IDA exhaust installed

David Gencay

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Just wanted to let you guys know i just received my exhaust and with the help of my wife took off the belly pan took about 15 min then went ahead and removed the rear bumper thought i needed to another 20 min then went ahead and removed the bottom panel with all the holes in it another 30 min then took off the stock exhaust bracket and 6 bolts 3 on each side the ones that connect the muffler to the cats another 30 min then the hard part was not about to remove the clam shell because i was told didnt have to the big 60 pound exhaust just woul not come out . I also removed the air breather assembly 5 min let me have lots of room but i didnt want to scratch anything guys it barely would not come out on the pass side the bottom pass side turndown pipe just would not clear the transmission at the bottom . So what did i do what else call Jay as always willing to tal;k no matter what he is doing talked him in to letting me as dumb as it sounds let my tool and die maker father in law take a small dremal tool and drop factory exhaust back in to place and cut it at the very top where the passenger side pipe fits into the 60 pound box right at the weld cut it in 10 min no mess sparks or anything box lifted right out . Bobs exhaust fit right in perfect did not lossen cats everything bolted right up i actually told Bob because you guys on the board told me i could request my exhaust to be alittle louder than normal he said no problem Dave i think i know what you want anyway all back together even got my father in law to reweld pipe back on factory exhaust never could tell it was off packed it all up to keep it with car and put it away. Drove it tonight at idle louder than stock rev it up wow at first i thought oh no its going to be to loud no going down the road wow what a sound just what i wanted temp didnt get over 180 degree in traffic with ac blasting and no check engine light ever came on thanks to all of you for all your input and thanks to Bob Ida and for sure thanks to Jay analoger one question for you guys someone posted they ordered those hight dollar i think oil and trans cooler and antifreeze cooler cap he said they dont make one of them no more i also odered those one of mine came in i think the 2 caps fit the same thing am i wrong thanks Dave

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
My eyes are bleeding.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got the gist of the install, I think. I'm waiting for my Ida exhaust to arrive any day now. Gonna get it installed along with the tranny cooler, and also change the engine oil at the same time. Hopefully, I can address my tranny vent leakage at the same time also. I've ordered some BMW series 3 lift pucks. They are $11 X 4, and with a dremel, I'll modify them to fit the lift point holes so that I can get the car up on a 2 post lift. The front holes are 3/4" round while the rear holes are 1"X13/16" oval. That should work nicely. Can't wait to hear what the car sounds like with the new pipes.
Have any of you guys disassembled the half shafts to look at the two bolts that have either backed out or broken? I'm considering having my mechanic do that also while the car is in for the rest of the work. Do I need a whole new set of bolts, etc? My car has 1500 miles on it without any problems (early '05, VIN 421). Thanks,

Dr. C

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
David - Thanks for the write up and please remember, Punctuation is our friend. :wink

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Muffler removal.

All you have to do to get the muffler out in one piece is lower the transaxle with a floor jack after removing the hanger bolt. It is very easy to take out and slip back in. The extra inch allows the muffler to clear the shift arm on the passenger side. You can leave the clam shell on. You can even leave the bumber on. :wink

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Easy Muffler Removal

When I Removed My Stock Muffler I Simply Took Off All Of The Necessary Panels And Bumper And Cut Off The Stock Exhaust Tips Off With A Sawsall. The Stock Muffler Would Then Lift Out The Top With No Clearance Problems!