Interior paint bubbles

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've notice a couple of bubbles where previously there were none. They can be pushed in, like a blister on the surface paint.

They're on the silvered central tunnel that houses the gear shift - up close to the black insert where your right arm would rest....

Not sure if this will get worse.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Had any frogs in your car? Maybe they're warts and will go away in 6 months.
Maybe you found the real reason for the big McIntosh subwoofer. I thought the entire console was aluminum, so it must be clearcoat that's bubbling. Maybe your paint shop friends can offer some advice.

Last edited:

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I have this problem all over my passengers side foot well, I mentioned it to the dealer 3 times so far and I think theyre waiting for me to forget about it...

They're starting to get BIG now, a few of them are almost dime sized...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Not had any frogs in the car... I do recall reading your original post abolfaz about your paint bubbling too.

I guess Roush can fix anything (hope so) so I guess I'll wait until it gets worse. My car (like most of yours I imagine) is kept in a warm (12 degree) low humididty (55% RH) environment, so it's not how it's stored.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
console paint bubbling

Is this a common problem? Mine started with some small linear bubbles around the shift lever and now is covering most of the console. My GT is stored in a garage.......non-air-conditioned and has gone through temperatures from 95F down to 30F.
ama

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I would say its not that common as I have had about 70 GTs now and have not had that problem on any. Maybe its caused from a certain cleaning solution that some of you are using???? Just a guess

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I was thinking that the bubbles near the gear shift may be caused by your hand, wrist, or arm always rubbing in the same spot when shifting. Causing a blister, similar to one that you would get on your skin. That would probably not explain abolfaz's bubbles in the footwell area though. Unless, those may be caused by small peices of gravel or something similar getting ground against the paint by your shoes, creating a small pinhole. Then, when it gets wet when cleaning, it would lift and create a bubble. I am only guessing since I have not seen this blistering thing yet.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I was thinking that the bubbles near the gear shift may be caused by your hand, wrist, or arm always rubbing in the same spot when shifting. Causing a blister, similar to one that you would get on your skin. That would probably not explain abolfaz's bubbles in the footwell area though. Unless, those may be caused by small peices of gravel or something similar getting ground against the paint by your shoes, creating a small pinhole. Then, when it gets wet when cleaning, it would lift and create a bubble. I am only guessing since I have not seen this blistering thing yet.
I am thinking that if there are blisters, it has to do with surface prep. If your hand or wrist was rubbing it, the paint would most likely just fade in that spot.

Are these by areas of heat? Possibly poor surface prep that is being shown once the area has gone through many heat-cool cycles. The fact that the area is circular and inconsistent leads me to believe something dripped on the surface beneath a coat of color or clear (Depending on what is bubbling) Maybe the surfaces were not completely removed of wax/grease before paint.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Can someone who is experiencing the bubbling post a photo?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I have this problem all over my passengers side foot well, I mentioned it to the dealer 3 times so far and I think theyre waiting for me to forget about it...

They're starting to get BIG now, a few of them are almost dime sized...

abolfaz, just wondering with all your problems and now this, could your car have possibly been in a flood without your knowledge?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
abolfaz, just wondering with all your problems and now this, could your car have possibly been in a flood without your knowledge?

I got my car brand new, so no flood damage! Also take into account that since the car had 100 miles there have been floor mats on the floor therefore no chance of someone rubbing against the paint. I noticed my bubbles when I got my car new.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Sounds like it time for some Carbon Fiber :wink

Honestly I would go to my dealer and demand that they fix it. It would be an obvious warranty issue. Easy money for them and it won't be under warranty forever :ack

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I haven't seen this problem yet. Would love to see a picture if someone could post one.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'll see if I can get out with the camera SFL, maybe over the weekend - I can then post some detail here.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
bubbles

well let me discount most of the theorys tendered since my last post......i.e. flood, hand/wrist rest discoloration, heat/cool cycles, etc. Mine is a delivery mileage only car sitting on tire cradles and has never seen the sunlight.

You are right about needing to be fixed under warranty, but my worry is that the fix could cause more problems than leaving the bubbles alone.

ama

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
This is no question a warranty covered problem.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
bubbles

again, this is a car with delivery mileage only, always garaged, but not temperature or humidity controlled. I took delivery in September of 2006. Console paint was perfect when delivered; this bubbling began about 6 months ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Attachments

• 100_1401.jpg
    100_1401.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_1402.jpg
    100_1402.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_1409.jpg
    100_1409.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 229

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Great photos..thanks. It looks like the substrate is 'degassing' and lifting the paint film. I will look at my GT in the garage tomorrow.
AJB

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Would like to hear from the ass-perts what is going on here..... :)
Not acceptable.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Isn't the console cover made of Magnesium?