Key Fob

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Anyone know of any companies offering an aftermarket key fob for the GT? The stock key fob is a joke. I want a unique looking key fob, possibly machined out of aluminum. If anyone knows of any availability of this type of product, please post here.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
You're Right!

It's exactly the same as any frumpy, pudge-nut, soccer-mom, family van.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
at the risk of getting stoned by my fellow GT ers..I have a guy here working on a white gold and enamal version. Unfortunaly, the we are having casting problems and the protoitype didn;t work...back to the drawing board..stay tuned.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Clax said:
Anyone know of any companies offering an aftermarket key fob for the GT? The stock key fob is a joke. I want a unique looking key fob, possibly machined out of aluminum. If anyone knows of any availability of this type of product, please post here.

Steeda makes a machined billet cover that fits over the remote section of Ford Mustang keys. It looks to me like it would fit the GT key.

http://www.steeda.com/

Look under Mustang Parts>Steeda Gear and scroll down.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There's an old thread on this. Seems like the newer Ford keys (like the Fusion) operate in a different fashion and can't be adapted. Genadi also has one in the works. Please check the GTX1 website.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Good find Florida Chris. I've sent an email to Steeda, inquiring whether it will work on a Ford GT remote. Not sure if they will know, since they may/may not have access to a remote.

If anyone has purchased this and can confirm, please let me know.

I think a machined cover might look okay. I'll follow up if I hear anything from Steeda.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks to Chris's lead - I bought one yesterday. The machined one as I expected it will match the console and trim better than a polished one. Based on what was shown - it looked like it would fit as the same key fob was used from everthying from trucks, to mini vans to mustangs and even the GT.

Will let you know when it arrives - by next Friday

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Sweet! I ordered one too. Everyone makes fun of my crappy Explorer key fob!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I'm in. I couldn't wait to hear from Steeda. So, I ordered the machined one too. This should be a huge improvement.

Thanks Chris.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That does look nice, can it be engraved in someway I wonder? Looks like it has something embossed on it already..........

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neilda said:
That does look nice, can it be engraved in someway I wonder? Looks like it has something embossed on it already..........

It has "Steeda" milled into it.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Florida Chris said:
It has "Steeda" milled into it.

Yeah, I wish it didn't have that, but oh well, anything is better than the shitty plastic thing!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Here is the response from Fred at Steeda:

Is yours a 3 or 4 button remote?

If either, it will fit !

And Patt of Steeda says that she has already processed 3 GT orders for the fob today.

Must be all our orders.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
SYCO GT said:
Here is the response from Fred at Steeda:

Is yours a 3 or 4 button remote?

If either, it will fit !

And Patt of Steeda says that she has already processed 3 GT orders for the fob today.

Must be all our orders.

Didn't work The son of a B*tch I got was a longer case (by 3/8") and the battery didn't line up I did state Ford GT - NOT MUSTANG and here we are at 8:30 PM looking to get an RMA.... There goes ~$12.00 shipping

[note to self - buy UPS, FED Ex, USPS etc.... they wil get rich!] :bored

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
MAD IN NC said:
Didn't work The son of a B*tch I got was a longer case (by 3/8") and the battery didn't line up I did state Ford GT - NOT MUSTANG and here we are at 8:30 PM looking to get an RMA.... There goes ~$12.00 shipping

[note to self - buy UPS, FED Ex, USPS etc.... they wil get rich!] :bored

Wow- that is sure a bummer. Must have shipped you the wrong one? :frown I am sitting here as I am typing this looking at two disassembled key remotes. One from my GT and one from my GT500 Mustang. They are absolutely identical in every dimension, inside and outside. I was going to order the Saleen fob. Do you think they might have sent you one for the three button remote? Saleen should definitely be reimbursing you for all your shipping costs!!

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Florida Chris said:
Wow- that is sure a bummer. Must have shipped you the wrong one? :frown I am sitting here as I am typing this looking at two disassembled key remotes. One from my GT and one from my GT500 Mustang. They are absolutely identical in every dimension, inside and outside. I was going to order the Saleen fob. Do you think they might have sent you one for the three button remote? Saleen should definitely be reimbursing you for all your shipping costs!!

Nope, I ordered right! - it was a 4 button fob Chris but the original was ~3/8" shorter than the Steeda cover. PM me with your address. If it cost more to return - I'll give it to you! :cheers

As such if worse come to worse I'll send this one to you. You have the cars and can use it. I'll wait for a new one..........

Mike :cheers

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Anyone else get theirs?

I am still waiting for mine to arrive...

Let us know if the Saleen fob works on the GT remote.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2006
Mine was a perfect fit.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Got mine, buttons (4) matched fine. It would not work when I put it back together. By the way, waht does the trunk open button do?
Don

Aug 25, 2006
Tungsten said:
Got mine, buttons (4) matched fine. It would not work when I put it back together. By the way, waht does the trunk open button do?
Don

Opens the front bonnet....

Shadowman