I've got a question about Exhaust systems

Para82

Dec 23, 2006
A friend has asked that I take care of the 'weak' sound of his Ford GT. He has the Borla aftermarket exhaust on there right now and it does sound a bit too quiet for a supercar.

Is there a street-legal exhaust system that gives explosive sound? What is the loudest, deepest rumbling system?

Thanks

Nick

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
A friend has asked that I take care of the 'weak' sound of his Ford GT. He has the Borla aftermarket exhaust on there right now and it does sound a bit too quiet for a supercar.

Is there a street-legal exhaust system that gives explosive sound? What is the loudest, deepest rumbling system?

Thanks

Nick

Ford's "off road" header system is hands down the loudest ...if that's what you want. But, folks here on the Forum have said there's no livin' with it's noise level on the street!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Add the headers to the borla cat back and it's quite a bit louder. Or just trade the borla for something like the Heffner or Accufab exhaust.

Para82

Dec 23, 2006
Adding the headers is what I want to do but i'm not sure if it will pass California inspections...

Replacing the catback with Accufab is an option but do you think it will be significantly louder than the Borla catback?

I appreciate the feedback! :cheers

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Many previous topic threads.....
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3051
as well as others...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Adding the headers is what I want to do but i'm not sure if it will pass California inspections...

Replacing the catback with Accufab is an option but do you think it will be significantly louder than the Borla catback?

I appreciate the feedback! :cheers

Yes, the Accufab, Heffner, and Ida cat backs are all unmuffled past the cats. They make substantially more noise than the Borla.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Yes, the Accufab, Heffner, and Ida cat backs are all unmuffled past the cats. They make substantially more noise than the Borla.

I can't speak for the others but the IDA has baffles to reduce sound.

Dave

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I can't speak for the others but the IDA has baffles to reduce sound.

Dave

I stand corrected on the IDA.

The Heffner has baffles as well, they are removable.

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
You could always get cherry bombs. :lol

On a more serious note, Ford gave Borla a development car before production to produce an after market exhaust, so i think that with the headers it would be a nice system.

Couldn't you just loose the mufflers and put a pipe where you took them out? You would have the better Borla system which is more efficient but not have the mufflers. Just a quick thought.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Ford's "off road" header system is hands down the loudest ...if that's what you want. But, folks here on the Forum have said there's no livin' with it's noise level on the street!

I started with the borla exhaust, and then I got the ford racing headers. And it is the best sounding car I have heard. I can live with it on the street with no problem. It gets really loud at around 4500 rpm and I love it.

I agree that just the borla by itself was not loud enough.

Also with the addtion of the ford long tube racing headers, there is no drone noise at any rpm. The only problem is, that the system is not street legal, but almost all the exhausts out there will not pass the decibel test anyways.

Last edited:

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
SS works header and cat system seems a good way to go, I have not heard them yet , but will have them installed by Rich (GT Guys) april 4th and will let you know... accordeing to the exsperts they will past the calif sniff test....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
SS works header and cat system seems a good way to go, I have not heard them yet , but will have them installed by Rich (GT Guys) april 4th and will let you know... accordeing to the exsperts they will past the calif sniff test....

They may pass the sniffer test, but you also better hope the smog tech is blind too, because if he knows his cars, it won't pass the visual inspection unless it has a CARB EO number. If the headers aren't on this list, it can fail the test.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Can anyone recommend where one could find a blind or dumb smog tech?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Thank GOD we don't have all those BS requlations where I live!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thank GOD we don't have all those BS requlations where I live!

We don't have 'em over here either, Boss, but don't count on it stayin' that way. It's only a matter of time.

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
I bought the muffler from fordgtexhaust.com. I have not tested it yet but, from their web site it appears that it will sound great. The quality is outstanding.

Oh yeah, no BS rules where I live either......but too much snow to drive!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bought the muffler from fordgtexhaust.com. I have not tested it yet but, from their web site it appears that it will sound great. The quality is outstanding.

Oh yeah, no BS rules where I live either......but too much snow to drive!

Please post some pictures of the fordgtexhaust.com part. No one has really seen one and the web site only shows the tips.

BYW, WA state makes the short list of states to live in. Good to hear no BS smog test there. The only thing is the rain, rain and rain.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
They may pass the sniffer test, but you also better hope the smog tech is blind too, because if he knows his cars, it won't pass the visual inspection unless it has a CARB EO number. If the headers aren't on this list, it can fail the test.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Can anyone recommend where one could find a blind or dumb smog tech?

Not sure how hard they would look on a GT, since it would likely be their first GT.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Hands down get the IDA.

Just have bob make it with out baffels,You can just add later.Got that set up
with pulley and everything elase sounds great.But that IDA on the whipple
car is Coolest richest sound there is hands down.

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
I bought my Borla "Ford Racing" muffler system from a member here. I think his name was Teddy, not sure.

But, none the less, it has many attributes. It's a Ford Racing item, (the script and all) high quality, and the best looking tips, imo, on the market.

But, if you want loud, well, then these are only slightly loud. (Although my wife says she can hear me coming from a 1/2 mile away). So don't let that fool you. The FR muffler is plenty loud, if you consider age, I'm 59, and tone quality. This FR part, imo, is great. I think Teddy also wanted something louder, to each his own, and I hope he's happy with whatever he chose).

But, having had most every high performance, hot, cool, exotic, etc car available, eventually the "loud" will wear you down.

It's really cool to run through the gears and hear it "sing", but eventually, you just need to drive from point A to point B.

I'm not trying to disagree with anyone here who wants that ferocious sound like these cars can deliver, but in the long run, that may not be the best answer. (Thanks Teddy, if I remember your name right, it's an awesome 'tuned" exhaust note) May not be the loudest, but, imo, sounds exactly right for the car. I think I got a real bargain!!!!!

Just another opinion.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego

These systems are much louder outside the car than inside. With the Accufab, conversations are easy at anything less than full thottle, but it measures 104 Db out the back at 50 feet.

Craig