Investments: Classic Car Fund

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
http://www.theclassiccarfund.com/

was in WSJ, Bloomberg, FT, etc...informational / reading pleasure only.

STRATEGY

The Fund will, under normal circumstances, invest 20% - 100% of its assets in Classic Cars. Whereas, it is expected that on average about 70% of the Fund’s assets will be invested in Classic Cars, the weighting may be reduced to 0% if in the reasonable opinion of the Investment Manager.

In addition, some of the Classic Cars held in the portfolio of the Fund may be lent to museums, film studios, private exhibitions, etc. The income generated by such Lending Activities will only ever favour the Fund.

A particular focus will be laid on equities of the automotive industry and closely related industries including precious metals.

In addition, the Investment Manager may invest on an ancillary basis, in various assets, including derivatives and futures, which may be designed to minimize risk or for hedging purposes. The Fund may also have residual cash balances invested in deposits, money market instruments and shares or units in money market funds.

CLASSIC CAR

A car typically depreciates in value during the first fifteen years from its production date and may, under certain circumstances, increase in value thereafter. Accordingly, a classic car can generally be defined as:
A car which is at least 15 years old and is of particular (i) rarity, (ii) desirability and (iii) original value/provenence (“Classic Car”).

SELECTION PROCESS

The Investment Manager permanently screens realised sales prices for Classic Cars which periodically get reported by independent providers in order to assess overall market conditions for classic cars and recognise the formation of certain market trends.
The Investment Manager believes (i) the rarity, (ii) the desirability and (iii) the original value/provenence to be the key drivers for future value appreciation of a Classic Car. Based on these factors the Investment Manager tries to classify Classic Cars in five different categories:

The Investment Manager believes that especially Type I Classic Cars have the potential for future value appreciation.
Prior to acquiring a particular car, the Investment Managers conducts a thorough due diligence of that car, analysing inter alia factors such as its ownership history, optional equipment, engine details, replacements of original equipment, etc.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
http://www.theclassiccarfund.com/

STRATEGY

A particular focus will be laid on equities of the automotive industry and closely related industries including precious metals.

In addition, the Investment Manager may invest on an ancillary basis, in various assets, including derivatives and futures, which may be designed to minimize risk or for hedging purposes. The Fund may also have residual cash balances invested in deposits, money market instruments and shares or units in money market funds.

I'm not so sure the fund charter and its' 'name' are really properly aligned -- about "classic cars" per se -- given the "particular focus on equites of the auto industry, and closely related industries, including precious metals". Successful management of PGMS requires expertise that is a very unique skill set. One should expect to see volatility in the fund depending upon the weighting to PGMS.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Interesting that you would post this article, particularly since over the last few months there have been many, many posts and discussions here on the Forum about this subject.

And the concensus has been that investing in automobiles is generally considered to be a rather poor investment.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
It will be interesting to see how the fund performs given the liquidity constraints and the management fee and other costs the fund will absorb. I think there are MUCH better investments out there. I say this because I am in the markets everyday and run an investment firm so my perspective is a little different maybe than some others here on the forum.

The author in the Wall Street Journal Blog re this fund made a great point, what fun is investing in classic cars if you cant drive them!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Interesting that you would post this article, particularly since over the last few months there have been many, many posts and discussions here on the Forum about this subject.

And the concensus has been that investing in automobiles is generally considered to be a rather poor investment.

I'll wager that was exactly the 1st thought many had.

Who's the little CUTIE in your avatar???! (And I'm OBVIOUSLY referring to the 'little person' on the RIGHT, not to ogre on the left!!!)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'll wager that was exactly the 1st thought many had.

Who's the little CUTIE in your avatar???! (And I'm OBVIOUSLY referring to the 'little person' on the RIGHT, not to ogre on the left!!!)

She is my Granddaughter Bettie Rae Woolworth. 2/3/11.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
She is my Granddaughter Bettie Rae Woolworth. 2/3/11.

She's a definate 'keeper'!

('Hard to believe she'll be 18 years old 3 months from now, isn't it.)

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Congrats Jeff....she is beautiful.......

Gino