Installed Whipple 4.0L - Shredded Belt at first Start-Up

DAVID

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2012
Just got done the install of a Whipple 4.0L, but we had some trouble with the belt

Some searching lead me to find that this issue has happened before. I talked to Shadowman on the phone and he said it has happened before.

This happen to anybody personally and care to share some more insight?

[video=youtube;WwzSv73pxO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzSv73pxO0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The blower was installed by 3 guys that all have extensive blower knowledge

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think you:

1. Have a pulley misalignment. There are laser alignment tools that will help.

or

2. Have belt-slap. Check your tensioners and then I think there is a conclusion either here or on the GT500 forums that the pulley can be grooved to avoid a "air bubble" induced slap event at the leading edge of the pulley.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
This just happened to me. Still waiting on the replacement belt before making another attempt. Only thing I could come up with as the problem was a misalignment. My plan this time around is to double check all pulleys and ensure everything is set properly. Just going to cross my fingers and hope I was right.

DAVID

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2012
Where are you getting your replacement belt from?

I drove 2 hours to a Napa to get the 12 rib version and are considering cutting it myself down to fit.

I tried calling Whipple for 5 hours but never got a in touch with the manager

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
Got two just in case. Cheap Goodyear one from Amazon for $30 and one from Whipple through ebay for $200. The cheap belt fits the pulley perfectly and is the right length. If it doesn't work I'll take the whipple belt to my tuner and give him a shot at it.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I bought a belt from Roush that comes from their pully upgrade kit. It was about $30 and is nicer than the Ford stock Belt for $45. It is almost the stock length so I don't know if it will work with your set up.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Beach,

How do you like the Roush pulley and tune? I'm getting ready to get a pulley/tune for mine.

DAVID

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2012
All fixed now...

Made 727rwhp with 19psi and 21* timing on a hot, muggy day

video by tonight

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
So what was the problem?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I used the Whipple pulley and local dyno tune. If I did it again I would use the Metco (SP?) pulley as it seems just a good for a lot less money. Fretting over .1 inch diameter is pointless now that I see the results.