taking care of - and a good leather cleaner from a Jaguar, Aston or Bentley dealer will do the trick. Leather cleaning fluid is 'watery' (not a cream) and a damp (damp with the cleaner) clean cloth rubbed gently all over the area should bring it up.

Leather food? Nope.

For our candy coloured friend with a light interior, he needs to be careful. I have pretty much the same leather in my Bentley - it'll pick up dirt. My advice would be wait until it starts looking grubby and then carefully clean with a leather cleaner - I wouldn't put creams and lotions on it.....

M

Mark O

When I bought my first lether car 23 years ago, I used a product called Lexol. How's that stack up against today's stuff?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
When I bought my first lether car 23 years ago, I used a product called Lexol. How's that stack up against today's stuff?

It will help soften crappy leather, like the leather in a Chevy Suburban, but destroy soft leather like in a Benz or the GT.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chris, did you try the seatcovers yet?

Yeah I have the Ford seat covers on one of my GTs. Works well but still wondering about caring for the other leather surfaces in the car.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks for all the input guys. Lots of useful experience. :thumbsup

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Leather Products

I personally feel that cleaning leather of dirt,dust and grime is most important. I personally found Zaino leather product to be great only if used sparingly as a little goes a long way. I use it on my connally(English) leather in my AC Mark IV Cobra and my GT and love it as well as all their products ( I love their wet look on painted surfaces). Admirers always ask about the wet look shine. Thats my 2 cents. :thumbsup Tomy Hamon

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Leather care

I agree with Snaproll. I have been in the automotive leather business for nearly 30 years supplying the auto industry here in the USA and in Europe. Back in the 70's Connolly's supplied either their Vaumol or Autolux brand for companies like Jaguar, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. We suggested at that time that manufacturers use Connolly's Hide Food. Those days and leather manufacturing processes are long gone as is Connolly. Today's modern automotive leather needs virtually only the occasional cleaning. Cars like Toyota and Lexus use highly pigmented or vat dyed and surface painted leather-usually BASF dye or paint. One of the tanneries, Garden State Tanning, always suggested just liquid Woolite and water-sparingly! Many other "treatments" can actually damage the leather finish and do nothing to preserve. The Ford GT uses a vat dyed and lightly pigmented leather. The less surface paint the softer the leather appears (aka semi-aniline). For my GT I am sticking to occasionally cleaning all of the leather surfaces with liquid Woolite and water.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I wash my sweater in Woolite and then use it to clean the leather, is that like the same thing?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol