IW 10% underdrive/2.80 FRPP Rear Exit Install

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Luke-
The axle bolt problem is a dead horse, and you are late to the party.

Ford did not screw up the bolt. Ricardo the transaxle supplier did. They did not know about hydrogen embrittlement, which by the way Ford research engineers DID figure out and got all the cars (that wanted the free warranty work) new bolts sourced from a domestic bolt manufacturer.

Please, let's leave this one alone....use the search button to research.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I'll have to take a another look at getting a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche. I bet they never reuse engine parts on other models, have recalls, or have all this confusion over aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Luke-
The axle bolt problem is a dead horse, and you are late to the party.

Ford did not screw up the bolt. Ricardo the transaxle supplier did. They did not know about hydrogen embrittlement, which by the way Ford research engineers DID figure out and got all the cars (that wanted the free warranty work) new bolts sourced from a domestic bolt manufacturer.

Please, let's leave this one alone....use the search button to research.
How about the pulley and tune and which bolts should I buy, the Ford replacements or the Accufabs?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How about the pulley and tune and which bolts should I buy, the Ford replacements or the Accufabs?

Accufab bolts are reusable, whereas the Ford ones are not. Either would work fine if used as intended.

As for a pulley and tune, I would get a pulley from one of many aftermarket vendors and buy a Racer Pro license from SCT that will allow me to mod my own tunes. I chose to skip the pulley and get a Whipple with Racer Pro. A pulley and tune from Ford as not attractive because of the lack of any owner customization.

Aug 25, 2006
X2
I do have both sets of casting here from a gt500 and a gt. I'll post pics of the part no:s and let you all be the decider if there the same. I know they are, im not guessing. THE only difference inbetween the Gt/gt500 cylinder heads is the Exhaust valves. I have cross refferenced part no:s and all the springs, intake valves and the rest of the hardware is the same. The Ford Gt head was the lastest improvement of the 2000 Cobra head with minor changes.

Huuum....... valves yes and how about the lack of the knock sensor boss ..... ooops in the block?

Regardless now I too am curious

Thank you

Shadowman

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Huuum....... valves yes and how about the lack of the knock sensor boss?

Now I too am curious

Thank you

Shadowman

Isn't the knock sensor boss cast into the valley of the engine block on mod fords?

Aug 25, 2006
Isn't the knock sensor boss cast into the valley of the engine block on mod fords?

Yes sir. I have corrected my error ...... Now I am looking at part numbers at this time and they show the head as Ford GT specific

Regardless a very cool gal with the heart of a lion; a heart that I feel received much thought before being presenting to all of us.

Shadowman

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Even the valve covers differ from the 500 to the GT- found that out when I painted mine and was looking to keep the originals off to the side....

The 500 covers are different, don't know why

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
From what I understand the origin of the GT head (as referenced above) was derived from the 2000 Mustang Cobra R. Others probably know more.

Now I am looking at part numbers at this time and they show the head as Ford GT specific

The 500 valve covers have an oil fill hole, as it does not have a dry sump.

Even the valve covers differ from the 500 to the GT- found that out when I painted mine and was looking to keep the originals off to the side....

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Before this get's too carried away let me apologize for the hint of sarcasm and for the leading question :) That said the more I think about the more I really do want to know the answer and what you guys think. You state the Ford tune is not as attractive because you cannot customize it. Why would one want to customize it? The Ford engineers had a wealth of test data to base their tune on. It seems just as risky to accept an aftermarket tune from vendors who undoubtedly do not even come close to Ford in their level of understanding. Seems no different to me than the balancer modification? For you guys who assert Ford knows best on the balancer, do you feel the same way about their tune and if not, how do you explain this incongruity?

As for a pulley and tune, I would get a pulley from one of many aftermarket vendors and buy a Racer Pro license from SCT that will allow me to mod my own tunes. I chose to skip the pulley and get a Whipple with Racer Pro. A pulley and tune from Ford as not attractive because of the lack of any owner customization.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

My one post stated that the timing gears that turn the cams are smaller on the Gt500 so the motor would go in the car from the bottom. So there for the valve covers were smaller also. All the bolt holes etc are the same and the gt valve covers will work on the gt500, just gt500 valve covers won't clear the cam gears of the Gt.

An assemble gt head will have a different part no than the gt500 counter part due to the exhaust valve. I am just sayn the castings are 100% identical, as i know from experience!!! i would imagine when ford runs out of Gt castings, you will see the part no's interchange. But the Gt was donebefore the Gt500 and maybe thats why the part no's are gt specific. Kinda like the inner door handles being from a E350 van and the blinker switch being from a focus. Both carry Ford gt specific part numbers even though the same with a different car!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Ford engineers had a wealth of test data to base their tune on. It seems just as risky to accept an aftermarket tune from vendors who undoubtedly do not even come close to Ford in their level of understanding. Seems no different to me than the balancer modification? For you guys who assert Ford knows best on the balancer, do you feel the same way about their tune and if not, how do you explain this incongruity?

Well, you know what they say. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Might as well throw mine in. Having read the entire thread, I'll chime in on a few points:

1. Although we've been on the edge, I think it is great that we can have this discussion/debate on this kind of forum without once seeing it resort to name calling and personal attacks. That's why this is a good place - comprised of good people.... don't let it slide!

2. Regarding the engine tunes and why the aftermarket can (seemingly) do as well as Ford: The first point is that Ford Racing and Ford are not one in the same and the GT Tune is coming from Ford Racing. No doubt, the Ford Racing engineers are very smart and there is much collaboration with Ford - but still, they are two different environments. But this is, perhaps, a minor point. At the risk of oversimplifying, an aftermarket tune really has 3 major objectives: a) Safe A/F ratio; b) safe timing; c) driveability (transitions, idle, tip-in, etc). All of these objectives must be achieved for various altitudes, temperatures, boost conditions, etc. The major point here is that the ability to monitor these parameters as well as to know what ECU table changes are local and which are global and how they interact is a learned skill - and practiced/refined over a lot of time (years) by the prestigous tuners that are commonly referenced on this forum. I submit that one of the largest variables amoung tuners is their individual definition of "safe". I suspect that Ford Racing, for example, might tend to be one of the more conservative. The net is that I would have no qualms about installing a Heffner, Shadowman, Torrie, etc. tune in my car. Now, if we turn the tables just a bit and say that we have to create the highest output tune AND meet ALL of the constraints/parameters of the OEM.... things like, emissions to the nth degree under EVERY operation condition, corporate engine longevity stds, WOT test for several hours, etc. - then I will say I would trust the OEM to do that better than anyone else. If no other reason, they uniquely have the gazillion dollars of equipment to do this properly as well as the wealth of historical experience.

3. Regarding the harminic balancer: My opinion is that Ford did a truely remarkable job in creating the GT and of the components in a very short time. As we know, the final engine that we have was not finished until reatively late in the game. I have EVERY confidence that Ford has given us a balancer that is perfectly fit for this application - and for the lifetime of the car. For this, I have no doubts. Where I may agree with Luke is that perhaps there are tweaks and improvements that can be made. Theoretically (ignorance is bliss - just ask me), it may be possible to make a balancer that is both lighter while simultaneosly meeting all of the other parameters that the balancer has to do. The question is... who has the gazillion $ of equipment, access to multiple identical GT engines, and a wealth of knowledge to test/evaluate this. For me, I would only trust Ford. OK, so what motivation is there to discard the OEM balancer anyway? This is my last point.

4. Why discard the OEM balancer in favor of ANY other balancer? Because it is "bad"? Nope, I don't believe this. For the gains in HP and rev ability because of lighter weight? Nope, the risk rewards equation just doesn't work for me i.e., the potential gains are modest compared to the uncertainty (not to mention the time, effort, and cost to change.) To have the ability to spin the OEM SC faster and produce more boost with less risk of belt slippage with a smaller upper pulley only? I say no again. First, and most importantly, the limiting factor of producing more "good boost" with the OEM blower is NOT a function of getting to a pulley just above where belt slippage occurs. Rather, there is an efficiency point of the OEM SC that CAN be achieved and exceeded with an upper pulley ONLY. You have only to look at what Kenne Bell achieved by doing exactly this. Simply stated, if you want to run a very small upper pulley - you have just to do what Kenne Bell did and that is to shim power steering pump away from its mount to make up for the belt slack. This is a simple solution - far easier and less expensive than a lower balancer change. You will exceed blower efficiency BEFORE you have belt slippage with a upper pulley only swap.

