I was lied to and deceived at a Toyota dealership:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you are really motivated, see if you can rent a little Ad Space on a nearby building or sign. Put some signage that says "Toyota Stealership - Are they are about to Con You Too?" Then call the local press and see if they are interested? It will be cheaper than a lawyer (and more fun). Plus, sense you don't have to deal with an attorney, you wont get lied to, and conned any more.

Sense you already got the "buy American" speech from GTJoey, I'll spare you my version.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If you are really motivated, see if you can rent a little Ad Space on a nearby building or sign. Put some signage that says "Toyota Stealership - Are they are about to Con You Too?" Then call the local press and see if they are interested? It will be cheaper than a lawyer (and more fun). Plus, sense you don't have to deal with an attorney, you wont get lied to, and conned any more.

Sense you already got the "buy American" speech from GTJoey, I'll spare you my version.

If you do this you will almost assuredly be dealing with lawyers-- first theirs, then yours.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I'd have to agree that in the end you got lucky not doing business with the dealership. A while back I got the shaft from Jesel. Every time I cost them a sale, I get satisfaction knowing that in the end, what they got from me has cost them so much more down the road. If you are a reputable person, people will value your input in their buying decisions.

Steve

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Right On Shelby, Go on down the road. You can hurt the dealership with "word Of Mouth" a lot more than the $28,000 you were willing to pay for their automobile. Spread your story. Be glad you didn't deal with them after the sale. Dealings such as that spread fast in the general public. Tomy Hamon

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My Friend....ditch Toyota, look at a Ford Motor Company - Ford or Lincoln product, and I will get you a "Friends and Family" Ford Motor Company Discount..
Just let me know...
andy AJB

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Recently leased a 2011 Lincoln MKS for my wife and love it. Only way to go---FORD and watch my stock go up. Tomy PS I'll never get to drive it!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You were once a Sales Guy. An honorable one I am sure.

Never, I don't lie too well! I did manage a sales force and had to fire someone that was unethical in his sales practices.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, ha, ha. Go back to fixing teeth and be happy.
How many of us might have been screwed while trying to buy a GT. One lawyer in Belleville had a writen contract with a St. Louis dealer to buy a GT. Car came in , they screwed him. He sued, he lost. Be happy and look elsewhere, especially if you've done business there before. Just take your business elsewhere. Perhaps Nardo can find you what you want at a price you like.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
How many of us might have been screwed while trying to buy a GT.

Bony had a good story on how a Ford dealer back out of the deal, he took them to Fed court and won the case. Bony had a blk/wht on order, but during the trial the judge ask Bony why he didn't buy a wht/blu. Bony took the judge's advice and bought a wht/blu, when the dealer finally delivered on his deal Bony had a blk/wht too. He sold the blk/wht.

Of course Bony tells the story much better than I.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Take out some advertisement in the local paper and tell your story along with a picture of the new used car you bought from the dealership across town, while bragging as to how great their customer service was :) :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Take out some advertisement in the local paper and tell your story along with a picture of the new used car you bought from the dealership across town, while bragging as to how great their customer service was :) :thumbsup

Be careful, would that be libel or slander?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you do this you will almost assuredly be dealing with lawyers-- first theirs, then yours.

Be careful, would that be libel or slander?

Only if it's not true.

You know my motto... "first class or no class but never second class (unless my card gets rejected... then it's second class all the way)" My previous post would have been the no class option but very effective. If you want to take the high ground, do what everybody else said.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Never confuse truth and justice with law and reality, seldom are they the same!

Someone should put this on a fortune cookie. :lol

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Years ago I bought one of the first Saturns when they first came out. The dealer gave me the run around re. a vibration in the engine - bad design. I got some paint and literally wrote on the back of the window: Saturn has horrible service - I did not write the dealership's name. I took a picture and sent it to the dealer/owner with a letter explaining my frustration and that I drove by their Auto Complex daily and that this was my last attempt. I also advised him that I will be sending this to Saturn Head Quarters. Within 1 week I got a call asking me to come and meet with the owner. He asked what he could do and I told him the next years model had resolved the issue. He traded the car in the same day and charged me $500 for 9 months worth of usage and paid for the sales tax and license out of pocket.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Never confuse truth and justice with law and reality, seldom are they the same!

Someone should put this on a fortune cookie. :lol

Good point... as it turns out, as was wrong about my motto too. I actually go with "Why half-ass what you can overdo" (see fuel system thread for details on that one)

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
WOW............this thread must of hit a nerve....35 responses in one day.......Sounds like a lot of people have at one time been dealt the same fate..........Hey.......I am a licensed NY dealer, and I got the shaft more than once......mostly from new car deals.......Was I in a position to sue? Absolutely....A signed contract in hand....10K on deposit for 6 months.......but know what? Not worth my time....got dep. back and I have been telling my story to anyone who will hear it...........Interestingly enough the dealership is a Merc, Lexus, Porsche,Jaguar, and Audi dealer........I cant begin to count how many people asked me my opinion to buy one of those cars...and I always remarked not to use that dealership............what they lost just from me...must count for something... ...Doug...you must know them in NJ.....Ray something or other.....

