I killed my engine with a pressure washer

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Hello all,

I am the unfortunate soul whose GT died during the last Ford GT School. I am also the guy interviewed wearing the blue shirt during the Speed Channel show. When my supercharger blew it's seal my engine bay was coated in a thin layer of oil. I just recieved my supercharger back three days ago, installed it, and the car ran great. I then drove the car to the local self car wash and gently sprayed the engine compartment, taking care to cover the air inlets.

My car is now running very erratically and I am blowing a medium cloud of smoke when I give it a little gas. The smoke smells like fuel, a very, very rich mixture that is not igniting.

I have dried out the engine, disconnected the obvious connectors and blew them out with air. It might be the mass air flow sensor.

It has been 24 hours since the wash and its still running rough.

Any ideas?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I did this with the supercharger on my Jag. Spray washed the engine after a very dusty road and the car ran like crap and wouldn't idle for darn.:frown I limped the car to the dealer and they said this is a common on modern (Ford?) cars. What the problem is for some reason the computer went into a safe mode (very rich) and if I drive it for 15 to 20 miles the computer will re-learn it's self back to normal. After 15+ miles the car was fine and the check engine light went off. Hope this is your problem as well.:thumbsup

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Edson,

I've probably washed 10-15 FGT Engines and engine bays without a problem. I taped the air inlet ducts every time, though. I did not use a pressure washer, although it kind of depends HOW to use it. Water collects near the fuel injectors and it is always a good idea to make sure everything is snug before introducing water into the engine compartment. I would double check and make sure those are pushed in all of the way and there isn't a problem with the seal on any of them that may have let water by. I put MF towels there for the wash process just in case, but that is all I have to suggest here...I'm sure others will chime in.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hey Edson,

What Speed Channel show were you on? I saw Tanner Faust drive a GT 204 on Speed chanel show the other day, on Super Cars Revealed. I think that was at the Texas Mile.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Edson,

Water may have collected on the coil packs and is preventing them from firing. Try removing the decorative covers and pulling/drying the coil packs.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Triheart7: I was on the show featuring the ford GT school. I was wearing the tight blue long sleeve shirt, driving the tungsten. I have done a lot of interviews and I always have one liners that producers tend to include. P.S. my wife forbids me from wearing the blue shirt in public again.

Nota4re: I pulled the coil packs and it was dry.

I will bring the car to my ford dealer tomorrow and report back when I know more. The engine problems may not be related to my car wash, the problem did not show up immediately after the wash.

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
Try this

Disconnect the positive cable at the battery and let the car sit for 5 minutes. Reconnect the battery. This will reset the PCM. To speed up the learning, start the car and run the Air conditioning. When you run the AC the PCM learns quicker. Dan

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Thanks Dan,

I will try disconnecting the battery tonight. Strange how the A/C affects the PCM learning curve. Great tip.

Edson