Laguna Seca

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Here is your chance to take your GT on Laguna Seca February 5-6, 2007

Nor Cal SAAC and Green Flag Driving Association jointly present the Winter Surprise 2007 Open Track event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. We are fortunate to have this opportunity for a 2-day event. Nor Cal SAAC and Green Flag have pooled their resources to ensure sufficient entries to cover the high cost of renting this world-famous facility. Due to more track renovations, this may be our only chance in 2007.

This is a Monday/Tuesday, so start working on your vacation calendar and make plans to attend. Our Dec 23rd Laguna date was very well attended and the weather was near perfect.

Details and entry info:

http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/0702ls.htm

http://www.greenflagdriving.com/

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the Heffner exhaust pipes and was told that even a stock GT would not make the sound limit of 90db. Anyone have any real life experience?

BlackICE

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
There is really only one spot that they take a noise reading. One of my Viper was way past the approved noise level. The trick was to upshift to 3 or 4th before you pass the sound station and then down shift after you have passed it. I think it's just past turn 6 on the incline to turn 7. It worked for me every time. You may have someone pass you at that point depending on which cless you run in. Most are not allowed to pass on that stretch of the track though.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
There is really only one spot that they take a noise reading. One of my Viper was way past the approved noise level. The trick was to upshift to 3 or 4th before you pass the sound station and then down shift after you have passed it. I think it's just past turn 6 on the incline to turn 7. It worked for me every time. You may have someone pass you at that point depending on which cless you run in. Most are not allowed to pass on that stretch of the track though.
Thanks, too bad it is at turn 6. The last time I was on the track many years ago that was my favorite turn to pass on. You get great grip going uphill on the banking.

Do you know the location of the sound meter? Inside or outside of the turn?

BlackICE

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Thanks, too bad it is at turn 6. The last time I was on the track many years ago that was my favorite turn to pass on. You get great grip going uphill on the banking.

Do you know the location of the sound meter? Inside or outside of the turn?

BlackICE

Outside, there is a rumor that there is a second meter somewhere they won't tell ya.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I have the Heffner exhaust pipes and was told that even a stock GT would not make the sound limit of 90db. Anyone have any real life experience?

BlackICE

I have the Accufab exhaust and was at the Mini Nats at Sears Point in Sep. They had a sound limit of 103. I made 101. At an autocross in San Diego it was measured at 104, with a limit of 87. Needless to say I was not allowed to run. They have run stock GT's at the autocross and they apparently passed.

Craig

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I raced(SCCA) all last season at Laguna but I was racing an Evo and the turbo keeps the thing relatively quiet. We were putting out about 101dB's.

There is one sound meter between turns 5 and 6. It is on the passenger side. This has been the location of the sound meter for many, many years. The Park Department is real tough on sound. You'll basically get one warning and after that you'll be banned from the track. They take sound VERY SERIOUSLY.

I haven't a guess what a stock GT will run sound wise. VIper guys are almost always claim they "lift" going up the hill to avoid exceeding sound(and race weekends they're allowed 103dB's).

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
kjslider is correct... it's between 5 and 6 on the right side. I think the 2nd one that has been talked about is fiction. I was black flagged a few times in different Viper. I was told by the other racers to upshift right before the meter and then a bit past to downshift again. It always worked for me and I would be way past the 93db with the exhaust and headers on the Viper.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Noise Meter

I went over the noise limit at the SCCA Fall Vintage event.

It was from the induction side rather than the exhuast on my 510. 102 dba. Exhaust was "only" 97 dba. Spent a bunch of pit time putting in sound matting. Tough place to lift in an under 2 litre - hate to lose that momentum going up the hill.

The day was hot and humidity was very low. The meter is manned by the Parks Department. You're out for the day if you get two black flags.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Laguna sound

I have driven at Laguna many times & a stock Viper will not pass sound (92 db for most open track events, higher for certain race events) at full throttle. Supposedly, if you lift & pass sound; but, are loud where they are not sound testing, you can get black flagged & sent home.

I feel a stock GT may pass 92 db depending on atmospheric conditions. I have had my previous car pass one weekend & then not pass on another weekend. I currently have an Ida exhaust with Super Trapp slip ons(the Super Trapps are only for use at Laguna). I can change the number of discs in the Super Trapps to get it as quiet as I need to. It works.

Ed

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I currently have an Ida exhaust with Super Trapp slip ons(the Super Trapps are only for use at Laguna). I can change the number of discs in the Super Trapps to get it as quiet as I need to. It works.

Ed

Good Idea ED. Have you tested it? Will it pass the 92 db limit? I may haveta get me some of them supertraps. It may cut down on some of the flames as well!:thumbsup

Craig

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Open Track @ Buttonwillow

The same weekend as Laguna Seca green flag event. It is put on by Viper Days, and they do a great job, including a nice dinner Sat night. Instructors are on hand to help you learn how to drive the track, or your car if this is your first track event. It is a very safe way to get into open tracking the car. You will also be rewarded by passing many Vipers, always gratifying.:banana:banana:banana
http://www.viperdays.com

Craig

I just checked the site and it seems to be temporarily down right now.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Super Trapp slip ons for GT

Craig - http://supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=27
It's part # 544-3003. I haven't tried it on the GT yet, but it worked well on my previous car.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Super Trapp "slip ons" - not

Ok, I tried my Super Trapp slip ons & they are weld ons! I going to have my fabricating friend change the flange to be a slip on like I had on my previous car. They will still work.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Supertrapp slip ons

Here are photos of a way to quiet the GT. If you have the designer tail pipes you are out of luck.

Ed

Attachments

• DSC06299.JPG
    DSC06299.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC06300.JPG
    DSC06300.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC06302.JPG
    DSC06302.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 179

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ed, thanks for the pics. Too bad I got the designer tips from Heffner. They are tapered so it would be more difficult to get a sleeve to clamp to them.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Ed, Again thanks for tho photos and explanation. Very helpful. I wonder if it would work on the FRPP "blast off" exhaust.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
A little trivia. The inventor of the super trapp is Paul Moller. He is working on a flying car. If he ever gets it going it will go 320 mph and is VTOL. Check out www.moller.com I'll buy one about five years after the first one ships. I want to make sure that they don't have a "halfshaft" problem at 15,000 feet.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Ed, thanks for the pics. Too bad I got the designer tips from Heffner. They are tapered so it would be more difficult to get a sleeve to clamp to them.

Where can I get those things to fit the borla exhaust. And how much are they?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here You Go

Where can I get those things to fit the borla exhaust. And how much are they?

Kave,

Click this link to download their automtive catalog.

http://www.supertrapp.com/images/pdfs/st-auto-catalog.pdf

The information you need is there.

I used to do both Teflon & Flurosilicone parts for Dr. Moller back in the 70's, an interesting guy.

And yes, he does have a "Flying Saucer" that actually flys. I have seen it in action [although it was on a tether].

Fred