Last minute summary of details

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Trying to keep all of the threads and information intact in my small brain, I have attempted to summarize some details here mainly related to our track events.

Tuesday, October 13
7 p.m.: Dinner at Truluck's (planned by Chip) within walking distance of 4 Season's Hotel, Austin. Cash only. Bill split among all participants. Dave Bannister and Mark McGowan will be attending.

Wednesday, October 14
7 a.m. (or earlier) depart for Texas World Speedway event at College Station. According to MapQuest, approximately 115.73 miles and 2 hours 11 minutes (we'll be faster I am sure).
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Aus...6:-96.985765:0:::::1:1:1::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

The following requirements must be met to get your car on the track at TWS on Wednesday:
Helmet: SA2000/ M2000 or newer
Long pants.
Closed toe shoe.
TWS will have about a dozen rental helmets available for use, so recommend you bring a head sock if you're going to share.

Utilizing the 2.9 mile configuration. More about TWS including a GT-R video link for watching a real car going around the track with this 2.9 mile configuration.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16549

9 a.m. Driver's meeting.
10 a.m. On the track until 5 p.m. (according to website): http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/about-tws/news/29-tws-to-host-stop-in-ford-gt-rally.html.
Lunch at TWS. Return to Four Season's when ready.

Thursday, Oct 15
Leave for Goliad Industrial Airpark for the Texas Mile.
According to Google maps, approximately 137 miles, 3 hours 32 minutes using 123-South (cannot imagine it will take that long but I suspect over 2 hours).
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ult&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CA0QngIwAA
Unfortunately the link just gives you the placement of the Goliad Industrial Airpark but if you want to re-check my calculations it is there.

The following requirements must be met to get your car on the track at the Texas Mile on Thursday:
Helmet: SA2000/ M2000
Clothes covering all arms, legs, torso, etc
Closed toe shoes
2lb fire extinguisher (we will have a small supply to switch in and out)
SFI driving gloves (Dave is bringing 5 pairs to share if you do not have them--only thing that I don't have)
SFI 3.2 driving suit for cars over 190 MPH (we'll have one each of Medium, Large, and XL)

There is no requirement for a cage due to the strength of the Ford GT chassis.

Cars that are going to run OVER 190 mph in the mile are required to run 5 or 6 point harness system. YOU control how fast you cross the line at the Mile. Stock or near stock cars will not reach this speed. Basic mod cars will generally not either without a significant tailwind. Big power Turbo cars and Whipples can reach these speeds, and if you intend on going this fast,these can be purchased via Safecraft.

link for requirements: http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/automobile_rules.pdf

From Texas Mile website, our private event looks like it will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. http://www.texasmile.net/eventschedule.php

Lunch at the Airpark. Return to Austin when ready.

Please let me know if any of this is incorrect or there is something I left out.:thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Please let me know if any of this is incorrect or there is something I left out.:thumbsup

Yeah, you left out everything on Friday. Thanks for this summary. Again, if anybody has indicated to me that you are coming to Truluck's on Tuesday night and you will NOT be attending after all, please let me know ASAP via a PM as I had to personally guarantee a minimum attendance. Thanks.

Chip

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
That was intentional. As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, this was mainly related to our "track events"...but did include your planned dinner Tuesday night. I figured there was little confusion about Friday but many more details related to TWS and the Texas mile.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
For the track day at TWS ,I would like to have the drivers meeting at 8:30 not 9.There is a lot to go over .IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AND MISS THE NOVICE MEETING YOU DO NOT GET TO DRIVE !! I would recommend to get there for 7:30 -8:00.Yes its going to be an early morning rise !!!
You will need to empty your car ,check tire pressures and turn in your tech sheet ,
Lets hope for good weather !

Just for the record DRUGS AND ALCOHOL ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
there wouldn't be a later meeting incase people are running a little late? ouch.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
For the track day at TWS ,I would like to have the drivers meeting at 8:30 not 9.There is a lot to go over .IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AND MISS THE NOVICE MEETING YOU DO NOT GET TO DRIVE !! I would recommend to get there for 7:30 -8:00.Yes its going to be an early morning rise !!!
You will need to empty your car ,check tire pressures and turn in your tech sheet ,

