Jimmy Buffett thread?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Several years ago I think it was, a aircraft pilot member here posted about Jimmy boarding their private plane for a minute to say hello, and they ended up talking about favorite island spots and things like that. I always thought that was so cool. His recent passing made me think of this, and I was going to look it up, but can't find it using the search bar. Anybody else recall that? I'm not a huge Parrothead or anything, but I did think he seemed like a hell of a nice guy and I enjoy some of his music.

RIP Jimmy.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yeah (y) seemed like a good ol' regular dude who just happened to figure out how to make millions singing catchy tunes about cheeseburgers and stepping on a pop tart and blowing out his flip flops ... what a world! (y) :cool: 🍹

No offense intended, BTW: He was awesome and his songs are still great for beaches, vacations, islands, pools, boating, well, almost anywhere actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: DakotaGT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I loved his music. "Stuck in your head" music. Buffet was a regular in Vegas, 2 or 3 times a year. When we began coming out here in the late 90s our trips and his shows never aligned. I came alone for a few shows but never his. I liked him but he was so regular that I never made a trip just for when he was playing. Later when we moved here it became the same thing - other stuff conflicted and his shows never bumped whatever else was happening. He was even on my Ticketmaster list. There was always "the next one". Well, I messed that up bad.

His shows reminded me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show - dress up or feel way out of place.

So long Jimmy!

Is this what you're looking for? #2 in the search list...

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I loved his music. "Stuck in your head" music. Buffet was a regular in Vegas, 2 or 3 times a year. When we began coming out here in the late 90s our trips and his shows never aligned. I came alone for a few shows but never his. I liked him but he was so regular that I never made a trip just for when he was playing. Later when we moved here it became the same thing - other stuff conflicted and his shows never bumped whatever else was happening. He was even on my Ticketmaster list. There was always "the next one". Well, I messed that up bad.

His shows reminded me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show - dress up or feel way out of place.

So long Jimmy!

Is this what you're looking for? #2 in the search list...

That's the one! Thanks. I see why it didn't show up for me- I typed in "Jimmy Buffett" in quotes, and they misspelled his name in that post.

Yeah, just like Tom Petty and countless others, I always figured I would eventually see them perform, but now it's too late. Damn.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
That's the one! Thanks. I see why it didn't show up for me- I typed in "Jimmy Buffett" in quotes, and they misspelled his name in that post.

Yeah, just like Tom Petty and countless others, I always figured I would eventually see them perform, but now it's too late. Damn.
Only tangentially related, but I missed the Ramones that way (figured I’d see them next time), and had tickets to Linkin Park’s NYC show (which was cancelled when the lead singer died).

Life is uncertain—definitely go see the show!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm slowly picking off some of the old time lesser known bands. Saw Air Supply last Friday.

My daughter and I are going to U2 at the new Sphere. I'm not a U2 superfan but am really interested in seeing how this sphere thing works. They claim with their speaker system that every seat has the same sound.

U2 tickets were like getting a NFGT (or new Mustang). You had to apply. Then you got told if you could go search for day/seat if you won. We didn't get the first round but they added shows for a second round and I got in the lottery and got seats. They were pricey but not the most expensive we've gotten.

Petty was on my list of didn't make it. I also missed Phil Collins. Still waiting for Springsteen to come back to Vegas. My daughter figured out we saw him in Denver in 2009 but the Pepsi Center (now Ball Arena) sound was horrible. Some venues are made for sports some for concerts. Denver not so good at concerts. In Vegas the MGM Grand Arena was designed for hockey but also sound. T-Mobile is a "grown up" MGM Grand so also very good for concerts. The new Allegiant stadium is a huge football field and doesn't rate well although the big guys try to use it.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I got lucky, saw him in Phoenix last spring. Good show and really enjoyed his book "A Salty Piece of Land". Just outrageous fun.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Then there's guys like Ozzy and Kieth Richards that will never die.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
They were pickled alive.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Could not resist

Have to enlarge the first one

Attachments

• IMG_2101.jpeg