In operative odometer

testadave

GT Owner
Feb 9, 2012
Beaumont, TX
I replaced an inoperative fuel gauge on an 05 GT with a speedhut replacement. It was a lot of work to remove the dash panel. When re assembled the odometer is now inoperative. Is this common. I am afraid what will happen to the value of the car with a replacement. Are they available from Ford? Any ideas on what went wrong? Will crying help?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The odometer connector isn't keyed on some cars, could you have it reversed?

Last edited:

testadave

GT Owner
Feb 9, 2012
Beaumont, TX
I did not intentionally disconnect the odometer. I only disconnected the 2 canon plugs to remove the dash panel. Everything else works.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
So the connector was never touch and the odometer is still connected to the connector? Then I am a lost to why it stopped working. I haven't heard of any failures. I am sure you can order one from Torrie or a dealer.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Perhaps the odometer connector plug came un done during re installation.
No key or locking plug on that connection.
My OEM install had a daub of silicon on it. Was that common?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Check your speed sensor coming off of the transmission. If your speedo is working, then this is not likely the problem, but the odometer on the car gets its signal from the speed sensor attached to the side of the tranny. I have seen this part go bad before and cause the odometer and speedo not to function correctly. You will also eventually get a "check engine" warning light if this is your problem, but may take several miles before it comes on. Your mileage is stored in the Pollack box control unit that is under the dash. Replacing the actual odometer read out will not change what mileage the car actually shows, so if it is your actual display that is bad and needs to be replaced, it won't change the actual mileage that is displayed.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, more often than not.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes, more often than not.

Perhaps the odometer connector plug came un done during re installation.
No key or locking plug on that connection.

Probably to keep the connector from falling off. The most likely thing that is causing your problem.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mine had the glue, I left it attached to car's harness, during my gauge swap.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I had the same problem after replacing the gauge cluster. The problem is that the odometer wire connector (the harness end) plugs onto connector pins on the odometer module which are not captured in a connector and thus easily bent to the side during reassembly. Pull the cluster back out but only far enough to access the odometer connection and make the repair. Simple!

testadave

GT Owner
Feb 9, 2012
Beaumont, TX
Thank you for all your ideas, reassurance, and support. I hope to take the dash out again Saturday when I can tackle the project in daylight.

Rickymay

GT Owner
Sep 20, 2012
Katy, Texas
Does the odo light up? Mine is blank. Tested per the instructions in the repair manual, and it says it is the GCM is bad and to replace. Hopefully that's not the case for you.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Does the odo light up? Mine is blank. Tested per the instructions in the repair manual, and it says it is the GCM is bad and to replace. Hopefully that's not the case for you.

Isn't the GCM very pricey, like makes the gauges seem cheap. Never read about one failing until now.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Did this happen coincidentally with your gauge swap?

Ugh.

Rickymay

GT Owner
Sep 20, 2012
Katy, Texas
It is very pricey. I'll get it fixed at some point. Just going to enjoy driving in odometerless bliss.

Rickymay

GT Owner
Sep 20, 2012
Katy, Texas
Did this happen coincidentally with your gauge swap?

Ugh.

No, it's been that way since the previous owner tried to jump the battery, and fried 3 gauges as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
No, it's been that way since the previous owner tried to jump the battery, and fried 3 gauges as well.

Check with Torrie he probably can get you one for less $.

testadave

GT Owner
Feb 9, 2012
Beaumont, TX
Have everything apart,All connections appear tight,odometer display still blank. Anything else I should try or be thinking? Where should I try to get an odometer display? Do they go bad? Speedhut does not make a replacement.

testadave

GT Owner
Feb 9, 2012
Beaumont, TX
how do I contact Torrie?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
User name tcmcphail

Torrie R. McPhail