I Finally Staggered Home

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Ah, there's no place like home after extended wandering. I kind of feel that way about the GT community and this Forum. Some of the old timers around this joint may recognize my username from the early days. I bought a spankin' new GT back in '06, and kept it for nearly 7 years and 23,000 miles. I was besotted with the car, and it became the benchmark against which I judged many of the other exotics I owned during that time.

I sold the car in a daft pursuit of a McLaren P1, which never panned out. I thereafter drowned my sorrows with some other incredible cars, including, among many others, these two beauties:

vivian mac.jpg

speciale.jpg

I mention these cars not only to show off how awesome I am, but also to give some context as to what just happened: I done bought myself another GT. And no, it ain't the new one, it's a late '05 with a whopping 800 miles on it. Funny what can happen to a guy while innocently wandering around Jonesboro, Arkansas.

So, after owning these paddle shifted, launch controlled, pin-your-ears-back, carbon fiber wonders, why would a serial car buyer retrograde to a 10 year old GT? The answers are simple, but man did I spend a fortune to figure them out:

1. The GT is a known quantity; it is what it is and it ain't gonna change. The new GT, thankfully, goes in a completely different direction than the old. Cool, yes, but different. This makes the "old" GT even more desirable to me. It has stood the test of time nicely. I still dig the styling and especially that it so perfectly evokes the Mark 1. When I see one on the road (almost never) I still turn around and follow it for a few blocks like a goofball groupie. When you buy the latest Ferrari, it's cool. One year later, you own the latest outdated Ferrari. Oh, and if you DARE to put any miles on it, you have shot its value in the head. I sold my first GT after loving on it for 7 years and 23k miles and actually made money. I asked my wife to carefully document the moment, as it was a once in lifetime event.

2. The GT is the perfect combination of American Hot Rod and exotic performance. I don't think there's a car that compares in this regard. I Whippled my last car, and for this one I'm adding a little Heffner TT action. I predict that when we are done, it will produce power which is "adequate" as Mr. Bentley used to say. All this fun for significantly less money than the cars I've been driving recently.

3. I miss shifting my OWN gears. Yea, the paddle shifts are certainly faster, and at the track there is no substitute. I've owned at least 10 paddle shifters, and there is no debating their efficiency. I'm also sick of them. I've got a 991 GT3 with an exquisite PDK in it. When I want to paddle shift, I can scratch that itch quite nicely.

4. I can have service performed on the GT without selling a kidney. Really, in comparison to my McLaren LT, it's mechanically quite simple. Can you imagine an out-of-warranty repair on a McLaren or Ferrari? I can. As I have noted before, I'd sooner wipe on a big gob of Jalepeno-laced Preparation H than own an exotic after the warranty expires.

5. I took my prior GT to the Mojave Magnum. I went 210. I'm STILL bragging about it. I have yet to drive a car that produces the effortless, rock solid speed of a GT. I can't imagine what the thing will feel like with Twin Honkin' Turbos on it. Gettin' misty just thinking about it.

So, as Samwise Gamgee said...

"Well, I'm back".

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Welcome home bro. I've missed your detailed road tests.

Chip

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
And we are glad to have you back Mr. Mitty! Love your line about the J prepped Prep H. When is your next road test coming up???

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Glad your back Mitty. :cheers

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Post a pic when you get the upgrades.....

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Wow, Welcome back! Really missed your editorial comparisons and wit. :thumbsup

(And here I thought you were talking about returning home after an extended mind bending celebration from our fantastic win at LeMans! :biggrin ) :cheers

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've always enjoyed your writing! Welcome back. Congrats on your recent purchase (what color?).

Again, welcome back!!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome back Buddy !! I've learned all of the above and still loving my GT after 10 years.. :thumbsup

There's no place like home, There's no place like home,There's no place like home,

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha ha ha.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I've been a GT fanatic partly because of your reviews! I've read every detail of your reviews as I pursue the "perfect" car. Welcome back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Well, that was a most welcome post to read! Welcome back, WM. I will patiently await your thoughtful review of your twin-turbofied GT.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Welcome back Mitty. Your auto reviews were the finest I have read on the web!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Mitty
I have always enjoyed reading your posts.
For the record we are all FGT goofballs here!
The rallies prove that theory in reality!
How about a few pictures of your new GT?
On a kinda funny note you are one of many who have sold and have come back to our beloved timeless beauty!
Anyway, welcome back!
My best regards Ron AKA Rocketman

Tomcat

GT Owner
Welcome back...
I have reread your reviews a number of times...whenever I get the itch for something more "modern".
Thanks for making the trip that I could not...and more importantly, coming home!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome home!

Ed

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Great post W. Mitty. Always enjoy your posts.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Welcome back! If you ever make it to Atlanta and want to drive your old car, let me know:biggrin

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Welcome back, Mike! It was great to chat and catch up with you! The twin-snales are going to put a great big grin on your face! We need pics when she's done!!

Heffner's kit has also lasted the test of time! You will be so very impressed!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ill be honest, I have ZERO surprise that you have a GT again. All of your reviews and comparisons, somehow, used the GT as the car the others were judged by. Sure many of the others, were better, but the baseline was the GT.

Welcome back. Now post pix of the GT!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
This is a great read. You are not the first guy to sell one and then want "it" back. And you articulated the "why" quite nicely. "That's what I'm talking about," kinda talk.
Congrats.

It's nice to see enthusiasm and follow through on something like this.