Illegals in USA obtaining Drivers Licenses

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Illegal immigrants obtaining Drivers licenses in New York State has been big in the news recently. I heard that Michigan is one of 8 states that already allows it and has for some time. I sent an email to the Michigan Secretary of State and got a detailed reply back that it is indeed true..ILLEGALS CAN GET A MICHIGAN LICENSE>>...Surprised me since to get into Canada all you need is a Michigan Drivers license....What happens if one of them hits my GT????
Just thinking out loud..
AJB

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ok Andy!
Need a new Michigan DL in the name of Jose Agusto Bony... Captain of the Rio Grande Swim team. Thank you amigo :)

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
can someone please explain to me where issuing legal Identification documents to nationals of another country helps us with OUR national security?

Maybe I am just dense ........ :bored

rgates

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2006
The Big Easy

The reason our so called leaders want drivers license for all the illegals is, Motor Voter all you need is a drivers license to register to vote, can you imagine a large part of the 12 million illegals voting for free health care for all, well, that is if you have a drivers license of course, and while we are at it, lets open the southern border so our families can get free health care too, oh, I almost forgot, it is!

Or maybe it’s so you will have a driver’s license number to write down, when you exchange info after you are rear ended in your GT, by one of these people, I’m sure went through drivers ed and training.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Bony - I applied for you. All I needed to do was check the box that asked:

ARE YOU ILLEGAL? YES or NO
I checked YES

The note came back that you will have your license in 10-14 days. It did say that you had to add your signature and a picture of yourself with your eyes visible to the space provided on the license. They also recommended that you laminate it at home with the Self adhesive laminate so that the signature, your Picture and the Seal of the State of Michigan was protected.

I originally checked the wrong box and said NO (that you were not ILLEGAL) but then it asked me a whole lot of detailed questions about your drivers test, where you lived, your age etc...too difficult to get one that way.
Enjoy California.
Andy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This war is already over. Nobody is going to get serious about illegal immigration because illegal immigrants can hit the polls. Maddening...

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Simple answer, No.

Driver licenses is a federal privilege and illegal aliens should not be able to receive them. But even without them its not like they won't drive.

I don't get why the democrats have such a hard time with that question.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Not a federal privilege, granted by each state individually, and you're not supposed to have licenses in more than one state.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Not legal? No Mexican driver's license for you

By Chris Hawley, USA TODAY
MEXICO CITY — The question of whether to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants has ignited a national debate in the United States.
Yet in Mexico, the biggest source of immigrants to the USA, there's no debate: If you're not in the country legally, you can't get a driver's license.

All of Mexico's 31 states, along with the federal district of Mexico City, require foreigners to present a valid visa if they want a driver's license, according to a survey of states by USA TODAY.

"When it comes to foreigners, we're a little more strict here," said Alejandro Ruíz, director of education at the Mexican Automobile Association.

The issue took the national spotlight after presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton said a move by the New York governor to give licenses to illegal immigrants "makes a lot of sense" during a debate.

Proponents said the plan would have made the roads safer by ensuring that drivers are trained and insured, but the ensuing public outcry forced Gov. Eliot Spitzer to abandon the effort this week. U.S. Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., filed a bill Wednesday that would bar states from any future attempts to give licenses to illegal immigrants.

Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington allow drivers to get licenses without proving they are legal residents, according to the National Immigration Law Center. Most other states require applicants to prove they are citizens or legal residents.

In Mexico, by contrast, the policy is similar across the country and often strictly enforced.

"The fact that all 31 states in Mexico would have such a common-sense position … shows to me a certain hypocrisy on the part of the Mexican government, because they are constantly criticizing those of us in Congress who want immigration laws to be tougher up here," King said.

Licensing offices in all of Mexico's 31 states, along with the Federal District, where Mexico City lies, said they require applicants to prove their citizenship, preferably by showing a voter registration card issued by the Federal Elections Institute.

(Foreign tourists who are in Mexico temporarily can drive using their foreign licenses, the states said. Most U.S. states have a similar exemption for visitors.)

Mexican officials said rules are strictly enforced, especially in southern states that have a problem with illegal immigrants from Central America.

"Last week a man came here (with a tourist visa) and said he was working as a deliveryman," said Denia Gurgua, manager of the drivers' license office in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, the capital of Chiapas state. She said she denied him a license because he did not have a visa to work in Mexico.

"Our constitution has certain restrictions for foreigners," she said.

U.S. proponents of tougher restrictions worry that having a drivers' license helps legitimize illegal immigrants, making it harder to detect and remove them.

But immigrant advocates say the two countries don't compare. U.S. states are trying to protect other motorists from millions of illegal immigrants who are already driving, said Tyler Moran, an expert on drivers' licenses at the National Immigration Law Center.

There are an estimated 11.5 million undocumented people living in the USA. Mexico's pool of foreign residents is much smaller — about 500,000 people in a country of 105 million, census figures show.

"It may be a bit like comparing apples and oranges," Moran said. U.S. states "are dealing in reality, and it's better public policy to have people actually have licenses, have identification, have insurance."

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
can someone please explain to me where issuing legal Identification documents to nationals of another country helps us with OUR national security?

Maybe I am just dense ........ :bored

Ah! Come on, Steve! Where's your 'compasion'...your 'understanding' ..your 'tolerance'...your appreciation of/for 'diversity'?

As for the explanation you seek: you'll have to consult a "lib". They're the only ones capable of "spinning" an answer for you on that one.

H

HHGT

I just spent 2 weeks in Cabo San Jose - They now have Walmart, Costco & Home Depot. I drove to the Home Depot and saw a bunch of Gringos loitering and pestering to get daily labor work.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I just spent 2 weeks in Cabo San Jose - They now have Walmart, Costco & Home Depot. I drove to the Home Depot and saw a bunch of Gringos loitering and pestering to get daily labor work.

LOL!!!!! :lol