I am driving my FORD GT to Cabo San lucas Baja California Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
I am driving my way to Cabo for a week in Late December. Three day trip 2200 miles round trip. From Los Angeles to Cabo and Back. I will post my photos on the forum,

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
I am driving my way to Cabo for a week in Late December. Three day trip 2200 miles round trip. From Los Angeles to Cabo and Back. I will post my photos on the forum,

What do you do if you get a flat tire between Guerrrero Negro and Santa Rosalia? Or between Loreto and LaPaz? :confused
Good Luck and post pictures. FLY GT40

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
chase rig

Are you doing the trip with one or more chase vehicles?

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

You have a "bigger pair" than I, sir. :bow:bow:bow

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You have a "bigger pair" than I, sir. :bow:bow:bow

+1

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Please read this...

http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/carjackedmexicobaja/

And this...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36297

I keep up with the offroad world, and more specifically the Baja 1000. This kind of thing is becoming much more common, in fact there are a growing number of big name offroad teams who will not be racing south of the border because of the rampant corruption & crime.

When you go please make sure to travel in large groups.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
No chase car, just driving and having fun

If I get a flat any where along the road I have tire repair kits that I will take along with me. Minimal tools that I Know that I can use to repair any mechanical problem.. My car is in perfect running condition and I know that what can possible go wrong with my car I can repair along the way....

I am a pilot and I have my own plane. I thing that I may need can be 3 hrs away with a phone call to my friend pilot... Plane is registerd to fly into Mexico... I will take octane boost since Mexican gas maybe lower octane... Not to sure on octane #....

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I will take octane boost since Mexican gas maybe lower octane... Not to sure on octane #....

Pemex premium is about the equivalent of 87 here in the states. You may want to consider some way of taking some boost from the engine just in case.

Don't let your car out of sight at the station. I recently read a report about one of the attendants at a Pemex loosening the lug nuts on a chase vehicle. :thumbsdow

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
sounds like a really cool trip, just what this car was made for.

frb3@comcast.net

Dec 5, 2007
Some are afraid to take their cars out of their garages, others are afraid to put miles on the car, I have put 18,000 miles on mine in 7 months. Come spring time I will put some serious miles on the car. Thats what I bought it for. Congrats on your proposed trip.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Some are afraid to take their cars out of their garages, others are afraid to put miles on the car, I have put 18,000 miles on mine in 7 months. Come spring time I will put some serious miles on the car. Thats what I bought it for. Congrats on your proposed trip.

I'm afraid of going places without laws. As a Gringo, driving into Mexico with anything other than a beat up '72 Pinto is like having a sign on your back that says 'Steal Me' or 'Screw with Me'. :ack

Not too long ago an investigation concluded that several SUV's stolen out of John Wayne Airport ended up in the hands of Mexican police as their personal transportation.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Did it on dirt bikes with a bunch of friends and it was a tuff ride. As already stated "you are my hero". Do you have a ride-along?...... be careful!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Your GUTZIE , in Texas we don't go across into Mexico for ANY reason! TOO MUCH CRIME. Hope you don't loose your ride like on "PINKS". TGH

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I've got a trailer, 4 door truck, live in So Cal, Spanish fluent friend and no job. Call me if you need help. 949 683 9946

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Pack heat.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pack heat.

Oh! "Would that he COULD!"

(This trip would just scare the 'beejeebers' outta ME on many fronts...)

'Yella' Stripe Pockets

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
You're Kidding Right?

cimaxgt:

Unless this thread is intended to be provocative, you are either dangerously uninformed, have a prodigious amount of courage or just don't care about the potential consequences. Literally speaking, without a license to kill and the means to effectively do so, not even for a NY second would I consider taking such a high risk trip.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

this is a very bad idea. there have been numerous reports as of late about people bein carjacked and robbed at gunpoint just south of Tijuana. even a baja 1000 race team got jacked. driving that car down there just says you have alot of $$$ and they will hold you hostage for $$$. you are risking more than just loosing your car, you can loose your life too.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
I do not see any problems arising If I did I would be in a cave....

I will be leaving at midnight.
Los angeles to Tijuana 1.5 hr Refuel
Tijuana to Ensenada .30 hr
Ensenada to San Quintin 1.5 hr
San Quintin to El Rosario .30 Refuel
El rosario to Catavina 1.5 hr
Catavina to Guerrerro Negro 2 hr Refuel
Gerrero Negro to Santa Rosalia 1.5 HR
Santa Rosalia to Loreto 2 hr
Loreto to Ciudad Constitution 2hr Refuel
Ciudad Constition to La Paz 2Hr
La Paz to Cabo San Lucas 1.5 Hr

Total time 16.5 Hrs

All of my driving will be done with only fuel, bathroom, and millitary revison stops. In baja, the roads are awesome to drive, lots of winding roads with lots of open desert panorama. No traffic watsover, I will average 100mph + on open road and 35mph in town. The condition of the 1 Highway is comparable to Arizona Highways with the exception of a few miles that need repair. Millitary revison are used for drug enforment. I will not have any problems with them , If anything the millitary as any person person in Baja will be find an interest in may GT....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I will be leaving at midnight.
Los angeles to Tijuana 1.5 hr Refuel
Tijuana to Ensenada .30 hr
Ensenada to San Quintin 1.5 hr
San Quintin to El Rosario .30 Refuel
El rosario to Catavina 1.5 hr
Catavina to Guerrerro Negro 2 hr Refuel
Gerrero Negro to Santa Rosalia 1.5 HR
Santa Rosalia to Loreto 2 hr
Loreto to Ciudad Constitution 2hr Refuel
Ciudad Constition to La Paz 2Hr
La Paz to Cabo San Lucas 1.5 Hr

Total time 16.5 Hrs

All of my driving will be done with only fuel, bathroom, and millitary revison stops. In baja, the roads are awesome to drive, lots of winding roads with lots of open desert panorama. No traffic watsover, I will average 100mph + on open road and 35mph in town. The condition of the 1 Highway is comparable to Arizona Highways with the exception of a few miles that need repair. Millitary revison are used for drug enforment. I will not have any problems with them , If anything the millitary as any person person in Baja will be find an interest in may GT....

If you're intent on taking this trip, I hope you have absolutely no pblms whatsoever ... mechanical OR human based. :thumbsup

Stay safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.