incredible flying skills

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
not sure if this vid is fake or not? but check out this vid :eek this pilot defys gravity :bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv_w3IrRYq0

Last edited:

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
not sure if this vid is fake or not? but check out this vid :eek this pilot defys gravity :bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv_w3IrRYq0

Fake... sorry to burst your bubble:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
An edited fake.

....a complete fake. I was one of the first people to fly the Giles 200 aerobatic aircraft (the same model shown in the video). It's a Lycoming AEI0-360 powered single seat all composite monoplane and the wing spar runs from wing tip to wing tip. The video was an edited compilation of footage from a remote control RC model airplane painted to resemble the full-size aircraft shown at the end of the video that was turned so that the missing wing (that wasn't missing from the full-size aircraft) wouldn't give it away. The composite wing spar of the Giles 200 has never had an in-flight failure and the little airplane is capable of pulling 11 G's in cold dense sea level air at 230 mph. The wing itself wouldn't break at 18+ G's during static testing. In-flight at the maximum speeds that plane is capable of flying the wing will high-speed stall long before it breaks. If it did break the full span spar would not break cleanly at the fuselage wing root and you would see a trail of push pull tubes, fuel lines, and electrical lines trailing from both the fuselage and wing itself. The most notable thing about the Giles 200 is its spectacular roll rate of 720° per second. It rolls so quickly and the aircraft is so unstable that it never achieved success as a competition aerobatic aircraft.

An RC model aircraft has 10 times the power to weight ratio of an actual full-size airplane and they can be flown with just one wing. I have seen the video of the RC pilot successfully landing this remote-control plane and he was justifiably proud of the accomplishment. Having personally wrung the wiz out of the real thing I can definitively state that while the G200 will sustain knife edge flight (barely) it would not be able to climb, pull out of the dive, or flair to land with only one wing. Cheers.

Chip

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
....a complete fake. I was one of the first people to fly the Giles 200 aerobatic aircraft (the same model shown in the video). It's a Lycoming AEI0-360 powered single seat all composite monoplane and the wing spar runs from wing tip to wing tip. The video was an edited compilation of footage from a remote control RC model airplane painted to resemble the full-size aircraft shown at the end of the video that was turned so that the missing wing (that wasn't missing from the full-size aircraft) wouldn't give it away. The composite wing spar of the Giles 200 has never had an in-flight failure and the little airplane is capable of pulling 11 G's in cold dense sea level air at 230 mph. The wing itself wouldn't break at 18+ G's during static testing. In-flight at the maximum speeds that plane is capable of flying the wing will high-speed stall long before it breaks. If it did break the full span spar would not break cleanly at the fuselage wing root and you would see a trail of push pull tubes, fuel lines, and electrical lines trailing from both the fuselage and wing itself. The most notable thing about the Giles 200 is its spectacular roll rate of 720° per second. It rolls so quickly and the aircraft is so unstable that it never achieved success as a competition aerobatic aircraft.

An RC model aircraft has 10 times the power to weight ratio of an actual full-size airplane and they can be flown with just one wing. I have seen the video of the RC pilot successfully landing this remote-control plane and he was justifiably proud of the accomplishment. Having personally wrung the wiz out of the real thing I can definitively state that while the G200 will sustain knife edge flight (barely) it would not be able to climb, pull out of the dive, or flair to land with only one wing. Cheers.

Chip

hey Chip, yesterday i met somebody here in La Cholla Airpark where i live down here in Tucson that has a Thunder Mustang with the Falconer engine in it. the airplane is just to cool. he built it himself and the craftmanship is just incredible. my neighbor used to own a L-39 and now has a Legend with the turbine in it. another pilot in the airpark has 2 Sukhoi aerobatic planes and another guy in the airpark has a Pitts stunt bi-plane. all of these guys are the greatest people, just like you.

when i saw this vid the first thing that popped into my mind was "RC plane". the end of the vid made me wonder though.

anyway, i hope to go to the red bull air races and the reno air races someday :cheers