I have decided to sell a historical Ford GT (40) item.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
CP15 the Silver car at Nardo was slightly faster than
PB1.1 theYellow car.
By less than one mile per hour.

Thinking it was because Cp15 was a generation older in the prototype build schedule.
And its engine was fully broken-in. At that time PB1. Was still a cream puff with only a few miles on her.

There are lots of great stories about both cars in development.

But the most recent is of course the freshest and solid.

After more than a year I had not the privilege to wheel a FGT.
Then after a log hot day in the sun. At the track in Vegas last August.

I was handed the keys to PB1.1 for a few laps around the road course.
Jumped in and ripped off some laps. I was a bit rusty but after 3-4 laps again started to feel comfortable sliding around under throttle.

Nearly everyone had gone home and I had the track to my self.
Sneaking up to speed foot on the floor through second and then third gear up the front straight. My thoughts went to “Dam this car has not lost a thing”.

I am still amazed by the way you can beat on this thing. And it comes back for more.
When you think about the number of drivers and the shear quantity of testing done to and in the small number of prototypes SVT had.

The things we did to those cars in the name of development and durability would make you sick. We would drive them to a race track. Run a durability test for 24 hours of on track time. Doing nothing but change the tires and add fuel. And then after 3 long days of thrashing the girl, it would be driven back to Dearborn to start yet one more test.
Some times in the lab on a chassis dyno. Or on the proving grounds. But the race tracks will always be the most memorable. We also used PB1.1 for most of the performance work. Even a few aftermarket parts were tried. All the Hoosier tire testing, some Brake pads, even my Penske Shocks. We were aloud to get a bit wild at times, it was big fun.

Places like:
Grattan Raceway
Mid-Ohio
Nelson Ledges
Barber Motorsports Park
Gingerman

PB1.1 also was tasked with performing at SVTOA events. Giving on track rides for charity. I was privileged when asked to drive at a few events.
The most memorable was the SVTOA @ Summit Point.
We used the Shenandoah Circuit. And if any of you know the place.
There is an up-hill climb that crests under the bridge.
Just as you reach peak torque in third gear. The road drops away.
If done correctly you are airborne with 4 wheels off for what feels like 60 feet.
You lift off the pedal long enough to not pop the axle CV joints.
Then softly land on the downhill side, step back into the throttle and charge the next corner.

While this is happening the passengers next to me were testing the brake pedal on their side. And wondering if the 20 bucks they donated to Big Brothers and Big Sisters was a good investment?

People lined up along the bridge railing to watch the show for two days straight.
It was the wildest thing ever. Felt like a circus performer, and raised over 6K for the
Kids.

Back at FGT meet in Vegas. I am standing on the load pedal spinning the now bald rear tires in third gear. After all that, Thing is still Bad Ass and still scary fast.

THE FGT IS THE REAL DEAL

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great post Alex!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The stories are the best .I could listen to Alex ,Tom and all the other ford gt team members tell there Gt stories all day and night .Everyone involved has stories.I was just asking Rich about some of his stories !!
Can we have story time at the next rally ???

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
CP15 the Silver car at Nardo was slightly faster than
PB1.1 theYellow car.
By less than one mile per hour.

Thinking it was because Cp15 was a generation older in the prototype build schedule.
And its engine was fully broken-in. At that time PB1. Was still a cream puff with only a few miles on her.

There are lots of great stories about both cars in development.

But the most recent is of course the freshest and solid.

After more than a year I had not the privilege to wheel a FGT.
Then after a log hot day in the sun. At the track in Vegas last August.

I was handed the keys to PB1.1 for a few laps around the road course.
Jumped in and ripped off some laps. I was a bit rusty but after 3-4 laps again started to feel comfortable sliding around under throttle.

Nearly everyone had gone home and I had the track to my self.
Sneaking up to speed foot on the floor through second and then third gear up the front straight. My thoughts went to “Dam this car has not lost a thing”.

I am still amazed by the way you can beat on this thing. And it comes back for more.
When you think about the number of drivers and the shear quantity of testing done to and in the small number of prototypes SVT had.

The things we did to those cars in the name of development and durability would make you sick. We would drive them to a race track. Run a durability test for 24 hours of on track time. Doing nothing but change the tires and add fuel. And then after 3 long days of thrashing the girl, it would be driven back to Dearborn to start yet one more test.
Some times in the lab on a chassis dyno. Or on the proving grounds. But the race tracks will always be the most memorable. We also used PB1.1 for most of the performance work. Even a few aftermarket parts were tried. All the Hoosier tire testing, some Brake pads, even my Penske Shocks. We were aloud to get a bit wild at times, it was big fun.

Places like:
Grattan Raceway
Mid-Ohio
Nelson Ledges
Barber Motorsports Park
Gingerman

PB1.1 also was tasked with performing at SVTOA events. Giving on track rides for charity. I was privileged when asked to drive at a few events.
The most memorable was the SVTOA @ Summit Point.
We used the Shenandoah Circuit. And if any of you know the place.
There is an up-hill climb that crests under the bridge.
Just as you reach peak torque in third gear. The road drops away.
If done correctly you are airborne with 4 wheels off for what feels like 60 feet.
You lift off the pedal long enough to not pop the axle CV joints.
Then softly land on the downhill side, step back into the throttle and charge the next corner.

While this is happening the passengers next to me were testing the brake pedal on their side. And wondering if the 20 bucks they donated to Big Brothers and Big Sisters was a good investment?

People lined up along the bridge railing to watch the show for two days straight.
It was the wildest thing ever. Felt like a circus performer, and raised over 6K for the
Kids.

Back at FGT meet in Vegas. I am standing on the load pedal spinning the now bald rear tires in third gear. After all that, Thing is still Bad Ass and still scary fast.

THE FGT IS THE REAL DEAL

I enjoyed your stories about running the test car in 1st gear for 8 straight hours while bumping the rev limiter. Or going in circles on the skid pad for hours in order to check the wheel bearings. These cars are so well built and stout. Everytime I drive from my home to the track, spend all day there, and then drive home....I'm reminded of the durability of these cars. You can have the best of both worlds...a track car that you can take to a Concours.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
How about a post ; My favorite stories from Gt team members !!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
it's pollen season out here in NC.....
Waldo - did ya get settled in?

Mad,

No kidding on the pollen. If you've never seen it, you wouldn't believe it.

If by settled in you mean, "Did you install the new Accufab exhaust and change the oil in your GT before all the boxes were unpacked and the family pictures were hung on the walls?" Then yes, I am settled in to the new house.

...the Silver car at Nardo was...faster...
:wink Great story, Alex! Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Jason

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Alex, This great info!

Could you please elaborate on what aftermarket items were tested? Hoosier tires as an example, what was done. How your shocks were tested... Brake pads, which ones, outcome... What were the other aftermarket items you remember being tested? This is highly valuable information.

Thank You,
David

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Summitt SVTOA

Alex I am one of the close ford dealers to Summit Point and I heard alot of stories about that day.

I remember people telling me you guys dogged the car for 2 days on the track and then left in it for the drive back to detroit.

I said you mean they trailered it back and these guys said hell no they left and drove the car home.

I thought to myself dam things are changing at Ford Motor Company. The guys from SVTOA loved that day.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Lowered the price on the ebay shocks