Kindergarten question

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
What information is contained in the VIN number? Build sequence number? Build date? Anything else? Nothing at all?
Sorry to bother you with this but I'm clueless.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It's what we're here for.

Let's see if this works....

Attachments

• ford vin.pdf
    433.5 KB · Views: 171

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
This is wonderfully helpful. Many thanks. Do I read it right -- if the last digits for my car are 401966, does that mean that it was the 1,966th car built? The 1,966th in that year (2005)?

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
DUROC said:
This is wonderfully helpful. Many thanks. Do I read it right -- if the last digits for my car are 401966, does that mean that it was the 1,966th car built? The 1,966th in that year (2005)?

That's correct Dick! It is sequential and in your case it was the 1,966th built in 2005. Dan here from CT, how are you?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Neilda said:
It's what we're here for.

Let's see if this works....

Very cool. Specific to the GT also. Thanks for posting this.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Yes this is excellent. Hey Dave or Joey, perhaps we should have a specific section at the site specifically for posting all these factory notes and bulletins as we accumulate them?

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
bigdan40 said:
That's correct Dick! It is sequential and in your case it was the 1,966th built in 2005. Dan here from CT, how are you?

That is "not" correct. It is the 1,966th car scheduled to be built. The cars are not built in the exact sequential order of vin #. This is not a practice unique to the GT's either. They are usually close but not an exact science. For all practical purposes though it is a good way to know when your car was built.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Glad to have been of help.

N

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
scode said:
That is "not" correct. It is the 1,966th car scheduled to be built. The cars are not built in the exact sequential order of vin #. This is not a practice unique to the GT's either. They are usually close but not an exact science. For all practical purposes though it is a good way to know when your car was built.

Semantics my friend. If productions cars did not have a sequential build number their would be no need for the last six and in some cases (i.e. toyota camry's) the last seven of a vin. These numbers are even more essential when it comes to recalls, ask anyone who has an '05 with a low vin #!!!
Dan

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
Bigdan - sent you a private message about getting together

All - Thanks very much for your informative posts