Finally, I do not make any assertions that the IW or any other balancer is either better or worse than the OEM balancer. I just do not have enough data available (i.e. exhaustive testing on our exact engines) to know that an aftermarket IS as good or better. JMO, ICBW

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kendall, have you been taking writing lessons from IndyGT?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice post Kendall.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

I shudder to think of what might happen if we didn't have Frank!!

(love ya, buddy)

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Nice post Kendall.

Ditto. Kendall, you have a future in Politics.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
First off Thank you Extreme 281 for sharing your project with us with such good documentation. I look forward to watching more . Please keep us posted with progress and results. :thumbsup:cheers :bow:usa

Second thank you to SAGT,Indy GT, Luke Warm, Black ice, Shadowman, Mad in NC, Specracer, Dbackg(for the link to SAE Paper), Kendall and DBK for one of the most professional and mature discussions I have ever read on a Forum. No name calling, good sources, and lively comments. Someday maybe the other Forums will grow to this level.:cheers

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Wow, not even close! Earlier in this thread there is a link to an older thread where IndyGT contributed a long technical engineering dissertation on the balancer. I read the post with interest and made a couple of conclusions; 1) 80% of what IndyGT was writing about was over my head; 2) I didn't think he was making any of that stuff up and; 3) I vowed NEVER, EVER, to take a side opposed to Indy on any technical topic! Sadly, I've peaked and will never be as good at laying this stuff out as Indy!

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
First off Thank you Extreme 281 for sharing your project with us with such good documentation. I look forward to watching more . Please keep us posted with progress and results. :thumbsup:cheers :bow:usa

Second thank you to SAGT,Indy GT, Luke Warm, Black ice, Shadowman, Mad in NC, Specracer, Dbackg(for the link to SAE Paper), Kendall and DBK for one of the most professional and mature discussions I have ever read on a Forum. No name calling, good sources, and lively comments. Someday maybe the other Forums will grow to this level.:cheers

I agree, great thread. Well handled.

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
OK finally got the balance on .I would never recommend installing the balancer to somebody that does not have experence.There is alot of cleanig up around the Dry sump oil pump and casting on the timing cover .You have to grind down the TDC marks ,Where the plastic cover bolts down for the oil pump belt drive on the timing cover ,oil feed hose and housing and the casting on the timing cover where the crank sensor bolts to .All of this is not visible when the dampner is on and can look clean just depending on who is doing it .Once you have the Dampner on i would change the blower pulley since you have total access to the tensioner .With the IW 10% and a 2.80 the stock belt works but its a tight fit .The stock damner weighs 21lbs and the IW weighs 11lb
035-2.jpg

047-1.jpg

043-1.jpg

052.jpg

036-2.jpg

This is on the bottom by the braided oil feed line .I would leave enough room to slip the belt off n on without having to remove the dampner
050.jpg

Cleaning the fitting on the braided line to clear from hitting the belt
056.jpg

060.jpg

Make sure to silicone the bolt as Ford did ,Dont want a leak
048.jpg

After everything its just up to you and what you expect out of your GT .Believe me ,10lbs of rotating mass is going to help all around .NO matter what you do 1/4 ,roadcross or even street race its going to make a difference .I modify my 190 mile GT cuz i have friends that have modified ZR1 and TT Garllados and my GT is going to live up to its name .If you want something that simply bolts on get the IW dampner without the 10% or even the ATI dampner ,its not billet but way lighter ,im going to dyno the car this week i will let you know what it pulls .

These are other vehicles i have so you can know who you are taking advice from
04 Cobra Hellion twin turbo kit ,1016rwhp
013.jpg

Cobrapic.jpg

duron_mystic_cobra.jpg

98 Hot Street PSCA Champ 07,08 #2 in 09
AdrianPSCAFirebird.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

07 GT500 with similar mods went a 10.76 123
elp2.jpg

GT500-2001.jpg