Is a little gear whine normal?

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
I've got about 700 miles on my car since I received it Christmas Day. When I got it, it had about 5,000 miles on it. I don't remember having any gear whine on day one, but since then, I have developed a gear whine that seems to be coming from the shifter area. It only does it when I let off the gas. I know, just don't ever let off the gas............. And it will do it even if I put it up in neutral will I'm moving, clutch in or clutch out. I've got the short shifter. Coming from the shifter area is what has me baffled. Any ideas?

Dolph

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Does not sound normal at all. I recall your car having the 3.90 gears from your earlier posts..., Maybe there is something going on inside....

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Yes, Shelby, it does have the 3.90 gears. And the sound does sound like a rearend whine, but I even got Kim in the car and she says the sound is coming from the shifter area.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I had a wheel bearing noise in my truck coming from the front. I thought it was the front, the wife the shop owner and the mechanic all thought it was coming from the front. After replacing front wheel bearings I am now replacing the rear. When we put the truck in the air and ran it up to 45+ it was obvious it was the right rear but in the cab it very much sounded like the front. Cabin noise can be very misleading. Good luck.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
I've got about 700 miles on my car since I received it Christmas Day. When I got it, it had about 5,000 miles on it. I don't remember having any gear whine on day one, but since then, I have developed a gear whine that seems to be coming from the shifter area. It only does it when I let off the gas. I know, just don't ever let off the gas............. And it will do it even if I put it up in neutral will I'm moving, clutch in or clutch out. I've got the short shifter. Coming from the shifter area is what has me baffled. Any ideas?

Dolph

Could possibly be that the shifter is solid mounted as they will do that every now and then. Just need to loosen the attachment nuts and retighten. The cables "echo" from the transmission to the center tunnel since the shifter is solid mounted. Just a suggestion.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Could possibly be that the shifter is solid mounted as they will do that every now and then. Just need to loosen the attachment nuts and retighten. The cables "echo" from the transmission to the center tunnel since the shifter is solid mounted. Just a suggestion.

If that's the culprit and you have the short shifter and the rubber mounts were not used, they are optional, you could install those I suppose.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have the Ford short shifter and didn't install the rubber mounts, but don't have any whine either...

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
did the stock shifter have rubber mounts? can't remember..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
did the stock shifter have rubber mounts? can't remember..

Stock has rubber, the short throw has both options.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm about to install my short throw as soon as my boot comes in. Is there any particular reason(s) to use or not use the rubber mounts?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
most don't use the rubber, to get a more direct feel. I haven't noticed any vibration or noise using the solid mount. Like it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
And we NEVER use the solid mounts - always the rubber ones. I too think that the problem *could be* the solid mount where the shifter cable is acting like the string between two cups.... the way that telephones were when Ralphie was a lad. Anyway, it's easy enough to try to revert and see if it helps.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
most don't use the rubber, to get a more direct feel.

i will resist the urge to comment.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
..ribbed baby, all the way

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I think the solid mounts are the best part of the new shifter. I like the solid feel more than the shorter throws.

jannickz

Apr 8, 2024
I had a wheel bearing noise in my truck coming from the front. I thought it was the front, the wife the shop owner and the mechanic all thought it was coming from the front. After replacing front wheel bearings I am now replacing the rear. When we put the truck in the air and ran it up to 45+ it was obvious it was the right rear but in the cab it very much sounded like the front. Cabin noise can be very misleading. Good luck.
That's a frustrating experience you had with the wheel bearing noise. It's interesting how sounds can be deceptive in a car cabin. It's a good reminder that diagnosing car problems can be tricky and sometimes even multiple people can be fooled by where a noise seems to be coming from. Thanks for sharing this story, it might be helpful to someone else who is experiencing something similar!