Ida Exhaust Recieved

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
Just received my exhaust from Bob. The piece looks very well constructed and sexy (all those curves, you know... my wife worries about me!!). I plan to install it over the next two days. I'll post pictures and try to post a before and after video for a sound comparison. :biggrin

Larry

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You the man, Larry! I'm expecting to do mine within a couple of weeks so your feedback/photos will be very beneficial! Can you post a couple of pics of the exhaust now (before the install). I'd like to have a better idea of what it looks like. Thanks.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
nota4re said:
You the man, Larry! I'm expecting to do mine within a couple of weeks so your feedback/photos will be very beneficial! Can you post a couple of pics of the exhaust now (before the install). I'd like to have a better idea of what it looks like. Thanks.

I'll try to post a picture tonight unless I get all consumed with the install. These tasks have an addictive potential. :wink I will be sure to include a picture of the unit prior to installing it.

Larry

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Dyno b4 and after?

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Silverbullitt said:
Dyno b4 and after?

Would be a great idea, but I reside in the U.P. of Michigan and the closest chassis dyno that I'm aware of is 600 miles away.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
One of the mags.My gt will be in.

Bob drove up to cape cod mass, monday and picked it up.He will do the exhust,chip pulley remapp of fuel and open all air ducts he needs.He said one of the magazines wants to do a story on the build up.Cant wait to here and drive it.Ive always been a viper guy,still have two with lots of mods.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gforce

You will love it

dave

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
PRDATR said:
Just received my exhaust from Bob. The piece looks very well constructed and sexy (all those curves, you know... my wife worries about me

Larry

it's not just your wife......we're worried too!!

those are not curves they're TUBES! :rofl

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks satx, now she has outside confirmation :frown

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
centerpunch said:
How can they sell an expensive exhaust system without any real photos that show what the purchaser is buying? Inquiring minds want to know!

CP
There have been pictures posted on the Forum and there are pictures posted on their website (www.idaautomotive.com). If you exopect them or any other vendor to show the internals and r/d data I feel that is unreasonable.

Unlike some others Bob Ida shows what you get and provides dyno information especially A/F ratio information and will answer questions.

Dave

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Dave,

C'mon now, that's not fair. There's a single very small pic of the exhaust and you can see maybe 20% of what it is comprised of. There's one add'l picture of the tips that also doesn't show much. It IS very difficult to get an idea of fit and construction. The same is true of the dyno charts. They are too small to be of much use. Also, I don't believe the muffler dyno sheet has any A/F data - choosing alternatively to plot inlet temperatures.

In summary, for a $2600 exhaust component, the website is severly lacking. Bob would sell a lot more of these (IMO) if he spent some time to improve the site - although it sounds like business is booming, including my order earlier this week.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
nota4re said:
Dave,

C'mon now, that's not fair. There's a single very small pic of the exhaust and you can see maybe 20% of what it is comprised of. There's one add'l picture of the tips that also doesn't show much. It IS very difficult to get an idea of fit and construction. The same is true of the dyno charts. They are too small to be of much use. Also, I don't believe the muffler dyno sheet has any A/F data - choosing alternatively to plot inlet temperatures.

In summary, for a $2600 exhaust component, the website is severly lacking. Bob would sell a lot more of these (IMO) if he spent some time to improve the site - although it sounds like business is booming, including my order earlier this week.

I think that any vendor who spends their money and time developing something doesn't want to see it ripped off by others. So there is a fine line between not enough information and too much.

Since Bob provides reams of data including dyno sheets if called, I stand by my comments which I feel are fair. There were also pictures posted of the exhaust and air in-take stiffner by a customer/forum member. He also has the ability to track over 200 different performance parameters. Unlike some vendors he actually has the parts and other mods available for purchase.

Regards,
Dave

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
While I am sure that the exhaust is of very high quality and craftsmanship, and that Ida has an outstanding reputation, my past experience has led me to believe that vendors that are worried about having designs 'ripped off' are the ones that are significantly overcharging for their products; meaning that if they are selling a product for $x, and you can make it for <1/4 of $x, then it will be copied, but if it is priced right, no one will re-invent the wheel (too much time and resources required for limited upside).

Personally, having been in the tuning business I can tell you that this is the may be the most expensive piece of exhaust I have seen given the complexity and quantity/tpe of materials. Unless I am missing something major (again they show no detailed pics), I stand by this. With more detailed pics, perhaps my opinion will change. The pipes can't be more than a few feet long, and baffles can be welded in the inlet or outlet quite easily and cheaply.

Rumor on the street is that another muffler delete system will be offered VERY shortly for probably $500-$800 which is in line with the materials, etc..

Given the fact that a complete exhaust system (headers, better designed collectors, muffler delete) makes little to no extra power, I don't think a muffler replacement will add any power either. Personally, I think the weight savings and airflow are the main benefits, but I would be very surprised if a back to back test was done if the mufflers make any more power. My assumption is that, sitting on a dyno there is considerable heat soak and heat buildup in the engine compartment. This will affect power on a dyno. If you remove the muffler, let the car cool, put in new pipes and dyno again it is very possible you will see a power improvement. On the street (real world) is another story entirely.

Just my $.02

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I should have mine back today from Champion Ford. I went by this morning and looked at the 60 # monster stock muffler and picked it up. My god, how did they design such a thing and why? The cats are right below it and now I see where a ton of heat is coming from . I talked to Bob and since he tuned the piece with the cats in place, it will not work if you deleted the cats...and probably would be extremely loud ! I can not wait until this afternoon. Did any of you guys order the airfoil ? It is amazing simple for $450.00 !!!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
KOSUPPLY:

Please explain air foil.

- doc

lthlvpr:

I concur. The GT-tax is very high. A good example is the chrome license plate. The same plate is made for the Viper by the same people (Augusta, GA) and yet the charge is markedly high. The same holds true for most of the little mods that one can purchase for the GT.

Besides competition is very American, and if someone can make a GT item of comparable quality and sell it for less, then they have simply participated in our economic system.

Last edited:

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Goes inside the boot between the air box and the supercharger...keeps boot from collapsing under full boost restricting airflow

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
KOSupply:

I suspected that this was the item to which you were referring.

Never knew the official term for it.

Is it truly that difficult to design/create/implement?

- doc

Last edited:

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I have purchased many parts in the past for Lamborghinis and Ferraris, and this crowd is not the 'modified' type (not a huge market in the US), yet the exhaust systems etc.. cost less and were more complex, and expensive to build. Not to mention, some of them were made of titanium which is significantly more expensive than stainless 304 tubing.

Do I agree that the price should be higher due to limited production? Absolutley...you have to recoupe your costs. There is a limit though, and once surpass it, you leave yourself open to competition. It's just a matter of time, but once a sub $1000 replacement muffler becomes available, I doubt many will pay an extra $1500 for essentially the same type of solution.

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
No pics yet?????
Come on boys - start posting...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005