Latest Magazines

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
From the June R&T issue:

"The old GT's V-8 and six-speed manual are gone, replaced by a twin-turbo V-6 and a seven-speed duel-clutch automatic. Yes, we want an eight - more important - a clutch pedal, and we're not going to stop harping about either. But the 3.5-liter EcoBoost is no small consolation: It's rooted in the same Daytona Prototype engine that won the Rolex 24 in January. Output will top 600 hp."

Agree on the clutch pedal.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Guess I have to admit I may be getting old and along with preferring slip-on shoes over tied shoes now, I actually like the idea that it is an automatic. Had the 2006 GT been offered in an automatic, that's what I would have ordered, especially if it had a paddle shifter like the 2017 GT. I owned a Mitsubishi 3000GT automatic and really enjoyed not having to mess with a clutch and shifting all the time. I'm not a track guy and enjoy a casual drive around town or in the country, so a manual tranny is definitely not required nor is heel/toe shifting.

PS. I also would have liked the 2006 GT to have cruise control.

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Here's a couple of articles about the superiority of automatics on the track, for cruising, and for fuel efficiency. Looking at Corvette-buyer preferences overall, historically the breakdown has been 70 percent auto, 30 percent manual (on models offering a choice between the two). Automatics are great.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-chevrolet-corvette-eight-speed-automatic-first-drive-review

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...g/0820-8speed/0820-corvette-8-speed-lead.html

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
3 pedal cars are also great!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Monica and I are so excited about the new Ford GT, especially since Ford chose the DCT. :banana:banana Something the magazines seem to miss - and is so incredibly important, is how wonderful DCT transmissions are for enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, I understand old school, and have loved having the many manual cars we have had the privilege to own. After diving several DCT cars and now owning one for some time, I can tell you I would not buy the new FGT as a manual. Ford nailed this on the head. I predict given the chance to own, or even drive the new GT with DCT, there will be next to no one that will miss having a manual tranny, :biggrin or even a V8. :wink
Don't be fooled into thinking this is an automatic like the Corvette. The Corvette auto is not a DCT, and it works well as an auto, but does not function well as a manual. With a DCT, you get the best of both worlds. As an automatic, as a DCT it will shift as smooth as any Honda Accord, but a moment later it will shift as hard and as fast as any shift kit auto muscle car you have driven. The great thing is you get to choose at a moment’s notice what personality you want from this automatic. At the same moment you can use it as a manual, and it will always have your back. I have seen many zinged engines from missed shifts in manuals, something that will never happen in your new half million plus new FGT... You will be able to go on track in auto, and yet drive as an manual. If you get overwhelmed, as I am certain many of us will, it will seamlessly step in and then slide back inconspicuously once you come back on line.
(I spent a bunch of time practicing shifts in our GT before each time I ran down the mile at 220 plus because I never wanted to take the chance of missing a gate, up or down while shifting). With the new FGT, you can track in auto but use it as a manual and it will only intervene if you completely screw up.
The DCT is also fully manual with just a flick of a switch, and it will still have your back. It will shift smooth as silk, you can have it bang through the shifts as hard as any manual you have ever experienced, up and down the gears, (you can not do this in the new Z06). You can do it in traffic, or at the track, again you get to choose which personality you want at that moment. You will have complete control of shifting. True, you will not have heel and toe, but most manuals now come with auto blip, and I can tell you that even in the Corvette schools, few choose to heel and toe, even given the choice.
This car is the future in so many ways. Ford has put all of the right things into this design. You know Ford has it right when a focus on functional design ends up more aesthetically beautiful than if they had tried to make it that way. Ford got it right, just like they did in the original GT40, then the 05, 06. :usa Lightning is striking for the third time.:eek
I only hope we get the chance to own one...:thumbsup

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Ford nailed this on the head. I predict given the chance to own, or even drive the new GT with DCT, there will be next to no one that will miss having a manual tranny, :biggrin or even a V8. :wink ...

