Inexpensive ZR1

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
A car geek kid that calls on my firm showed me this. I couldn't believe the price, <$64,000, probably because I haven't given them any consideration for years. Still, it's a lot of car for the $$ (but that interior is just awful!!).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...tr=true&hash=item463bddecba&item=301652110522

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I'm not a Corvette guy but sounds like a great car.

http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-first-drive-review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
The Zr1 is a great and very capable car. It's super quick and can be modded easily to get much more power, at very low cost. That said, for 15K more, you can get a brand new Z06 with full warranty and even more power. The new gen Z's are much more car than the previous gen Vettes...just sayin...

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I think it's a little high price wise- This is a mid $50K car.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"I think it's a little high price wise- This is a mid $50K car."

BTW, and I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound, but the first time I saw a ZR1 in the flesh was at a local car show. I parked my GT about 50 feet away from where the Vette owner had the new ZR1. Shortly thereafter, the crowds were surrounding the GT. The ZR1 may as well have been an economy car. 5 or 6 years later, the GTs are north of $300 large. The ZR1s appear to be $.50/dollar..

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would really be surprised if the prices continue to drop on the ZR1s .... I would love to hear your take on this?

To me, the ZR1 should - if any Corvette would have potential to keep value long term - be the one that could actually end up holding the value (if you buy now for around 60K)

What do you think?

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
The only two downsides to the ZR1 are, the interior craftsmanship and no exclusivity.
If you are OK with those, is has super car performance, reliability, track capability and excelent price of admission.
(Not my car, but beautiful picture).

IMG_0186.png
[/URL]

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I have a buddy who bought the initial (new version) 2008 ZR1 @ $25K over list thinking if GM went under he'd have a real collectible. Still a great car but too much depreciation potential in modern Fords and Corvettes as they keep making them better and faster every year. That being said, I wanted a new 2015 ZO6 until they announced the new mid engine "Zora" coming out in 2017(?). The GT500's got more horsepower almost every couple years too, which hurt the first earlier values.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I believe Zora will be something closer to the new NSX which means totally a different thing from the '09-'13 ZR1.
The ZR1 is appreciated by people who drive them, track them and enjoiy powerful analog cars.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
As an owner of both cars I can tell you this. I will not compare the two cars. They are both special in their own right. The GT makes an unbelievable car show platform but does not compare remotely with the ZR1 as an everyday driver. (Chime in Ralphie) :). The ZR1 has a fantastic ride to drive around town as fast as you want to go. I didn't buy either car as an investment as I tend to not get rid of things. So yeah...I think you are rubbing salt in the wound but I could care less. I'm enjoying the best of both worlds.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Guess I'll Chime In

Personally, I'd rather have a C4 ZR-1 (1990 - 1995) than the C6 version. I always appreciated the fact that Lotus designed a new engine to fit in place of the L98 V8 that was powering the standard C4. The result was what GM dubbed the LT5, an aluminum-block V-8 with the same bore centers as the L98, but with four overhead camshafts, 32 valves. Lotus also designed a unique air management system for the engine to provide a wider power band by shutting off 8 of the 16 intake runners and fuel injectors when the engine was at part-throttle, while still giving the ZR-1 375 hp (280 kW) when at wide open throttle.

In addition to the engine, Lotus helped GM design the ZR-1's (which in prototype version was called "King of the Hill") upgraded braking and steering systems and helped them pick the settings for the standard "FX3" adjustable active ride control that Chevrolet was fitting to the car, helping to ensure that the vehicle was more than just a modern-day muscle car with a big engine and no real capability on the track.

Last edited:

spineracer

GT Owner
Jan 5, 2014
Metro NY
I'll chime in too;
Lotus designed but built by Mercury Marine.