Importation question

silverstone04

Feb 1, 2024
Hello all , I have a question regarding to importation of my 2020 Ford GT to the USA ( Florida ) , please note it's a Canadian model 100% stock.
Would anyone know if the car would need modifications to meet US specs ?

Thanks in advance for your replies/help .

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It was built in the USA so there should not be any problems. There are some threads here on the Forum concerning this. Search function can be your friend.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I believe forum member @Kiteboarder Ken bought his NGT in Canada and brought to Florida, although I don't know whether it's a Canadian model. Hopefully this tag will get his attention.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's been done. A forum member in Canada sold their car to a guy in the Northeast and he had a couple hoops to jump through but nothing major. I will PM you.

Reactions: Sinovac

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It was built in the USA so there should not be any problems. There are some threads here on the Forum concerning this. Search function can be your friend.
Frank, Markham is not in the USA.

silverstone04

Feb 1, 2024
It's been done. A forum member in Canada sold their car to a guy in the Northeast and he had a couple hoops to jump through but nothing major. I will PM you.
Thank's , i appreciate the help !

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry Dave, I read it as 05/06..

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Why "import" it? You might able to keep it registered in Canada, and just drive it to Florida and back to Canada once in awhile.

Reactions: dshears

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
First – Canadians have no special privilege or right allowing them to keep their car in the United States for more then one year. If the Canadian car stays in the US for longer then the required time, the owner runs afoul of the US car treaty with Canada. The “US car police” can seize your car and sell it at auction or send it to be destroyed.

SecondIf your Canadian car is in the US for more then six month – your Canadian car insurance policy becomes null and void. In my opinion, this is a far more serious consequence then having your vehicle seized. If you vitiate the terms of your Canadian car insurance policy and you are involved in a car accident, your insurer can deny you coverage. This means you become personally responsible for all of the financial losses, damages, personal injury claims, lawyers bills etc.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Im considering buying a set of the optional wheels from a Canadian. Will there be any issues on the seller bringing them into the us?

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
For a 2005 GT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Should be no issue with the seller bringing them to you. HOWEVER, if you ship them with a carrier, they have to go through customs at the border and stay impounded until the import tax is paid. BTDT.

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Yes my 2020 is Canadian and I also live in Florida. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss my experience.