Invite- Car and Air show - Thunder over Michigan - August 5, 2012

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
All FordGT ForumMembers are invited to attend the Thunder over Michigan Car and Air Show on August 5, 2012 at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti Michigan. The Shelby Club, Ford Motor Co Executive Alumni and the Air Show have invited us to display our Ford GT's and Ford Mustangs at this event. If you are interested, please contact John Logan at 'carmods@aol.com' and please cc: me at 'andybenedict@att.net'. I Plan to attend with my 2011 ShelbyGT500 Mustang..

We will have the opportunity to have photos with the Sixteen(16) P-51 Mustangs and our vehicles.
The aircraft will include two P-47D Thunderbolts, one of which is owned and flown by our GT Forum member 'WickedWabbit'. Other craft will include B-17, B-29Superfortress , B-25's and others. Thirty eight aircraft total..

If you would like to participate, our entrance fee will be waived and we will have a special car-show parking area.. We will have the opportunity to photo with the planes before and after the show.

Static displays (cars and aircraft) will occur between 9am and noon and the Full Air Show will occur between Noon and 4pm. I am told it is a very impressive air show/ battle.

If you want to attend you must plan for a full day. They ask that the show cars arrive before 8am, for 8:15photos in front of the P-51Mustangs, then park your car in the car show area and please do not remove the vehicle until after the show at 5:00 pm. At 5:00 pm we will have the opportunity for more photos. Off Airport property by 6:00 pm.

If interested , email JohnLogan and he will forward the necessary paperwork and maps etc..
I hope to see some of you there...!

Andy Benedict (AJB)

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Wow. This sounds like an amazing opportunity that will produce some excellent photos!

Wish I lived closer.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That's a Sunday? Nothing going on Saturday? I might consider Saturday.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Frank...the event is Saturday (Aug 4 ) and Sunday Aug 5th. But the car show day with the Ford Executive Alums and the Shelby Club is only on the Sunday. I realize it is a long drive for many folks but I wanted at least the 'close-in' people who own GT's and some like myself with a Mustang , to have the chance for the Photos with all the P-51 Mustang Fighters.
It will be a long day , but I am told the Airshow itself is spectacular. There is more info on the "Thunder over Michigan 2012" website. but no published schedule yet for Saturday..
AJB (andy)

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
I will be there in my P-51 "Worry Bird" weather and mechanical issues permitting.

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
Will the cars on display for the day be "roped off" to keep spectators from physically touching them?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
And when your tired of looking at Mustang after Mustang, drop by and have a visit with 2 of the 11 remaining P-47 Thunderbolts. :wink

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I will be there in my P-51 "Worry Bird" weather and mechanical issues permitting.

oops, yes, weather permitting, etc.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Air show

Sounds like a lot of fun. I plan to be there with my GT. (weather permitting):wink

Last edited:

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
What is John Logans e-mail address? Delete, sorry I've been in the Michigan sun all day and it's effected my reading skills.

Last edited:

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
Weather permitting means a few more things for an old fighter plane then our GT's. If it rains and we don't slow down below 200mph the paint can be stripped off of the front of the wing. Not sure if it does on the P-47 but it has happened to me before. Normal speed is 265mph indicated. Also this time of year the visibility can be low and we cover a lot of ground at a typical ground speed of 320mph.

Worry Bird is just getting out of new paint and not quite done yet, still up on jacks today so hopefully it will be done in time.

Anyone who makes it in their GT's please look me up at the show.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas

What a small world. I was able to sneak around "Worry Bird" in the hanger the other day with the owner of the Zero which is parked in there!Have a ton of questions haha

Awesome collection! Mike was a ton of help looking at my new purchase and helping get it closed with Courtesy. Can't wait to meet you either at an air event or a car one :biggrin

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
I am very glad I made this post... I did not realize we had FordGT's , Mustangs, P-51's and P-47's in the owners group !
They asked me to bring my 2011 ShelbyGT500 for the 'Mustang-theme'...per your requests:
John Logan is at carmods@aol.com
I am at:
andybenedict@att.net
I will surely attemp to look all of you up since it will be an all day affair...I sure hope the weather is great! andy (AJB)

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We come to Willow Run every year. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

2p47.jpg

this pic was taken at Willow Run in '05 I believe.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I will be there, weather permitting..

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Kurt - great --see you there..
andy (AJB)

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Met the red tail pilots for lunch a few weeks ago at Selfridge. It got the juices flowing again. I think they had every version of a "P" plane. Today a F18 buzzed my office and i spilled my coffee :). But i think he looked down and said is that a GT i see :)

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Andy,
I will be there by 8:00, sent you and John and email.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Kurt - yes - glad you can come over. I saw your email. I just got back from Pennsylvania last night.. I will be there at 7:15 am to help John with some logistics.
andy

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
It was a great day and a great show ! We had 3 FordGT's (2 of which will be coming to New Orleans - Kurt and Bill.) I had my Shelby Mustang along with 40 others and we were all able to have a photog take pictures of us with one of the P-51's.
John and Neil were there with P-47's WickedWabbit and HunHunter put on a fine display of flying....!

Looking forward to NewOrleans..

andy (AJB)