LA drive to Sonoma

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Hi guys,

I understand we dont have an organized group driving up to Rally. I would like to drive up early Tuesday morning and only stop for gas/Pee and Snacks when needed. If anyone is doing the same; please let me know or PM me so we can drive up together...
Thanks,
Arya

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I'll be heading up early on the 3rd Arya. I'm heading out from Riverside.

Vince H

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Subscribed. Maybe this will be the new SoCal to NorCal trip thread. Still unsure how/when I'm getting up there. But would be great to rendezvous with the SoCal'ers somewhere on the Central Coast.

Mike1

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2013
Hermosa Beach, CA
I'm planning to do the same. Leaving from Hermosa Beach.

Mike

Last edited:

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Vince, Ed and Mike. Thank you for replying. I was feeling kinda loanly about the drive. I certainly dont want to be the organizer or get blamed as I am terrible with directions.I will be with my brother as CoPilot coming from Calabasas. I know there are few options and more scenic routes but Google Maps says if we take the 5 North to 580, 680, 780 etc will be only 6.5hrs. So if all agree we can pic a place/Gas station to round up near the 5 say like at newhall or Valencia? We can pick a time so all of can get there and fill up and go...ALSO WE CAN PICK A PLACE IN CENTRAL CA TO MEET UP WITH ED OR ANYONE ELSE FROM TEH AREA.

aNOTHER OPTION IS 101 AND GOING THROUGH THE CITIES. PROBABLY MUCH NICER SCENARY BUT WILL ADD TO THE DRIVE PLUS MUCH MORE TRAFFIC PERHAPS

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I also don't wish to complicate this. We're all heading to the same place so driving together is probably the best bet for everyone. I was hoping to leave early as I need to get through LA via the 215 fwy. It's about 100 miles from my place to Kendall's but I have yet to do this drive during week day traffic. We also need to be prepared that the 5 fwy has significant construction going on once you come into the grape vine. (Or at least it did a few weeks ago)

Vince H

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I agree. Im OK with makin it very early morning this way the guys from South or OC will dodge traffic too. As early as possible for everyone at a big gas station off the 5 near Kendall's??? 6, 7 or 8am? even earlier if the guys from OC can do it.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I beleive there is an easy access 76 Station next to Wendys just off the Lyons Exit from the 5 Northbound. It looks easy enough to find just next to Fwy exit and entrance. Lyons is the next exit after Kendal's when going north on the 5. Any other suggestions feel free to chime in.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
I plan to drive up to Stevenson Ranch/Santa Clarita area off I-5 & Pico Canyon Rd./Lyons Ave. on Monday and stay at the Fairfield Inn there. What time and place do I meet you on Tuesday morning? :confused

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Arya, all -

I would recommend the McDonald's on the West side of the freeway at Lyons as a good meeting place. Food and bathrooms at the McD's and there's every kind of fuel around you. In terms of route, I have some suggestions we can discuss next week that lets you work your way over to the coast and maybe puts a lunch time pitstop around Cambria.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thanks Kendall. I think that McDonnalds is a good idea and I do recall there are severa stations and that InNOut allthough not open early morning. Luch Pitstop at Cambria sounds perfect so lets pic a meeting time to put us in Cambria between 11 and 12. We can fine tune this all next week and be sure we all have eachothers cell numbers...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Arya + All,

To clarify, I regret that I cannot attend the Rally or this drive but it doesn't mean that I will abandon my pledge to help put together a great drive. I have several ideas for routes that I will bounce off Arya and the rest of you. Of course it is not a short drive but it would be a shame to drive straight up the gut (I5) of California in such beautiful cars and in what will likely be beautiful weather. So, the challenge to to inject some more interesting roads and landscape while not severly impacting the already long drive. Again, I have some ideas to do this.... and I will be one jealous GT owner!!

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thank you Kendall. So your status is back up from Party Pooper to PARTY PLANNER!!! :) We shall follow your lead on the way up as long as there are many gas stations as you all can relate to. Ill take the 5 back home Friday as I will be returning early for a family event and will need to get back before dark or Ill be in the doghouse. So, were all ears and please make it dummy proof. At least for me! Will I be back tracking if I meet at the Lyons exit from Calabasas?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Arya
I'm still a tentative on joining the caravan. I have a reservation for the Fairmont on the 2nd as I may go up early to meet up with friends up north before the official start of the festivities. But I also really want to caravan up with other GT's. Oy! The choices one has to make!

Approximately what time would you be hitting Cambria? What other stops along the way do you think you would make? Cambria is a bit of a backtrack for me, so if I can make it, I could hopefully meet you guys a bit further north.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I think the goal will be to get to Cambria by 11:30 or noonish to stop for lunch. As far as other stops for gas and stuff, we can wait for Kendall's guidance as I have never made that drive up. If you decide not to go on the 2nd, then we will make sure to pick you up somwhere on teh way Ed.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Arya,

I'm planning on leaving Riverside between 5:00 - 5:30 am. That would get me to Kendall's neck of the woods around 7:00 - 7:30 am, traffic permitting. Once everyone has settled on an exit to meet please let me know and I will stop there. I will be driving alone for the drive up. (Which is probably a good thing since the passanger seat will have a duffle bag full of our effects.) My wife is planning on flying up Wednesday afternoon to join in the fun.
Vince H

Last edited:
I am driving up to Sonoma on Monday, the 2nd from the North side of Santa Barbara (Solvang) on the 101. If anyone is planning to go up the 101 on the 2nd, I would like to join them. John Scanlon

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Flying Low

Gentlemen,

I would love to be joining you on this drive but I have one event ending on the 2nd and I've got to be in College Station Texas by 6pm on the 7th so I'm shipping #34 and I'll be hauling ass in #335CB to get there late on the 2nd or early on the 3rd. If I see your convoy down on the freeway I'll come down and join you with a 350 MPH low pass. Drive safe and I'll see you there.

Chip

Glasair III 2.jpg

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Wow. Such a king. What a pic Chip. I wanna know who took it and what they were flying that close...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Wow Chip. What a shot. Fearless.

Vince H