Importing a Canadian Built 2006 to the USA?

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am brand spanking new to the forum. Seems like a great place! My name is Joe and I am in the final stages of acquiring my 1st GT. I am negotiating with 2 owners at the moment. One car is in the US and the other is in Canada (hence the tread title).

I could use some expertise from people who know a lot more than me about these awesome cars. I have read that (some or all?) of the Canada export cars could -not- be imported back into the US. I find this hard to believe given that they were originally built in the US but perhaps this is true. The car in question is indeed one of the 277 Canadian cars (one of the first 100 exported during the "first wave"). Obviously its a 2006. Also from a value standpoint, would you say a Canada export car has a value advantage over a car built for the US? If so, by how much roughly? (Assume the cars are otherwise 100% identical -outside of McIntosh and bumper 'forced export' differences.)

Hoping you guys can give me the straight scoop on this.

Thanks again!

Joe

PS I have some more questions but I'm sure there will be time for that a bit later. :wink

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Others will chime in but yes you can import Canadian GT with correct paperwork. Getting accross US border will require letter from Ford stating complies with all US safety and emmissions standards. Other importing docs will also be required. Remember all Canadian GTs have no Mac stereo, added front and rear bumper reinforcement, gauge symbols, and other minor differences. Bottom line is stick with US model unless Canadian model too good to pass up IMO.

Last edited:

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks. Don't go Canadian because of the hassle factor or some other reason? By the way the import co I contacted said if it had the correct EPA sticker (which it does) and DOT sticker (driver door frame) it can be imported. I am waiting on an image from the owner re: DOT. No letter from Ford needed if I have both. Do you agree with that assessment?

I mentioned other questions I would have. So here is one of them. I see that almost all 2006s had the 'silver' inserts in the seats (but not all). Is there a VIN cutoff when this happened in 2006?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Another Forum-ite has survived importing a Canadian GT. REDEEMED will be happy to share his experiences.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Silver inserts are aftermarket items. No cars had them from factory.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
All Ford GTs are admisable for US use unless otherwise modified in an aftermarket fashion that would no longer make it US legal

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
That is correct. The GT I was going to import had emissions sticker but no DOT sticker and I had gotten letter from FORD stating compliant with all DOT regulations. Don't need importer if you do your homework. I was going to drive the GT across border and had talked with US customs supervisor to verify I had everything I needed. Once across border was then going to put on transport.

Last edited:

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks everyone. Very helpful info!