Lap at Nurburging ZL1 vs. Z28

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Lap at Nurburgring ZL1 vs. Z28

Great video, give you an excellent perspective on the track including it's size and variation in surfaces. Love the Z28 NA vs. the ZL1. Enjoy the lap - Ron!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/201...8-round-one,-fight!&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Note: Main screen is the Z28 the inset on lower right is the ZL1.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
fun lap, driver knows the line. Z28's time hurt a bit with the rain at galgenkopf. car was set up well.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
God, I love that track !! (in '62, there was no Armco - if you go off, you're in the woods - hopefully still alive).

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
SVTPerformanceForum is showing aGT500 doing sub 7:40 laps, supposedly from Ford:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-shelby-gt500-mustang-takes-nuerburgring.html

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I wonder what the C7 achieved on the ring.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Love the Z28 NA vs. the ZL1.

The vid does bear out the ole adage that less weight = more h.p., doesn't it. ('Sure wish there had been zero rain during the Z28's run. :frown)

Great find, sir - thanks! :thumbsup

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I bet a 302-S which is lighter and stiffer would be faster.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Does the Ford GT have an established 'ring time?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Does the Ford GT have an established 'ring time?

Unofficially it's just under 8 min, not a fantastic time, but you never know the circumstances or driver.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Some magazine at one point claimed a 7:42, but the Ring as a manufacturer measure is largely b.s. I give Porsche leeway with their time quoting because it's their home turf. Most of the other people going nuts promoting or claiming manufacturer times are full of it. The original GT-R started the worst of it when nobody could come close to replicating Nissan's claimed time. It's a huge track with an insane amount of variables. The Z28 lap time? Several weeks before they ran their hero lap I got a text from a source over their chuckling that they had tried twice to set a lap and had failed to beat the ZL1's 7:42, and now they were screwed having to get a better lap potentially in rainy weather after failing in September. If that was anything but 100% truth, that was one hell of a guess, because lo and behold they ended up running a better lap in the cold October rain.

Look at the huge fiasco McLaren is going through right now with the P1. Ron Dennis ran his mouth about how the car would break all records, be the Ringmaster, blah blah blah, then they went there and just said "we set an awesome time, it's under 7 minutes, but we can't tell you what it is because it inspires people to be dangerous." I don't think it's possible that the 918 is faster around a circuit than the P1, but who knows what happened on different days under different conditions, when the manufacturers are doing who knows what to their cars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The car makers should have a 10 lap race around the ring with stock cars from the showroom floor. Zero mods, with 91 pump gas. Same day same conditions. I bet some would DNF.

Never going to happen.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
The car makers should have a 10 lap race around the ring with stock cars from the showroom floor. Zero mods, with 91 pump gas. Same day same conditions. I bet some would DNF.

Never going to happen.

Maybe we can all pitch in and have the next rally there?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/nurburgring-for-sale-yours-for-only-165-million/

:biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The FGT's 'Ring time was "established" on Goodyear Eagle F1s and without any electronic traction/stability management whatsoever. To the extent 'Ring lap times have any comparative value, lap time junkies must consider the FGTs time in light of these factors. The FGT's time stacks up nicely when judged against cars that don't have any bail out features. In any event, a simple tire swap drops the GT's time on any track.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The FGT's 'Ring time was "established" on Goodyear Eagle F1s and without any electronic traction/stability management whatsoever. To the extent 'Ring lap times have any comparative value, lap time junkies must consider the FGTs time in light of these factors. The FGT's time stacks up nicely when judged against cars that don't have any bail out features. In any event, a simple tire swap drops the GT's time on any track.

Interesting point. Thanks for the reminder.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The times should be pretty good with a pulley and tune and some Hoosiers.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

AND, the right driver!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

and improved suspension

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010

Never going to happen.

Forget the Ring, I would love to see stock cars trying make it 10 laps around Laguna Seca in the summer. Smoking brakes, soaring oil temps and paddle shifting transmission check lights would abound. You'll never see that tested or printed in Motor Trend magazine.

Cheers,
George

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Forget the Ring, I would love to see stock cars trying make it 10 laps around Laguna Seca in the summer. Smoking brakes, soaring oil temps and paddle shifting transmission check lights would abound. You'll never see that tested or printed in Motor Trend magazine.

Cheers,
George
Many couldn't pass the ridiculous sound limits. I would like to see some electric cars try doing laps on any track for 70 miles. I would bet a lot of econo boxes would beat the high end electrics. :lol

Tomcat

GT Owner

Cheers,
George
One of the car magazines is using VIR as a standard for "lightning laps".