Jenson Button's Ford Gt

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
It ha been on the Internet that British Formula One Champion Jason Button is selling his 2005 white/blue stripe Ford GT. I was however, very surprised to read in this month's Top Gear Magazine page 53, that Button considers the Ford Gt as "the worst car he ever bought". Worse apparently than his first car bought, a Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 non-turbo. He even lists his Ferrari 355 as a car he loves and would never sell. As an owner of a 2005 Ford GT, coincidentally in white/blue stripes, I really do not get his "worst car ever" designation for the GT. I know everyone is entitled to his opinion, but what gives? His only comment is that the Ford GT "has no traction". Again, this coming from a F1 chamipion, who owns many cars including a Porsche Carrera GT and a Veyron. Any one have any idea what he is thinking?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Could be a false report. Jenson Button is an F1 World Champ. Jason? If it is Jenson, he may have listened to much to Jeremy Clarkson.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Everybody has an opinion, just like everybody has a butt....................and they're usually full of sh..............:poof:

Net Net - you know what your car is like. Is it somehow diminished by a newspaper article? :skep

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You would think he would be smart enough and experienced enough to rid his car of the Goodyears.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I found my GT amazing at Daytona on its Hoosiers. The downforce & grip was amazing, much better than my 512TR race car & my Z06 back when it was stock

What tires do you suggest for the GT ?

Tire Rack only had the Goodyears available for it

I like the YOKO AVS or Generals for the street cus they are cheap & stick well, since I dont street race I dont need a ton of grip on the street

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Lemme guess, he still had the stock tires on it. Sigh

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Bridgestones

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
+1 on the Bridgestones.

Can't beat the Hoosiers for the track tho

The thread;

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-THE-Tire-Thread&highlight=the+tire+thread

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
For someone who didn't like it .He owned for 5 or so years

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
I was just curious how someone of Buttons obvious driving skills and love of fast production cars, could have such an extreme and divergent opinion about the Ford GT than almost the entire world automotive press. EVO 2006 Performance Car of the Year, etc. If he said it was not his all time favorite would be one thing, but the worst? And to answer Kingman, Button's opinion, or for that matter anyone's, would not diminish my appreciation for my car. I thought it was just odd to read his opinion, and thought maybe someone else knew more about his experience with the GT.
By the way, I switched to the Bridgestone's and agree that they are a great tire upgrade. Did the same switch to REO50A on my Z8 a few years ago. on the Z8 even a bigger difference, since the RE050A replaced Bridgestone "run craps".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
he is a douche

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
he is a douche

Tell us how you really feel. :lol

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Typical anti-americanism, see it all the time when I travel to England and continent. Ignore it. Have him ship t he car back to the US where someone can appreciate it. Probably doesn't have an open road to let it out on.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I thought Clarkson loved his GT?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I thought Clarkson loved his GT?

Long story but he did then he didn't . If he'd done his research he would not have blamed Ford. I suspect this guy is just sucking up. I know a couple of excellent NASCAR drivers who love their GTs and could likely kick this guys a$$

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The Brits love focused discord on most anything the Yanks do well. Particularly when it involves anything automotive. Bollocks! But he CAN drive!

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
If you don't mind, exactly what Bridgestone's did you put on your GT? I'm ordering tires now and looking at my options, thanks.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
So, I'm guessing Mr. Button will not be the guest speaker at the Rally VII banquet?

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hoosiers for ultimate traction. I & many others use them as our only tire. Some people like the Bridgestones better than the Goodyears but neither come even close to the Hoosiers for traction (they have gone 260mph+ on GTs). BlackIce had concerns but drove 700 miles round trip to Mojave with us (4 GTs with Hoosiers) with no problems.

Button is mad with Ford I believe so their products will be bad mouthed by him.

Ed

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
If you don't mind, exactly what Bridgestone's did you put on your GT? I'm ordering tires now and looking at my options, thanks.

Read this thread Sonic.
It's long, but you will learn all we have amassed about tires of for the GT.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-THE-Tire-Thread