Just got back from Detroit.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
7,500+ miles later and I finally got back from the Detroit rally.

Great trip - from Detroit up Michigan across into Canada, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Vancouver, Seattle, took the coast road down through Washington, Oregon and into California, crossed over to Nevada City, lake Tahoe and down through the Antelope valley to LA.

A great trip, car never missed a beat, got a great reception everywhere, stopped in some great places and met a lot of really nice people.

Driving highlight (there were many) but an early morning run on a deserted road heading down out of the Canadian Rockies from Jasper to Vancouver. What a drive! What a landscape! What a car! Bliss!

A few photographs...

A Bed and Breakfast American style! - Traverse City, MI

American shrubbery! - Avenue of the Giants

GT in need of a tooth pick - butterflies en route to Calgary.

Canadian Glacier Runabout - Ice Fields Parkway

Ice Fields Parkway

I just don't know what it is but there is a distinctly American flavour to this image...

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
WOW

What a trip - what a blast.

Has to be lifetime memories.

Was the car comfortable for that long?

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
It's surprisingly comfortable.

Everyone I know that has either driven for a long stretch of been passenger has said the same. With one notable exception - my good woman!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
How did you manage your luggage during the trip?

mardyn

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Nice images, as always...

What a awesome journey! I'll be lucky is Gayle and I make it to Napa Valley within the next month. Glad you guys had a safe trip.

Jay
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Last edited:

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
wonderful pictures. I am jealous. Too old to drive so far but you made me feel good when I saw the pics.

leon

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
“American Shrubbery"

Glad you made it home safe and sound, and that the machine performed flawlessly.:thumbsup

I like your reference to the “American Shrubbery”; you know those things really should have been located in Texas.:biggrin

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
mardyn said:
How did you manage your luggage during the trip?

mardyn

By utilizing Fedex/UPS, the footwell on the passenger side and cramming anything that can take the heat into the front trunk space. Boy it gets hot in there!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Just got Home -too

Carl - nice photo's. Did you get any next to Paul Bunyan & Babe his Blue Ox? If not I can send you one of mine. You can't tell your car from mine anyway.Giant Shrubbery - great description. Not enough water in Texas to grow a tree that big.

I too just got home. You take the honors on road miles. I only totalled 6,262.
I skipped Banff and Lake Louise as there was a tremendous storm there after you went through. I did the lower Canadian Rockies from Alberta to B.C. Then south into very smokey Washington. 200 square miles of burning forests.

Hope to see you this fall --

Give my regards to your papa.
Jeff

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow! That's one hell of a trip. Glad we could be a stop along the way. I've always wanted to drive through Vancouver and western Canada as it has some of the most spectacular scenery in the world (when it's not raining). That's certainly a journey of a lifetime, glad you and your Dad had a good time.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What a trip! :eek Great photos and a great post. :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
what an amazing trip, glad all went well!

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Glad you are home safe. You and your dad had a great one in a lifetime adventure. See Ya.......George & Pat

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Biff, those are great shots. I've never seen one of those trees in the 'flesh' but understand they are awsome.... Yuk on the butterflies!

Glad to hear you have a good trip...

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Carl,
Your photos are SPECTACULAR and your narrative is a hoot. It was a treat and a pleasure getting to know you and your Dad in Michigan.

I have a great picture of you and your Dad at Camillo's party. Pls PM me with your email address and I'll email it to you.
Michele - aka Mrs. Blue Moose