Insurance cost and where????

hansonironworks

Feb 1, 2010
I am in the process of buying a GT and am about ready to pull the trigger and was wondering what insurance is going to cost and what company to get it from???

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's an open ended question. The 'bottom line answer' truely is you'll have to call around and find out for yourself 'cause the answer in your own specific situation will be different from that of others.

There have been a post/thread or two here on The 'Forum regarding that subject, and no one company has proven to be THEEEEE blanket answer for everybody as far as I know, hence the above comment. :cheers

Classic Auto Insurance is a sponsor here. They'd be a darn good place to start for a number of reasons - service and reliability being two of them.

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I wouldn't trust my GT insurance to anyone but Classic Auto Insurance!

They are a sponsor here and from experience, go above and beyond to protect your investment, are cost competitive and great people.

Call and ask for Michelle or Drew!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Depending on state State Farm seems to be able to offer $1200-1500 yr for <7500 mi

State Farm classic offer agreed value in certain states, not all, eg NY

Some people can get Hagerty or Grundy coverage for similar; while others get quoted double or triple

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I have usaa. they've always been good to me. can't recall the $ tho. I've got 5 cars the house umbrella etc through them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have usaa. they've always been good to me. can't recall the $ tho. I've got 5 cars the house umbrella etc through them.

Just FWIW, a friend of mine recommended I check out USAA...I did...they wanted about 40% more than I was already paying, which, given their supposed "armed forces connection", surprised me. But, again, "your results may vary".

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
21st Century 1k yr. <5k mi.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Because each state has its own insurance commission, it will vary from state-to-state - even though the same company may serve a number of states.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I wouldn't trust my GT insurance to anyone but Classic Auto Insurance!

They are a sponsor here and from experience, go above and beyond to protect your investment, are cost competitive and great people.

Call and ask for Michelle or Drew!

+1 - What he said - ask for Drew.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Here in Canada (BC) insurance is about $2500.00 yr , and as I dont drive the car very often I just put a storage policy on it and get full coverage 1 day permits when i take the car out , they cost $33.00 each , this may be an option if you diont drive the car a lot

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
I insure a couple of cars through Haggerty, and for some reason the quoted annual mileage allowed for the GT was about half what they allow for the my '64 Corvette. Conventional $250k/$250k with $500 deductible was quoted around $1200 per year for the GT through Allstate if I were to go that route.

H

HHGT

Allstate, $5000 deductible and replacement value. $800 per year

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for the endorsements Gents! Always more than happy to discuss rates with anyone on the Forum. Always glad to help on any insurance discussion even if we do not do business together.

As most have said, rates differ state to state, as well as other factors, but most of our quotes are in the 0-1000 deductible range for about $1300-1700 per year for Agreed Value. The higher you value your GT, the higher the premium.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Check out JD Power for their top five insurance co. ranking, you'll be surprised who comes on top (service and cost). I just went through that exercise becasue after adding my just turned 16 year old to my current AAA policy, I was hit hard, so I went hunting, found one that is better than my current insurance. (but then how would anyone really knows until you have to use them), and that's something no one like to do.

http://www.jdpower.com/insurance/ra...ovider-ratings/sortcolumn-1/descending/page-/

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
State Farm, $1k deductible, $700 per year

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Having a high deductible is the best way to save

Your self insuring, ex-catastrophe

Insurers do this with reinsurance

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Allstate, $5000 deductible and replacement value. $800 per year

Hmmm...is Allstate sub'ing this out for you? If not, I wonder if this changes from state to state?

I have all of my insurance, with exception to my collector cars, with Allstate. My agent said they wouldn't cover it with Allstate itself - and would sub it out.

I carry the Barrett Jackson insurance, which is brokered out, and I think is around $1,100 per year, 5k miles, stated value.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Just a heads up for USAA. I've been with then for 28 + years. They have been good with most things. A moving incident to a piece of furniture required going to the VP of sales to get coverage/repair. A recent claim for a snowmobile was handle well by the appraiser, though I did have to guide him on value( one appraiser covers our area for everything).
The company claim department in Texas took a while to validate his work. The appraiser notice my GT in the garage, and asked what I thought it was worth. He kind of raised his eyebrows and said I should call the claims department and ask what they think it's valued is. I asked for an agree'd value policy for the car and they stated they did not do them. Was refereed to a company they use for this type of policy. The guy didn't even know what a GT was.
Will probably talk with others this spring about an agree'd value policy.
I also have a number of thing insured and a house/property umbrella (which does not cover vehicles). The auto's in the garage are covered by their own policy and not the house's.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Just a heads up for USAA. I've been with then for 28 + years. They have been good with most things. A moving incident to a piece of furniture required going to the VP of sales to get coverage/repair. A recent claim for a snowmobile was handle well by the appraiser, though I did have to guide him on value( one appraiser covers our area for everything).
The company claim department in Texas took a while to validate his work. The appraiser notice my GT in the garage, and asked what I thought it was worth. He kind of raised his eyebrows and said I should call the claims department and ask what they think it's valued is. I asked for an agree'd value policy for the car and they stated they did not do them. Was refereed to a company they use for this type of policy. The guy didn't even know what a GT was.
Will probably talk with others this spring about an agree'd value policy.
I also have a number of thing insured and a house/property umbrella (which does not cover vehicles). The auto's in the garage are covered by their own policy and not the house's.

USAA does not write collector car policies in-house, but writes them though what as I recall they term a "specialty" company. The last time I talked to them they had changed whoever they were working with. I've been with USAA for 41 years with my homeowner's and regular car policies, but use a local broker to shop for other insurance needs; currently Hagarty for my collector cars and other insurers for my Freightliner and boat.

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Hmmm...is Allstate sub'ing this out for you? If not, I wonder if this changes from state to state?

I have all of my insurance, with exception to my collector cars, with Allstate. My agent said they wouldn't cover it with Allstate itself - and would sub it out.

I carry the Barrett Jackson insurance, which is brokered out, and I think is around $1,100 per year, 5k miles, stated value.

Realize you are replying to a different Allstate post, but my Allstate agent told me they sub-out the coverage if it is under the Collector Car category, but not when it is a conventional policy (in CA anyway).