Knights seat height mod

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Hi Guys,
I am in SoCal and would like to test sit this mod. Anybody have one I can test sit? Knight tells me that the reduction is 2" and he cannot do 1". If I do this will it bum out everybody who isn't 6'3"? Any other comments?

Craig

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm 6'5. I had my seat lowered, which was a great mod.
Several other folks 6' and less have driven my car as well with no difficulty.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have had mine lowered because I like to sit low for better kinetic feel.Works great for me at 5 feet 6 inches
Steve is the man for any interior mods or resto work

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I have had mine lowered because I like to sit low for better kinetic feel.Works great for me at 5 feet 6 inches
Steve is the man for any interior mods or resto work

Geeez, Ron! Then I guess you need a periscope to see over the dash!? :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, he's sooooo enthusiastic, he bounces up and down while he drives. You should see the dents in his roof. Homemade Gurney bubble.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Would like to see before / after pics of what this looks like when done and any comments on seat 'feel' or comfort in use differences.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It really doesn't look any different.What I do notice is your legs are in a less bent position.I am a believer in the closer you are to the floor boards the better the feel.Hans Stuck a famous Porsche/Audi,BMW driver use to test set up,without a seat cushion.It has been rumored he tested without a seat.He is my driving hero!
Here is some cool ring video of him ! WWABBIT watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzpJtmNNal4

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Don't really need before and after photos IMHO as can't really tell the difference in how it looks.
Feels pretty similar to me - maybe a tad bit firmer, but more or less no change.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I'm in So. Cal. and have this for both my X1's. Send me a pm. if interested in seeing the seats.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm in So. Cal. and have this for both my X1's. Send me a pm. if interested in seeing the seats.

Why do you need them in an X1? :confused

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks for the video, Ron! - :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Why do you need them in an X1? :confused

Don't you remember Tom Selleck driving the Ferrari 308 GTS with his head well above the A-pillar header?

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, I have the seats out. I can see how to remove the sliding rails easily. How do I disconnect the backs from the bottoms?

Thanks

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, I am sending two seats. Here are Steve's instructions:

Leave the tracks on, it helps keep the carbon from getting scratched.

To separate the backrests remove the four torx bolts , they are sealed with lock tight so use the right sized torx socket and good solid pressure. The round backrest ajuster knob can be removed by using a flat screwdriver to pry off the little round cap, then use a punch and hammer and drive the rod out. The retainer ring will be in reusable shape.

That's it, the backrest is free. I wobble it back and forth from the seat cushion while simultaneously pulling up hard. Its tight but will separate. Once it is in two peices you can use the rod and handle to readjust the tall backrest brackets down so the cushions will fit in your boxes.

Package and ship with payment included. No tax will apply. They are $1500 a peice. Let me know if your sending one or two and I'll get an invoice sent out to you right away.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Craig
Are you doing this to gain some room for a helmet or is it just for comfort for street driving? I'm 'only' 6'2 and as it stands, I'm 99% sure I won't fit with a helmet unless I slouch in the seat and maybe cock my head a bit to the side. Not exactly an ideal racing position:) I've known about his mod before I bought the car and may consider it, but at $1500/seat + shipping and insurance.......yeesh.
Let us know how it turns out.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Just want to get correct driving position. Now hair just touches with seat raked back.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am only 6' and with an Arai helmet (the brand I found with the most clearance) I have recline the seat a little more than I would like and my helmet is still touching the headliner. I did find when I lost some weight I gained some headroom. I guess my fata$$ is taking up too much room. :lol

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
I think most modern driving instructors would agree that an upright position is best compared to laid back. Also, arms outstretched (byproduct of seat rake) is another loser. By lowering the seat I can get better up right and arms bent optimally. Cannot drive fast from compromised position, just goes downhill.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
BTW, vision out the front and back is improved. I have slouched down to test this. Seems seat lowering is only clean solution

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think most modern driving instructors would agree that an upright position is best compared to laid back. Also, arms outstretched (byproduct of seat rake) is another loser. By lowering the seat I can get better up right and arms bent optimally. Cannot drive fast from compromised position, just goes downhill.

:agree: