In the market for an 06

TGX1

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2006
Metro Detroit
I am in the market to buy a 2006 (ideally Tungsten) and have found a large range in the "current" market price (a range in excess of $50,000). I see GT's ranging from $135k to $185k and I am in the market at the lower end of this range but not at the higher end. Can anyone provide some advice as to the "current value" of these vehicles, and if possible the best approach at getting into such a vehicle? Any advice would be appreciated, and I realize that most on this site have a GT and are therefore slightly biased on value, but the reality is that your advice is priceless to me, so please take a minute to help.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'06 Prices

TIM:
Input "GT prices" in the "search" engine of this site.
I remember seeing a VERY recent post on that very subject herein.

E.P.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
I think you should be looking to pay between $130,000 to $150,000 for a vehicle depending on spec and condition. I have been tracking the price of the vehicles for approximately two years, and many Dealers have been trying to charge too high a price for these vehicles hence why there are so many unsold. It appears to me that Dealers are now prepared to negotiate sensible prices for these vehicles, and the Dealers that do not, will be left holding the car in the New Year. I too, like you, am looking to buy, but I am not prepared to pay unrealistic prices for the car. I would not buy one off Ebay as the sellers are often getting their friends to bid falsely in an attempt to push prices up.

Hope you find one soon at the right price.

Ken275

Permanent Vacation
Oct 15, 2006
Washington
I know of a tungston car that the owner could not move until he sold it for about 143. It had all 4 options and 3000 miles. By next year I hope I can pick one up for 120-130

DTVV

GT Owner
Nov 7, 2006
I just purchased a 2006 directly from the original dealer - i.e., never titled, 36 (delivery miles), suburban Chicago location. Midnight Blue, Stripes, Standard Wheels, McIntosh Stereo, Red Calipers. Sticker just under $164,000 - got it for $155,000 earlier this month.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bought a new 06 at the end of Oct. #1749 Tungsten, 3 optins no mac $ 156K. 3.3mi ,plastic still on the seats.. Search auto trader...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Westside Ford - Firebaugh, Ca. - New Heritage at sticker
good luck.

GTeddy

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2006
dont pay sticker...

Got mine in Oct. for $160 vs. 167 Sticker. 1.7 miles. Comment above is correct - the dealer who ordered this thing in 2005 dreaming of getting $35k over sticker is ready to take his licks (especially in northern climates) rather than pay the finance cost to potentally carry the thing all winter. (most dealers pay floor planning finance costs based month end so they are more motivated at a months end to "book" a sale) My guy had the car since May and it was his "first and last". I'd be leary of any car with miles - I saw a car with 30 miles that had already required body work (dealer said it was shipping damage but who knows). Go to e-bay or magazine like autoweek to find cars and then call and negotiate a private deal - they never meet the reserve on the site anyway and are prepared to ship.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I think you should be looking to pay between $130,000 to $150,000 for a vehicle depending on spec and condition. I have been tracking the price of the vehicles for approximately two years, and many Dealers have been trying to charge too high a price for these vehicles hence why there are so many unsold. It appears to me that Dealers are now prepared to negotiate sensible prices for these vehicles, and the Dealers that do not, will be left holding the car in the New Year. I too, like you, am looking to buy, but I am not prepared to pay unrealistic prices for the car. I would not buy one off Ebay as the sellers are often getting their friends to bid falsely in an attempt to push prices up.

Where can you find an '06 for 130k? Or 140K...or 145k?

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Where can you find an '06 for 130k? Or 140K...or 145k?

You can't unless it has tremendous miles or damage. I talked to 7 or 8 dealers last week looking for a yellow '06 and had heck just finding a dealer who would come off sticker. Anything around $160K for a new car is the going price and will probably start going up as the supply dries up. Even buying a used one for $145K would just be dumb luck by being in the right place at the right time and it would only be from an individual, not a dealer.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
You can't unless it has tremendous miles or damage. I talked to 7 or 8 dealers last week looking for a yellow '06 and had heck just finding a dealer who would come off sticker. Anything around $160K for a new car is the going price and will probably start going up as the supply dries up. Even buying a used one for $145K would just be dumb luck by being in the right place at the right time and it would only be from an individual, not a dealer.

I agree. Thought I was missing something. I stay fairly tuned in to the market...and haven't seen pricing as described in some of the posts. Can't imagine an '06 with enough miles to bring it close to the 130's..or even 140 for that matter.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006

In the last couple of weeks, I have been offered two '06 cars, highly spec, with a couple thousand miles on the clock, in the low $140,000 mark. Unfortunately for me, they were both of the wrong colour that I require. I feel perhaps you have been speaking to the same Ford Dealers who last year were saying that these cars were worth $250,000. The true value of these cars will show up when you come to trade in to a Ford Dealer, as unfortunately some of your fellow members have already found out to their surprise. It is not a question of getting lucky, these cars are out there, and the unlucky ones will be the Ford Dealers still persisting on high prices.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Centerpunch sold his no option Blue car for $150k. If the dealer supply is tight, and I am sure the numbers posted on this site are very close, prices will be closer to msrp,...except for that smaller dealer in the snow belt watching his flooring costs... good luck on your search.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

The right price, is simply determined by what you, as an individual, is looking and able to pay. If you want a new one, as many of us did, the supply gets smaller each month, and in a couple of months should be gone.

For used, it is a matter of what condition you are willing to accept.

I don't how you arrived at your pricing range estimates, but if you want to find a mint condition 2006 at $130,000 or even $140,000, good luck, you will have to wait a while, as present market conditions do not support your prices. Or you will have to be willing to accept one with high mileage, mild abuse, or neglected condition.

Too high a price is one thing, but I do not see the basis for your low prices mentioned, particularly for a vehicle that most of us would consider worthy. $150,000 or thereabouts, used, now that is a possibility.

And one year ago, yes, dealers were asking over $200,000. And many were getting it. I'm not bitter - I just want you to be realistic. I paid under MSRP for a brand new, from a Ford dealer, 3.6 miles on the odometer, in the wrappers, semi-rare configuration FORD GT. A new car was important to me, so I paid what I felt was fair, what was the "right" price for me. I knew I would never be dissatisfied paying under MSRP.

Time will likely bring prices of used cars down, as time will also bring the condition of certain cars down also. But the new cars, they are a different ballgame. Some dealers are willing to take the risk. I am not sure how the pricing will turn out with the limited remaining brand new stock. But I didn't want to miss out, and never again have a chance to buy new.

Good luck. Be realistic or patient, and you will have the car of your dreams.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
In the last couple of weeks, I have been offered two '06 cars, highly spec, with a couple thousand miles on the clock, in the low $140,000 mark. Unfortunately for me, they were both of the wrong colour that I require. I feel perhaps you have been speaking to the same Ford Dealers who last year were saying that these cars were worth $250,000. The true value of these cars will show up when you come to trade in to a Ford Dealer, as unfortunately some of your fellow members have already found out to their surprise. It is not a question of getting lucky, these cars are out there, and the unlucky ones will be the Ford Dealers still persisting on high prices.

Since when is TRADE-IN at a dealership TRUE VALUE?

You'll know when you try to buy a car from a dealership for the same price someone traded the car in for. Which will be never.

No one should be surprised to receive below market for a trade in. How else does a dealer make money? Buy low, sell high. Not buy at market, sell at market.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Westside Ford - Firebaugh, Ca. - New Heritage at sticker
good luck.

Bony-

Happen to know if this car has a McIntosh?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony-

Happen to know if this car has a McIntosh?

No clue, call them and see if it is still available and post your findings here.:wink

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
2006 GT Pricing

Be realistic, why would a dealer who has a new GT with a MSRP of $166,195 sell it for $130-140 when his Net cost is 149.000 and there are no more being built? After all he's not in business for his health and he probabily has paid floor plan on this unit for some months at 1% over prime monthly. Be realistic members! A good buy in an automobile is when the seller is satisfied and the buyer is happy with what he paid!:wink The present market on a new 2006 surely is around 150-165. Tomy Hamon

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
Ford GT prices

I think some of you members should look closely when I said $130 to 150,000as I was including 2nd hand cars in this price region, and I am simply stating what offers have been made to myself for cars, and I am sure some of them are not neglected cars, as some of you would like to think so. I was offered 3 cars yesterday from a 2005 to a 2006 brand new fully loaded prices ranging from $147,000 to $154,000, and I wll probably be buying one of these 3 when I decide what colour I prefer.

cfra7

Feb 13, 2006
Rocklin, CA
I’m watching the eBay sales. The record low price is $140K for a 2005 (Yellow with 1K miles).

Please take this with a large grain of salt but in general a Ford GT should go down in value from MSRP by around $2 per mile driven. A GT with 6K miles would be worth around $12K below MSRP. Once again, this is a ruff estimate and not more than that.

If you can find a GT for $130K, buy it unless it has over 10K miles.