Interior paint bubbles

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Isn't the console cover made of Magnesium?

Yes, but it is painted silver. Bare magnesium corrodes quickly.

Maybe time for a Kip carbon upgrade?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Yes, but it is painted silver. Bare magnesium corrodes quickly.

Maybe time for a Kip carbon upgrade?

Bare Magnesium corrodes quickly. I believe this is exactly the problem. I have seen this with painted aluminum before. I would guess when the paint is removed that the metal is now pitted and was corroding before the paint was applied. It most likely got damp and was sitting for awhile before painting.

You could tell for sure by scraping a small area. If there is a white powder residue under the paint, you have corrosion. If the metal is smooth, you have an adhesion issue. But judging from the pics I am inclined to say corrosion.

I would warranty the Console. Do not have them try to re-paint it. I would also inspect the new console. If the new one was going to do the same thing it would likely have done it by now. This is clearly a MFG. defect.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
console bubbles

Just as a followup, I have been in touch with the GT service folks at FoMoCo and forwarded close-up pictures of the bubbles to them. At first, they insisted that a local dealer (Chiefland, Florida, pop. 1,236.......salute!) have their body shop repaint the console. Once I sent photos of the original console (apparantly, they had never seen one), they realized that all of the AC control symbols were engraved and painted into the magnesium and agreed to supply a new console. They then called said dealership and asked the body shop foreman if he could paint the console..........of course, he said hell, yes. When I followed up with the same pictures to him, he backpedalled immediately. So, at this point, I think that a console is en route to the dealer. My call if I want them to install the new one or hire someone else at my expense.......same with the recall axle bolts.
ama

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
The console is pretty easy to remove, you may want to consider doing it at home.

John

Remove the six skrews on the sub woofer panal ( if you have one)
Remove the electric cover plate in the pass. foot well
pull off both side trim pcs (velco)
pull up the trim piece around brake handle then remove the 8 skrews on the console lifting up at the rear to disconnect the A/C controls

(BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE FRONT OF THE CONSOLE around the radio)

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Sent you a pm back ama. Let me know if I can help.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
(BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE FRONT OF THE CONSOLE around the radio)

Yep!

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
I just noticed this post. It sure looks like corrosion, and if it's magnesium, you're basically screwed. I fought corrosion like this on airplanes, and, only with a very careful application of a chromic acid solution followed by an abracadabra might you get a reprieve from pre-existing corrosion. I would highly recommend a replacement console while it's available and/or possibly under warranty. This is only going to get worse IMHO.

Bummer.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
bubbles

Well, thanks to SFLGT, I have a new console on the way, hopefully for replacement next weekend. Once we get the old one out, we can assess exactly what is happening. Since I posted the photos, they have tripled in number and size.
ama

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
console bubbles

To put (hopefully) closure on my console bubbling problem, I trailered the GT six hours to see SFLGT at Sawgrass Ford. He and his service advisor had used my previous photos and ordered a new console and emergency brake bezel from FoMoCo.......and they (FMC) still needed some last minute coaxing to allow the claim on this 3.1 mile car as warranty. Despite a harrowing trip down (the trailer disconnected from my truck about on the Florida Turnpike about 10 miles from the dealership; fortunately, the cables held and I was able to rescue the rig without destroying anything or being hit), the experience was sterling. Mike rescued me with another receiver/ball, performed the console replacement and the "Output Shaft Flange Bolt and Washer Replacement" recall flawlessly as if he was working on his own car. The trip back was uneventful; the whole experience lasting about two days. Thanks again to the crew at Sawgrass.........and particularly to Mike.
ama

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Thanks for the kind words Miles and you are very welcome. I'm glad your trip home was not as eventful as the one down. That was a scary call I got when I heard you say the trailer had come off. I am so glad that you guys, and the car we're OK. It was my pleasure to take care of your car and the fact that you came all the way down to me just so I could work on your car is an honor. It was great to finally meet you and your wife in person and your beautiful GT. I hope there are no other problems with the car in the future, but if anything else comes up please don't hesitate to call me anytime and I will help with anything I can.
Mike

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
Well, here we are, 28 months later, and SFLGT just replaced my console for the second time.........same scenario; hundreds of small bubbles started appearing all over the console. This time FoMoCo has so far refused to warranty the console. Sawgrass Ford is still pursuing coverage and, hopefully, with the detailed pictures of the trashed console, they will relent and reimburse me. Again, many thanks to SFLGT....this time he made the trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Gainesville to perform the surgery and again, a flawless result.