Inspection of Takata replacement air bag installation

Has anyone seen this article? If you read down to the list of included vehicles, our GTs are included.
USA TODAY

Thousands of Ford owners may be driving a 'ticking time bomb' with flawed air bag repairs​

Phoebe Wall Howard, Detroit Free Press
Mon, February 26, 2024 at 2:46 AM PST·21 min read

Ford Motor Co. is in the midst of a five-year “recall of a recall,” reinspecting more than a quarter-million vehicles after the company discovered sloppy work and false billing by dealership technicians during the required replacement of dangerous Takata air bags."

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I watched while the techs did mine years ago. I don't have any concerns unless there is a questionable part.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
The local Ford dealer sent their tech to the house to do both GTs. I watched and they definitely did the work. I have the same question. Was there a problem with the inflator parts replaced?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The link is to an index page. Here's the article link

It's only for subscribers.

The vague description is that it's against workmanship not the part. If the replacement part was bad more than Ford would be affected and the press would be full of articles everywhere. This is the first hint of an issue with the updated parts. Virtually every Toyota was recalled yet I see nothing about Toyota recalling previously repaired cars.

Maybe someone can get the full article and post it. (Or a link to another source.)

However, I've not seen any indication of another recall. My old VIN doesn't show an open recall. If there was a recall against your VIN you'd have gotten a letter from Ford and it would show on the NHTSA recall site... If the replacement canisters were bad I'd probably have gotten a letter for my Dodge pickup.

I can attest to the fact that the handling of the recall was sloppy. The original owner of my car had connections and acquired the parts for his own mechanic to do the swaps. He turned in a list of VINs that included my car so when I went to get the recall done it showed as being done. It took many phone calls to get what happened straightened out and the repair backed out of Ford's records so that I could get it done with the proper chain of evidence. The mixup was a double edged sword. Mine didn't get the work done properly but one of his cars actually got it done but didn't get it cleared out in the NHTSA and Ford tracking systems.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ah ha! This article showed up about 30 minutes ago (after my post above) according to google search.

It too looks like it might be a subscription (some places let you view 3 articles...)

The search also says there is a real recall against Ranger Pickups for this problem. Lots of links. Apparently this was around for a while and just now getting new press. Search and read on your own...

Last edited:
I found the article in USA TODAY, this morning. I am not a subscriber and was able to read the entire thing. The issue has nothing to do with faulty parts, just faulty installations by Ford dealer mechanics.

Cheers!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That article is a total hack job of Ford bashing slanted leaning biased crap. It mentions Toyota and Honda in 5 words or less and they have the same issues as well. I'd guess the union staff of the "free press" are out for blood from the Glass Tower of Ford.

The communication's to repair and how were the real issue. Along with a few crooked thieves posing as technicians.