Keys inside a dead GT

Neverenoughcars

FORD GT OWNER
Nov 2, 2007
Hello, I hope someone here can help me and my dad. My dad just got a 06 Ford GT!! Its an amazing car (as you all know). He doesnt drive it much, but he likes to turn on the radio in the GT when hes in the garage. To sum this all up, the battery died and the door got shut with the keys in the car! Is there anyway that we can charge the battery from the underside of the car, the car is on a lift now, so getting under it is no problem. The doors are unlocked but all the windows are up. If anyone knows how to get into the car or charge the battery please help us out!! Thanks

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
He locked both sets of keys in the car?

Neverenoughcars

FORD GT OWNER
Nov 2, 2007
He just got the car about a month ago and when he got the keys all of them were on one key ring... and yes we never got around to taking the spare off... Stupid on our part!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
this is one for the GT guys....

or could be a robber wanting to know how to get into GT's that are locked
hmmmmmm:secret:

lol

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Piece of cake. Give the ford dealer your vin and proof of ownership. They can cut you a key that will open the door. Problem solved. A regular key that will just open the door will cost you all of $10 or less.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
THANKS Shelby, You beat me to it.

Neverenoughcars, I changed your registration to Owner, please register your car on the registry above. Welcome to the forum. Tell you pop to drive the car, that is what it was meant for :)
Cheers,
Bony

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you take the rearmost belly pan off you can get to the HOT +12v lead to the starter motor. Jumping there and to the engine block or frame should do the trick.

attachment.php

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
if the keys are locked (both sets) - charging the battery won't do anything. Get a valet key cut like Shelby stated. That's the only way to get in....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
if the keys are locked (both sets) - charging the battery won't do anything. Get a valet key cut like Shelby stated. That's the only way to get in....

Opps, you are right, both keys locked inside.

Neverenoughcars

FORD GT OWNER
Nov 2, 2007
Thanks guys, I just went down to Ford and Im getting a spare made tomorrow.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Trickle charge that battery over 2-4 days B4U start the car. Don't give it a "quick charge" or you'll most likely ruin the battery...assuming it's fine right now except for the discharge...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great advise Larry :)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Curiousity here.......He said the car was "unlocked" when it went dead from the radio. Wouldn't charging the battery (jump or charge) from the terminal above the rear belly pan allow you to open the door and get the keys? If the car goes totally dead with the doors "unlocked" but closed do they automatically lock? Seems if you put juice to it the doors would be able to open normally.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Curiousity here.......He said the car was "unlocked" when it went dead from the radio. Wouldn't charging the battery (jump or charge) from the terminal above the rear belly pan allow you to open the door and get the keys? If the car goes totally dead with the doors "unlocked" but closed do they automatically lock? Seems if you put juice to it the doors would be able to open normally.

Good question. I am assuming the doors aren't 'locked', but the door release mechanism appears to be electrically operated. Thus - locked.

Curious as to what the better informed folks have to say.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm hardly "better informed", but, I'd just leave it th' heck alone...get the dang spare key Monday... and open 'er up that way. 'No chance of screwing anything up that way. :willy

The simpler, 'the gooder' in my view...

Paranoid Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I would think so, but never tried it. If you are a DIY type and are planning to service the car in the future anyway, then taking off the rear belly pan is the way to go. My understanding is the car is already on the lift, so as long as none of the lift parts are in the way. Just need a T27 screwdriver. Jumper a 12 volt supply it the starter leads should do the trick. Use a low current supply 5 < AMPS < 10 if you want to play it real safe, or a fused supply.

I tried using the key before and it takes too much force IMO, so I never opened it that way. Others have reported the same and if one push the close inward while turning the key makes is easier. But be careful not to bend the door panel.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I got locked out of my GT once after disconnecting the battery and stupidly closing the door. I tried to use my key to get it open, but I really felt like I was going to break the key in the lock, so I had to reconnect the battery in order to get the door open. I hope your lock works better than mine.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I got locked out of my GT once after disconnecting the battery and stupidly closing the door. I tried to use my key to get it open, but I really felt like I was going to break the key in the lock, so I had to reconnect the battery in order to get the door open. I hope your lock works better than mine.

Pretty much answers my question above. Apparently if the car was unlocked when you shut the door, upon restoring power it will still be unlocked. If the keys were locked in with a dead battery, I would just supply power to the positive terminal after removing the rear bellypan. Different situation if the car was locked when the power went dead and your keys are inside.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What am I missing here? They say the doors are unlocked but the keys are locked inside? Not making sense here? Maybe keys are locked in the trunk? You don't need power to open the doors mechanically. My keys work just fine on the door locks.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
With the keys on the inside and the doors closed (locked or unlocked) the dead battery renders the actuators inoperable. The manual system won't work due to the keys being on the wrong side of the closed door.

Translation - keys locked inside unlocked car :ack