I nearly nailed it....

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Yesterday morning (on our way to the F1 Belgian GP) we decided to strech the GT's legs a little bit...

So we detoured towards Aachen and drove 30km of unrestricted Autobahn...

It was close but I think we only got to 197mph.

As you can see I am already off boost and we are doing 192-193....

The car was still pulling strong in 5th gear... and it is incredibly stable.

Unfortunately that was a 2 lane part of the Autobahn and as soon as I could see a vehicle at the horizon I would lift....

Attachments

• 197mphsmall2.JPG
    197mphsmall2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 313

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes... better go out and nail it. we are waiting.... :)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Di du have your hazards on as a take-off signal? ;-)

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
HA! I think it was the flash of the camera.

As per a take 2 on the 200mph quest you need a passenger and a long stretch of Autobhan with nobody.... At 200mph u do a mile in 17 seconds.... and there is always a bit of traffic. I was lifting off as soon as I saw a vehicle... I was not prepare to pass them at that speed, because you never know what they do.

So everytime we'd slow down and then take off again.... We hit 180-185 in several occasions.... then we ran out of Autobahn....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You might have actually been over 200. My speedo was still under at 187. I didn't bother looking when we GPSed it on the runway above 200.

I for one am calling this 197 a victory :biggrin

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
You might have actually been over 200. My speedo was still under at 187. I didn't bother looking when we GPSed it on the runway above 200.

I for one am calling this 197 a victory :biggrin

What a bleeding heart.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Never trust the speedo, always use a GPS.

H

HHGT

If anyone has a picture of a GT speedo doing over 200, please post it.

It would be hillarious to post it on the CF C6 Z06 section with the following question; Anyone ever do this with their Z06? :biggrin

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
When you lift it's like hitting the brakes... As you can see I am off boost as my friend was not quick enough with the camera...

We might have been above.... but at the end who cares? We werent after a true scientific proof... I wanted a new wallpaper for my PC....

Pretty good for a stock gal....

Hold on... I think the Silver ones were called Quick because they are the fastest of the bunch, no?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Aero Deceleration Loads

Mark told us in California (Rally II) while on the Nardo Vmax run that at terminal speed (just around 212 mph) just taking his foot off the accelerator resulted in a 1G deceleration just due to aerodynamic loads on the car. He said he didn't even touch the brakes to bring his speed down (which running the tank dry eventually did in about 3 laps at speed).
Seems you experienced just what he was talking about.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Hold on... I think the Silver ones were called Quick because they are the fastest of the bunch, no?

Exactly...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Sounds and looks like quite a rush!!! Must be nice not having to worry about State Troopers!!!