Is this true regarding the engine management system?

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I copied this statement from a post I found when doing a search about the oil pump belt.

"External pump is driven by a crankshaft belt which could fail and I am sure the engine monitoring system would shut down the engine immediately due to no oil pressure."

Is it true that the engine monitoring system would shut down the engine if the pump or belt failed?

AJK

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I suspect it would at least go into 'limp' mode. It does that when temps go outside acceptable ranges.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know about the FGT, but other cars I have studied have turn off the fuel pumps if oil pressure is absent and the only exception is when the starte motory is cranking. A safety feature in case the car has crashed and you are unable to turn the engine off.

Last edited:

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Oil pump belt

While sitting here at Chip's taking a short break from working on cars we thought we check the forum for the latest gossip.

As far as the oil pump belt issue as far as we know if the belt breaks the only way you will know is by the gauge and gauge light. If you are not quick enough it will be quite costly. The sending unit won't shut the engine down as we all know from the mulitple failures on the oil sending units. How many cars out there are driving with bad sending units? The sending unit feeds the gauge showing no oil pressure and the car is still running.

Sorry no fail safe on this one.

H

HHGT

while sitting here at chip's taking a short break from working on cars we thought we check the forum for the latest gossip.

As far as the oil pump belt issue as far as we know if the belt breaks the only way you will know is by the gauge and gauge light. If you are not quick enough it will be quite costly. The sending unit won't shut the engine down as we all know from the mulitple failures on the oil sending units. How many cars out there are driving with bad sending units? The sending unit feeds the gauge showing no oil pressure and the car is still running.

Sorry no fail safe on this one.

yikes!!!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
While I defer to Rich as to knowing our car and its systems without peers, I am surprised that the Ford electronic engine monitoring box we have does not somehow sense oil pressure or possibly gerotor pump speed(?).

Agreed we have seen early failures of the oil pressure sending units as well as gauges and our cars merrily drive on. This is fact. So obviously the sensing cannot be from this oil pressure sensiing circuit.

Ford's launch into a production release of a new dry-sump oil system uniquely created for the GT's MOD 5.4 engine was a pretty avant-garde idea back in 2002. I know these systems have been around for a long time in racing circuits but not in a production (spell that warranty claims) arena. Thus this I believe was new terrirory to explore, and I would think venturing into the unknown with a new oiling system whose failure would be VERY costly in terms of a warranty engine replacement, there would be sufficient electronic monitoring or safeguards in place.

Again, I do defer to Rich's (and Dennis') intimate knowledge of our car. Just surprised if the engine can actually run on with a failed external oil pump belt.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Has any belts ever failed?

Anyone?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Has any belts ever failed?

Anyone?

Not to my knowledge but its one of the primary reasons why the replacement schedule of the belt should be followed. its pretty cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things because what Rich states above is correct.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
autometer has gages that will alarm when a predetermined limit has been surpased, this would be a good application for that. if someone could wire such an alarm system to the oil pressure gage, it might save someone in the unlikely event of belt failure

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Couldn't you use a hall effect tranducer on the pumps pulley to show when it has stopped rotating? Seems pretty simple to me. It could either trip a light or shut the ignition down or one of those incrediably annoying alarms!

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Couldn't you use a hall effect tranducer on the pumps pulley to show when it has stopped rotating? Seems pretty simple to me. It could either trip a light or shut the ignition down or one of those incrediably annoying alarms!

John

Monitoring the pulley doesn't save you from other failures such as an oil line breaking. I would say having a smart circuit monitor the pressure sensor is better. One that will monitor RPM and oil pressure and sound an alarm and or cut off the engine if data sensed is outside of normal operation.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So everyone really wants an engine cut? Really? so you are headed through an exit ramp, and BANG the engine turns off, and locks the rear wheels, shooting the car into a guard rail? With no oil pressure at least the car will run (for a little while) and you can stop or coast to safety....

Just a thought..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
So everyone really wants an engine cut? Really? so you are headed through an exit ramp, and BANG the engine turns off, and locks the rear wheels, shooting the car into a guard rail? With no oil pressure at least the car will run (for a little while) and you can stop or coast to safety....

Just a thought..

Pros and cons of cutting off the engine. Some cars do, others don't. Some times you would rather risk engine damage and have the engine still running. At other times you would prefer the engine turns off. A good compromise would be to have an progressive alarm sound and flash to alert the driver to the problem and then to only cut the power after a programmable number of seconds past.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I think have one of those incrediably annoying alarms would do it or you could have a female voice come on saying "you are about to fry this baby if you don't shut her down". :rofl

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think have one of those incrediably annoying alarms would do it or you could have a female voice come on saying "you are about to fry this baby if you don't shut her down". :rofl

John

I already have one of those! :lol

EP would call it a wifey.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
autometer has gages that will alarm when a predetermined limit has been surpased, this would be a good application for that. if someone could wire such an alarm system to the oil pressure gage, it might save someone in the unlikely event of belt failure

I like this idea. Could it be set so that if the oil pressure dropped that the horn would sound or be hooked into some other warning device already on the car. Just changing the belt at recommended intervals doesn't guarantee that the belt couldn't come off or fail. Sounds like a good project for those with the knowledge and resources.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I already have one of those! :lol

EP would call it a wifey.

Yep, that is exactly the sound I was talking about! :thumbsup Although sometimes my alarm is faulty (falls asleep). :rofl

John