just replaced my half shaft bolts

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
I did the Accufab bolt change. a couple of things that made the job interesting:

1). i removed the tire on each side to get better access to the bolts.

2). there were no instructions with the box of bolts which was a pretty big oversight on the mfg's side. thanks to Google, I was able to get Accufab's instructions.

3). i was lucky that i could find an 8mm 12 point socket. thank goodness i have a Sears nearby.

4). i also needed a variety of extensions to get to the bolts with enough room for my long torque wrench.

5). to all who have posted technical tips on this board -- THANK YOU.

6). especially nice was finding on this board the TSB regarding using RTV to seal the splines behind the washer.

7). one of the biggest pains was running a tap through the threads of the two inner bolts. it was very hard to get to that small tap so deep in the wheel well.

8). the second wheel went SO much faster than the first since i had made all my trips to the parts store & Sears for odds & ends to finish the job.

9). the second biggest pain was getting a long torque wrench in the engine bay to torque the outer bolts. i had a smaller torque wrench that went to 30 ft lbs (first stage), but the small wrench didn't go to 55 ft lbs.

10). the third biggest pain was constantly applying the emergency brake to stop the rotor while torquing the bolts.

11). NUMBER THE BOLTS !!!! the confined space makes it nearly impossible to know what order you are torquing the bolts if you don't number them.

12). double (and even triple) check your torques on all bolts.

13). Torx nuts are really a pain....not sure why Ford used them in this car.

thanfully, my test drive did not result in a call to AAA, so i believe i can chalk this one up as a success.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...and just think...you'll NEVER have to do it again, Rick! :biggrin :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
You did well

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rick,

Awesome job..... and I'm betting that you have no regrets at all for having done the work yourself!! Sounds like you did a first class job!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was always very impressed that the Revolve mechanic did a half-shaft bolt replacement on the road en route to Le Mans a couple of years back.... Not something I would even know how to do!