This car is the future in so many ways. Ford has put all of the right things into this design. You know Ford has it right when a focus on functional design ends up more aesthetically beautiful than if they had tried to make it that way. Ford got it right, just like they did in the original GT40, then the 05, 06. :usa Lightning is striking for the third time.:eek
I only hope we get the chance to own one...:thumbsup

:agree:

For a car that will race competitively at Le Mans, the car has to have all the finest and fastest innovations incorporated into the design. Ford is attempting to come back to the Circuit de La Sarthe after 50 years - and to do this, they have to have the latest technologies to be competitive. Who would buy the public homologation car if it did not represent the car being raced? It is a Ford GT - updated for 2016/2017 racing!!!

You got it right, Terry! :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Absolutely. There is no rational discussion that can be made to dispute that DCT is the current, and the future, of any all out performance vehicle.

With that comes my irrational thought, I hope manuals don't die. I enjoy them too much. If they eventually do, I will luckily still have a boring old GT to drive as well as a few mustangs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
d84a2a8fa8f0b5a9c290ee5b058d2418.jpg

89a34e674341cdec1b58e11e303ce800.jpg

620ff04824108fb9e9072de116a28834.jpg

c42eee5ff321434ede21f377eb37c4c8.jpg

f8886394cdb1e6e07d2df2716aa4cf37.jpg

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I absolutely NEED that model!!!!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I'd love to have that model as well (because it's about as close as I'm going to get to buying a new GT :-{ ).

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Anyone have any idea of what would be required in parts and cost of replacing the 2006 GT tranny with a DCT?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Model should be out pretty soon.

Company is http://www.tsm-models.com

TSM-MODELS ANNOUNCES COOPERATION WITH FORD

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(June 16, 2015) TSM-Model is excited to announce its new partnership with Ford Motor Company to produce various scale models of the new ford GT and the Ford GT Le Mans race car. We are honored to have this opportunity to partner with Ford and produce models of such an iconic car in racing history. We are confident that we will be able to deliver models that reflect the beautiful styling and intricate attention to detail this car is known for.

The all new Ford GT debuted at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show and boasts an all new carbon fiber and aluminum construction with a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine producing 600bhp. With this newly designed Ford GT, Ford aims to have a vehicle capable of competing with high end exotics in both performance and its stunning new looks. This is however not Fords only ground breaking news with the recent announcement that they will be returning to the 24hours of Le Mans race in 2016 on what is the 50th anniversary of their 1966 podium sweep in the GT-40. This announcement was accompanied by release of the new Ford GT race car that will be competing in the Le Mans race. We are very excited to see Fords return to the Le Mans Race and look forward to producing some stunning models of this iconic car.

Signature on the one in the pic is Chris Svensson, Design Director, The Americas.

ford_gt_christopher_svensson_2-100582977-orig.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Who cares. I want One signed by Bill Ford & Mark Fields.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Who cares. I want One signed by Bill Ford & Mark Fields.

I feel bad telling you that Chris said he checks the 2016 section every day, so now your allocation is history. :biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Well, i fully enjoyed the prospect of ownership of my new GT while it lasted. So I guess that means Specracer has moved up a notch. ;-)

But in deference to your point, while the design team did an incredible job with the GT, it has little meaning without a viable business plan and funding. The other two names mentioned are the difference between achieving production and yet another great design and didn't see production. Cars like this are as rare as the proverbial blue moon; and now I've lived long enough to see two of them.

Thanks Bill & Mark!

Last edited:

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
TSM produces some very nice models. Hope they do the GT in 1/12th scale.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Wow, that's some pretty nice BACK PEDDELING there Rex!

(Maybe you will not fall completely OFF the list; just down a bit......):wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hot Rod:

f0295549508c83badbdc90c82692b54b.jpg

a2a6fc175e19beccd0fa5b16f52251e9.jpg

b9ee974140cbadc6ae479afd1cb3c4f1.jpg

2291bc9b215b20b378e33c9f7cdc40e9.jpg