This was one of the reasons I opened this thread. At this point, I don't think we can depend upon everyone being personally contacted before the TWS event. Not everyone will be at the dinner at Truluck's. So, here are my questions.
1) I notice 3 categories on my registration sheet. Novice, somewhat experienced (some track instruction), and experienced. I assume these will be the run groups?
2) You mention a tech sheet. Every DE event that I have attended has had this...but I have not seen one for this event. Am I missing something? My local Ford dealership did the usual "tech" inspection with brake fluid flush and they even asked me for this...but I told them we did not need it. So, I have a list of those things that they checked over. On one thread regarding the tech sheet DBK said this.
"Frank - tech is up to the driver of the car. Signing off on the waiver indicates you've taken responsibility to make sure the car is ready to go. There is a large amount of covered areas at the track because it is the infield of what was a NASCAR/IRL track. Lunch will be served at the track and we'll have plenty of water. Clothing is long pants and closed toe shoes. Gas is available at the track, and there are plenty of gas stations nearby." So this is what I have assumed. The full thread can be found here:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16549
3) Is there just a driver's meeting or will there be novice, intermediate, and experienced meetings?
It is a little late to be making significant changes but I just want to make sure ALL know the details...because it appears that I do not.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Too many people are already in route - and will not have the opportunity to see a schedule change at this late date. Leave the meeting as scheduled at 9 am so everyone can be there. There will be plenty of track time for everyone even if the meeting takes an extended time.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Briefing start time.

For the track day at TWS ,I would like to have the drivers meeting at 8:30 not 9.There is a lot to go over .IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AND MISS THE NOVICE MEETING YOU DO NOT GET TO DRIVE!

Roketman,

There are Forum Members trailering from all over the country and many, like me, do not own a laptop computer and will not access this forum again until they return to their homes after our event. Some members are traveling to Austin on Tuesday, some are traveling to College Station on Tuesday, and some will not arrive in College Station from some other point until shortly before the briefing on Wednesday morning. We have all spent thousands of dollars to attend in addition to countless hours of preparation. There is absolutely no way that a Forum member could show up at nine o'clock and be told that they missed a drivers meeting that had been moved to an earlier hour and that they were now ineligible to drive.

At this late stage in the game, moving the drivers meeting to an earlier time is not an option. If it cuts our driving time short, then so be it. If an earlier time was required, that information needed to be disseminated long before this date. Because it is now impossible to communicate such a change to all members who would be affected, the drivers briefing must remain at 9:00am.

I'll see you in Texas. :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nirvana, DBK posted a tech sheet. You have to download it. I printed off extra copies which are in my car (same trailer as yours), so I have you covered. You just sign it yourself, not your shop.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The schedule.
The Novice meeting is at 9am .The general drivers meeting is at 8:30
Advanced drivers go on the track at 9am.
Hope this works for everyone.
Thank you ,Ron

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
so we HAVE to be there at 8:30?

confusion.

Chip?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Nirvana, DBK posted a tech sheet. You have to download it. I printed off extra copies which are in my car (same trailer as yours), so I have you covered. You just sign it yourself, not your shop.

I saw that but could not find the attachment. Thanks Frank. Look forward to meeting you.
Scott

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
The schedule.
The Novice meeting is at 9am .The general drivers meeting is at 8:30
Advanced drivers go on the track at 9am.
Hope this works for everyone.
Thank you ,Ron

Ron,
I have a feeling this will cause problems. All were expecting to be on the track by 10 am with a driver's meeting at 9 am. Hopefully all this information will make it to everyone. But I for one agree with Chip...at this point, considering some are coming directly to the track that morning I would leave the times alone. I guess we will talk more when most of us get there Tuesday evening.
Scott

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Rocketman:

Here is the posted schedule. Let's put this topic to rest.

"Wednesday October 14th

at Texas World Speedway. Driver's Meeting will be at 9 A.M and cars will be on track by 10 A.M so please make arrangements for an early drive to the track from wherever you will be Tuesday night. Lunch will be served on site at TWS.
"

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
For those who can not make the 8:30 general drivers meeting or the novice meeting at 9AM ,Thats O.K.
We will accommodate all who signed up .If 10 am works for you so be it .We want everyone to have a good time .
For those who can make the earlier time.You will get extra Track time !! The 1st 2 run groups are ,advanced than intermediate .
Hope this works for everyone !!!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I thought the harness was recommended but not required for Texas Mile participants?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I thought the harness was recommended but not required for Texas Mile participants?

sounds like you missed the discussion a week or so back. do a little search

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
doh

I just noticed. The last 10 days have been a blur (too many birthdays) and I havent been online much. I guess no need to go buy a helmet and gloves now.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
so we HAVE to be there at 8:30?

confusion.

Chip?

No, nobody needs to be at the track before 9am. If you want to get there at 7am that's OK but you won't see many of us until the posted 9am briefing time.

I've been on the road all day and am in Fort Stockton right now answering this from my iPhone. Unless DBK informs me differently, 9:00am is the start time for this event. The start times have been posted for months and all members who show up at 9:00 will be accomodated. I'll be arriving at 9:00 so you can brief with me.

Chip

Last edited: