I'm not happy with my tune

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
After I send my SCT controller back to Accufab for a software update, my car now pings even under 3/4 throttle (went through two tanks of gas w/ NOS booster to make sure it is not bad gas). The car was dyno'd with conservative air/fuel ratio with the original tune, but boy, this new tune is unacceptable. While I'm waiting to take the car back to Accufab or have Muscle Motors re-tune the car, does anyone else have the same problem after an SCT reflash?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Muscle motors did an SCT tune on mine and it's purrrrrfect! Just have Muscle Motors do it right. Good luck.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
After I send my SCT controller back to Accufab for a software update, my car now pings even under 3/4 throttle (went through two tanks of gas w/ NOS booster to make sure it is not bad gas). The car was dyno'd with conservative air/fuel ratio with the original tune, but boy, this new tune is unacceptable. While I'm waiting to take the car back to Accufab or have Muscle Motors re-tune the car, does anyone else have the same problem after an SCT reflash?

Have you contacted John and discussed your issues? I would think he could even send you a new tune over the internet?

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ

NOS booster wouldn't do anything for you in the first place. Chances are your tune has too much timing for pump gas, whether you had good gas or not.

Get your car on a dyno and get a complete diagnostic breakdown/datalog after you get the new tune. I'd refrain from driving it until then unless you use a true octane additive like torco (which is concentrated race fuel) to offset the timing that is too high for pump gas on your current tune.

Last edited:

Tommy

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2006
I bought a SCT tuner from Accufab and it's great, Much faster and no pinging.

I curious why yours is pinging, keep us in the loop.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi HeritageBruce,
If you had Accufab do the actual tune on your car then I suggest you contact them to rectify the situation.

If you purchased an Accufab tune up via "mail" then I strongly recommend you go to a reputable tuner and have your car dyno tuned. When the car is on the dyno they can look at codes and find issues that may explain the reason for the poor performance. In this case I suggest your try someone near your area or have the car delivered to a shop that others here have had good results with. Many here (me included) have used Ida Automotive in NJ and have very good things to say about him. GForce recently posted positive things about Ida Automotive too (I believe his car there right now getting the larger Whipple put on).
Let us know how you make out.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Ditto, I can also vouch for the guys at IDA autiomotive. Bob is a terrific guy to work with. PD :thumbsup

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Accufab is local to me and John at Accufab verified the tune on West Tech's dyno after the initial tune, I even ran the car at the drag strip of California Speedway with no problems. Then Accufab had an update of the software on the SCT, so I gave them the SCT controller and ever since I reload the new tune, the car started pinging.
As to the octane booster, the NOS formular is what Accufab recommends, the bottles says it will raise the octance number by 5 to 6 whole points (not 100th of a point), and they cost about twice as much as the regular octane boosters from other companies, and I had no problem with them before the reflash.
The only way to get it right is to get the car back on the dyno with both 93 and 100 octane gas.
So no one out there had reflashes from Accufab?

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
HeritageBruce:

Yes, I had Accufab do an SCT flash tune on my GT (stock + Accufab exhaust) and I can't say enough good things about it. Everything is better.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce,

The fix is to tune the car on the dyno. That way, everything will be right for your car and for the gas & driving style you want to have. One size fits all will get you in the ballpark but is not the right solution for the fine tuning.

Larry is the tuning genious over at Muscle Motors. A LOT of experience with GT's and heavily modified Ford vehicles. Add to this expertise Jack's demeanor for running the business and I know you won't be let down. Make an appointment and be over it. My $.02.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bruce,

The fix is to tune the car on the dyno. That way, everything will be right for your car and for the gas & driving style you want to have. One size fits all will get you in the ballpark but is not the right solution for the fine tuning.

Larry is the tuning genious over at Muscle Motors. A LOT of experience with GT's and heavily modified Ford vehicles. Add to this expertise Jack's demeanor for running the business and I know you won't be let down. Make an appointment and be over it. My $.02.

Kendall,....
Should Bruce give John at Accufab a chance to re-tune the GT?
Seems like that would be the only fair way to resolve the issue.

Bruce,...
have you spoken to John before starting this thread?
I have found him the be very responsive, he even called me a couple of weeks after I installed my exhaust to make sure I was happy...
Cheers,
daniel

Aug 25, 2006
I too suggest a chat with John as I have enjoyed my dealings with him and feel that he wants only the best for those that purchase his products and services.

I for one present a heartfelt "Thumbs Up" to John and his team at AccuFab.

All the best

Shadowman

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
There are many different ways to resolve an issue, but I think I remember Accufab saying that if somebody didn't like their exhaust that they could get their money back. Doesn't sound to me like a business that just wants to sell a product and then forget about the buyer.

I don't know about you, but very few high perf mods that I do to any of my cars usually go perfectly. I have learned to work through the issues with people who are in it for the long haul and are willing to spend their time and effort to figure out a reasonable solution.

The first thing to do is to call the company that sold you the product.

CALL ACCUFAB!!!!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall,....
Should Bruce give John at Accufab a chance to re-tune the GT?
Seems like that would be the only fair way to resolve the issue.

I didn't intend any disrespect at all toward John at Accufab. I have spoken to him on the phone and he seems a fine gentleman and he certainly seems like he has a fine following which I assume is quite deserved.

Daniel - in answer to your question of "should Bruce give John a chance...", I suppose that this may be the most economical alternative, but I don't think Bruce "owes" or is obligated to John. It sounds to me like Bruce is simply wanting to get the car "fixed". I know that the guys at Muscle can do it... and I actaully even asked them a few weeks ago if they would after I rode in Bruce's car and experienced first hand some of the "anomolies".

I know the guys at Muscle personally and can vouch for their abilities. It doesn't mean that they are better or more capable than Accufab. Bruce "asked" for input.... my input is that I'd take it to Muscle and have it fixed. Done. Easy. Next. I also wouldn't harbor ANY ill-feelings at all toward John. As 'cuda (man, I love that abbreviation) points out, we're dealing with the high performance aftermarket and "chit happens".

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
These situations are always very simple. Your tuner created the tune and uploaded it to your flasher. If you have questions or concerns consult your tuner.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
These situations are always very simple. Your tuner created the tune and uploaded it to your flasher. If you have questions or concerns consult your tuner.

Maybe easier said than done after comments about John.

Dave

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I was not trying to speak for any one person or organzation. I know how I deal with my customers and would much rather be approached directly in regards to an issue so I can solve it then have them ask a forum for help.

That's all.

Maybe easier said than done after comments about John.

Dave

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. :bow I'm most interested in finding out whether people who have their SCT tuners got their tunes messed up after a reflash. I'm speaking to both John at Accufab and Jack at Muscle Motors, they have both done work on my GT. FWIW, Muscle Motors has the dyno in-house so I'd assume they would be the better choice when it comes to tuning the SCT. Accufab is the company that make the throttle body, intake sleeve and Xpipe so they should know what they are doing when it comes to tuning the GT's engine also. What Accufab sells is a generic tune with a 93 and a 100 octane program. Initially they didn't cause the engine to detonate. Just a side note on the 100 tune which I didn't notice any increase in HP, that's only after three tanks worth of driving with race gas so my seat of the pants impression is by no means scientific. I did plan on doing some more track testing on Irwindale Speedway's 1/8 track as it is very close to me, but now that the engine is not coorporating, I'll have to wait until that's fixed before testing out the real world difference between the 93 and 100 tunes. More to come....

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would definitely have it rectified by Accufab. It's not like they are new to the game and they are one of the premier nationally recognized mod motor suppliers/tuners. I'm sure whatever is causing the pinging with the software update can be fixed by them.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
SCT's flasher are nothing more then that a flash device. Who ever you purchased it from creates the tune. They then upload it to the flasher and ship it to you. When you go thru the process it reflashes your vehicle with the file they created. If they are not competent you will most likely have problems. If you have problems let them know so they can take the steps to solve it. If they can't do what you need them to go elsewhere.

I always advise anyone interested in this to take the time out and ask questions. Find a tuner you trust and stick with them.