Doug, I am really sorry for this...I knew that you and Linda were set on it....and then they pull the rug out..........well....It's not worth suing...the majority of the responses on this thread says it all.................you are very much respected in your field........you need more bullet;s? Find another dealer.........find another car..........good luck my friend.........

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Take your money elsewhere.

It's a dirty game”, he said “that's the way the car business is played”.
:confused Are you sure that's what the salesman said??? I can't see what would possess anybody in the car business to make a statement like that. The car business is not a "dirty" game, it's the most competitive business I can think of. One of the few where consumers can look up the dealers cost on the internet. It's also one of very few businesses where trades are involved which forces negotiation and that freaks a lot of people out. The average joe hates to make a decision and want's to be told what to do. When you buy a house or a pair of shoes you don't trade your old one in, but with cars many people do.

And what's with the statement, "Never buy a car from a dealer"??? ALL cars are sold by dealers at least once. Most auto dealers are honest businessmen who work their asses off. Nobody stays in business for decades by dishonest dealing in any business.

One of the most frustrating things to me when I was a GM dealer was having somebody tell me what a bad experience they had when they bought their last car. I always responded, "Then why did you buy a car there??" Christ!! You have rewarded that dealers bad behavior with your purchase. That's like a girl who has sex with every guy that treats her like s**t and then complains about how men behave!!!

Although I only buy from Santa Margarita Ford today, I have purchased about a dozen cars from 7 different dealerships, 8 motorcycles, 2 boats, and 2 aircraft since I sold my dealership. Every one of them was a great experience. Contrast that with lousy experiences I've had with doctors, home builders, contractors, lawyers, and a host of other businesses. When I have a bad experience I vote with my $$, "fire" that provider, and take my business elsewhere. If everybody else did the same, creative destruction and Adam Smiths invisible hand would eliminate the bad players and the cream would rise to the top. Buy a car from someone else that you enjoy doing business with and don't burn any more brain cells on that bad experience.

Finally, I have been lambasted when I've made "blanket statements" about certain professions. I know I'd get heat if I said that most attorneys are thieving scoundrels, or most doctors are money hungry butchers. Yet members here feel free to blast auto dealers with derogatory and defamatory statements and that's unacceptable. In addition to Tomy Hamon, Shelby, Tom Glockner, and myself, there are a bunch of other current & former auto dealers that are members of this forum who are proud of our business, our firms, and of the way we conducted our transactions. The average auto dealer is a lot more involved in his community donating a lot more money, merchandise, and time than the average attorney. I have fired more doctors & attorneys that provided substandard service than I can count. Those I patronize today are the ones that have given me great service.

I suggest the same course of action in your auto purchases. Cheers.

Chip

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Only if it's not true.

How much money would you want to spend proving it is true? A lot of folks have gone down a similar path and turned an annoying problem into a very expensive one. If you put up a sign, they sue you, it becomes a pissing match over" he said, she said "and months, perhaps years later you have spent a small fortune. Believe me, I have seen it more than once . It sounds good and fun, but in practice it is quite dangerous unless you are willing to put some money at risk.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Dougie, how was yogi bear....did you get the 3d glasses.........we sat in the first row , when the turtle flew right over our heads........did you go to the office and take a wiff of the laughing gas.......just to take the edge off..........enjoy my friend.........Gino is coming by today to take the sonic blue keys, just incase...........gtjoey1314

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Only if it's not true.

How much money would you want to spend proving it is true? A lot of folks have gone down a similar path and turned an annoying problem into a very expensive one. If you put up a sign, they sue you, it becomes a pissing match over" he said, she said "and months, perhaps years later you have spent a small fortune. Believe me, I have seen it more than once . It sounds good and fun, but in practice it is quite dangerous unless you are willing to put some money at risk.

If it were important to me, A LOT!!! You are right, if he sues you, you would have to prove (civil cases only require a preponderance of evidence) the statements are true. With that done, you would likely have enough evidence and perhaps the civil courts recommendation, to move to a criminal case against the dealership. I don't think the state could prevail beyond a reasonable doubt but I haven't seen the evidence.

Okay, now chill out. It was just supposed to be a humorous suggestion, not literal instructions. Usually when I post, it is regarded and dismissed as light hearted non-sense, however I guess you guys were in the mood to get bent yesterday.

Last edited: